Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the National Harbor in PG County?
I love it! It is fantastic!!! 10 17.54%
It's OK, and should get better as the economy recovers! 18 31.58%
It could be better...a whole LOT better. 22 38.60%
They should rename it "National Disaster". 7 12.28%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,344 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind that the National Harbor is a destination Convention/Resort area w/close proximity to Washington DC and Baltimore. It wasn't specifically built for the locals. The locals are just an added attraction. If you stay at one of the hotels, you do experience the 'resort' atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 09:43 PM

520 posts, read 1,006,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjwill8 View Post
Keep in mind that the National Harbor is a destination Convention/Resort area w/close proximity to Washington DC and Baltimore. It wasn't specifically built for the locals. The locals are just an added attraction. If you stay at one of the hotels, you do experience the 'resort' atmosphere.
No disrespect, but I think anyone and everyone who makes the statement "National Harbor is a tourist destination" and/or "National Harbor was not meant for locals" does not know what they are talking about. Period. And, I am not personally attacking you, but several people on this thread have made that statement and that is totally incorrect and can be dismissed with one FACT - the National Harbor have built condos - from the $400K to the $1M+ - and already are actively advertising townhomes for sale. Therefore, it is not a tourist destination as tourist destinations do not have residences. The only resident who lived at a tourist attraction was Michael Jackson (Neverland).

Second, the Fort Washington area is not a tourist attraction. There is nothing within 3 miles of National Harbor that is a tourist destination. The 1st closest would be Old Town, the second would be downtown DC. No one is checking for Oxon Hill Manor nor Fort Washington Park - not in numbers significant enough to generate revenue.

It is a contrived attempt to recreate SoHo in the PG county area. In its 300 acre totality, it is a MUD (Multi Use Development), and a poorly done one at that. And that is reflected in the fact that no one knows what in the heck National Harbor is supposed to be (residential, tourist destination, developer's purgatory, glitzy rest stop off of I-495). It's far from a tourist attraction; it's more like a business stay area and conference center. I guarantee you that they get more conference related stays than tourist.

I think people need to stop making excuses for a poorly developed project.

Last edited by ajsmith365; 11-24-2010 at 10:00 PM..

Old 11-25-2010, 07:04 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
I haven't been there but the location seems forced. I mean why would anyone go to that area besides the National Harbor? You can get many of the benefits of National Harbor by hanging out inDC or Alexandria.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:08 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,403,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I haven't been there but the location seems forced. I mean why would anyone go to that area besides the National Harbor? You can get many of the benefits of National Harbor by hanging out inDC or Alexandria.
Wow another Maryland Hating comment from a pissed off Virginia Tax Payer...........

Old 11-29-2010, 01:02 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Wow another Maryland Hating comment from a pissed off Virginia Tax Payer...........
I don't hate Maryland, I live in PG County, work in Baltimore. Just my observation.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:03 PM

342 posts, read 912,819 times
Pg national harbor is nice but do not make the same mistake we made here in baltimore, limit public transportation to the harbor, if you dont crime will follow!!

Public transportation is the decline of great things

owings mills mall- was at one point almost a rival to tysons corner
(notice i said almost)

harbor place- infested with loud, bad mouth high schoolers

the only nice parts of baltimore harbor now are, fells point, and harbor east!!! Both have limited public trans access!!!

National harbor would be great but its no retail stores, build a neiman marcus, lord and taylor, nordstrom, or something!!

Besides that it seems pretty nice to me!!!

Old 03-17-2011, 02:18 AM

449 posts, read 1,176,210 times
I agree with the threadstarter, the variety of shopping at the National Harbor sucks.

I anticipated more from the harbor since it's in my town.

Even the night life is boring, Cadillac Ranch/Public House are like ghost towns on weekends IMO.

Cadillac Ranch got desperate and tried to lift the dress code requirement (don't get me wrong, I'm all for a dress code), but it was too late.

No one is checking for it anymore

Gaylord hotel is overpriced for what you get and making the club exclusive to hotel guests only hurts IMO

Old 03-17-2011, 07:49 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_II_DMV View Post
I agree with the threadstarter, the variety of shopping at the National Harbor sucks.

I anticipated more from the harbor since it's in my town.

Even the night life is boring, Cadillac Ranch/Public House are like ghost towns on weekends IMO.

Cadillac Ranch got desperate and tried to lift the dress code requirement (don't get me wrong, I'm all for a dress code), but it was too late.

No one is checking for it anymore

Gaylord hotel is overpriced for what you get and making the club exclusive to hotel guests only hurts IMO
We're still doing this thread? LOL

Yeah I agree that it is a bit overpriced. I've noticed that they are trying to do what ajsmith365 was suggesting and making it more residential. They now have a grocery store, CVS, Baja Fresh, and they are trying to build some stuff in the "Peanut" like a gas station, carry out, sit down restaurant and a bank. They are building a townhome complex and are about to start building an apartment complex as well. To me, I think they have realized that the tourist appeal was not happening and now they are aiming for a different approach.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:04 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
To me, I think they have realized that the tourist appeal was not happening and now they are aiming for a different approach.
That's what I think, too. I like the new direction and hope it works out for them.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:06 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,403,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorefella View Post
Pg national harbor is nice but do not make the same mistake we made here in baltimore, limit public transportation to the harbor, if you dont crime will follow!!

Public transportation is the decline of great things

owings mills mall- was at one point almost a rival to tysons corner
(notice i said almost)

harbor place- infested with loud, bad mouth high schoolers

the only nice parts of baltimore harbor now are, fells point, and harbor east!!! Both have limited public trans access!!!

National harbor would be great but its no retail stores, build a neiman marcus, lord and taylor, nordstrom, or something!!

Besides that it seems pretty nice to me!!!
I do agree with what you are stating but can you explain how Alexandria and Arlington is able to maintain Upscale Retail Growth, Tourism, and Office Tower Density integrated with Rapid Transit of Subways and Buses(local and Commuter)?????????

Tysons Corner is building 4 Major Subway Rail Stations along with Widening I-495 to 12 Lanes including Toll Lanes and for some reason I believe Tysons Corner(I & II) will continue to survive well after the Subway and Highway Projects are completed...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland