Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 04:33 PM

465 posts, read 928,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
But I actually own a Selena cd!! You can't get more Hispanic than that!!!
Dude, I eat at Chipotle sometimes and when I get a dark tan people sometimes thinks I'm a tall Colombian.

Clearly I am the most Hispanic.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:40 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,623,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
Dude, I eat at Chipotle sometimes and when I get a dark tan people sometimes thinks I'm a tall Colombian.

Clearly I am the most Hispanic.
I was just fired from Chipotle...

Old 03-30-2011, 10:00 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnative27 View Post
Hence that's why shows like the Cosby show was created, however even when watching these shows it still doesn't seem like real possiblity for us. In all actuality PG County is the Cosby show realized, however we can't see that and we still haven't took control of the county and fix the problems it has.
The Cosby Show was a great show, across all racial lines.

The problem with it is the same problem with all the white shows. It portrays everyone as being professional/exceptional and/or yuppie to be 'normal'.

My problem with that is being white, I didn't grow up yuppie or hick, I was just a regular person. I think this is the case with blacks as well - either buppie or ghetto seem to be the two options portrayed, with nothing imbetween.

'Yuppie/Buppie' is not 'normal', it is exceptional. Cosby Show showed an exceptional family - regardless of color, they would still be an exceptional family on anyone's measurements. Most white shows show the same thing, everyone is young and making money and has great jobs - not the case with reality. It's a disservice to all of us good people who are unable to attain that despite education, etc., but still good people.

The reality is that black or white, the mass majority of us are don't fall into those categories. Although, maybe I'm projecting 'regular America' to 'exceptional DC', which might not apply entirely to DC, I don't know.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:59 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,773 times
K street made some true points. I must admit, I do feel that poor people in DC have better chances for advancement than poor people anywhere in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: