Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 08:04 PM

4 posts, read 24,139 times

Advertisements

Shelton=depressing and known for meth labs. Elma and Montesao not much better. But still better than Shelton! they have meeth labs too, but more choices, sorta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 07:47 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,371,808 times
I'd avoid living inside Shelton city limits if you have the choice. It is a poorly run town, terrible streets, ugly neighborhoods and as someone mention in a previous post, few places with sidewalks, even in the few nicer parts of town. For a town this size, the traffic is terrible and congested. Outside of town in the rest of Mason County there are some nice areas if you can afford them, especially along the waterfront on Oakland Bay which has some really nice homes including some with nice views of the Olympics.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:02 PM

534 posts, read 3,110,780 times
Yep I wouldn't live in most of the downtown areas personally but the city has made an honest effort to clean things up... During the day it's a nice little bustling area. There's a new BBQ place that opened up last year and is quite excellent.

Traffic is bad because of excessive growth in the area. I've noticed it also.

The town has changed quite a bit just in the time I've lived here, some ways good, some ways bad.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 11,469 times
it might be filled w/ hicks, but I think the people are nice. I am from Seattle & grew up in Shelton too, so there was some shock at first. I don't live there, but if I were to go back. I'd live in Olympia-better schools, more diverse, like a city, but not as pricey or big as Seattle. But just take your to Brehmers/Mason Co. Collision. He will rip you off!

Old 03-30-2009, 09:57 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,673,065 times
I have looked at a lot of real estate in the Shelton area, overall it's become a commuter town with the huge housing developments off hwy 101 west of town. The downtown business district has been cleaned up over the last ten years and presents it self as a kind of historical area. The only thing I didn't like about the housing was that most of the newer homes were in and around the "new" part of town, that's to say the strip malls, with fast food outlets. I was looking for real small town life and Shelton was just getting too strung out to think of it as small. In spite of all that I would have to say it is very well situated to some of the best western Washington scenery, snow capped hills that drop to the misty waterways of Hood Canal. I think you'll find a common thread among the posts that attempt to describe this beautiful but confounding area. Most of Washington is rural, and time does have a way of slowing down some for these towns, that said, there is an overt poverty in these rural areas that the "quaint" cutesy towns painted over and thus garnered the tourist business. Shelton is definitly working class, the majority of it's citizens are not well off. Like all small towns the locals love their high school sports, and family life is different in these towns when compared to Seattle or Portland, people don't need much from the local culture, they seem satisfied with things the way they are, newcomers sometimes propose to gentrify the town at the expense of those who earn just enough to live their life but have no extra cash for 'cultural" endeavors. Life is very predictable for these people, go to work, come home, eat, tv, and bed time. There is no night life whatsoever, you would need to go to Olympia to have anything resembling a night on the town, and even Oly isn't exactly a metropolis. Elma is smaller yet but is not overun with strip malls or fast food. Elma is a valley town so it's more agricultural, it's on a par with Shelton insofar as the local populace is concerned with primary home life and local sports. It's a clean town, you'll find farm towns are a little less edgy than timber towns, I'm guessing it has to do with the local economy being local and not "owned" by the timber companies. Montesano is the Grays Harbor county seat and it is a truly nice example of what small towns could be and should be. "Monte", as it's called by the locals has been a farm town also, it is where the farmers of the nearby Wynoochee valley come to get their supplies and socialize with the townies, they have some good eateries in town, it's small town USA no doubt about it. If you have the time you should visit in the different seasons (2) lol, the winters in the Grays Harbor area can be daunting to the hardiest of souls, the wind can blow straight through your clothing and chill you to the bone. Summers are beautiful and make the winter seem like the dues for all this wonderful scenery. Each of the three towns has something to offer, you'll just have to size up the housing to fit your needs. Monte is the most expensive for housing followed by Elma and Shelton. All three areas have a wide spread in home prices.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 10,987 times
Default Shelton Wasington

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidBlue View Post
I've read the information on City-Data about Shelton, but was wondering if anyone has more information about the city. I was wondering how Shelton would compare to Elma/Montesano.
Intrinsic value of an authentic "Downtown core" will enhance the quality of life for anyone, and that is what you will find in Shelton Washington. The City's geographic area, which is a transportation hub, and its proximity to the state capital has fueled one of the best bedroom communities in the South Puget Sound. The city lies at the foothills of the Olympic Moutains and is adjacent to Oaklandbay/Hammersley Inlet. The mixture of an authentic downtown core with unique shops, restaurants, and scentic beauty has made Shelton an attractive place to live, work and play! These patterns have created a strong community identity and help residents with a sense of place.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:30 AM

1 posts, read 10,701 times
I wouldn't recommend ANYONE move to Shelton, as stated above it is a very redneck town but no else has mentioned is the fact that methamphetamine runs rampid thru this area. And its true three types of people live there,retirees, middle class and drug addicts. Absolutley nothing for the children to do, so they turn to drugs, sex and believe it or not what they consider gangs. I would say stay in Elma, far better off. The only thing I can give Shelton is it is absolutley beautiful in the Spring and Summer.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 10,532 times
I was born in Shelton, and Ive grown up in shelton. I moved away after HS for college, and stayed away for a few years. Yes, it is lacking much to do for most types of kids nowadays. If your kids are shopper/videogamer type kids, dont raise them here. Shelton is all about the outdoors... If your kids love to hike, swim, fish, camp, ride bikes (motor or not), play sports, DO STUFF - Shelton is the place to be. The schools are surprisingly adequate for a small "hick town" - I myself graduated near the top of my class and went on to get 2 bachelor's degrees and am working on my masters. Shelton schools gave me all I needed to be successful. The town has a bad rep for turning out druggie kids and teen moms, but lets look @ this realistically - If your teen is pregnant and doing drugs, thats YOUR fault, not the town they live in. Also, statistically, we have a lower dropout and teen pregnancy percentage than all of the Olympia, Lacey, and Tumwater high schools. And thats based on percentage, not total number. All in all, Shelton is a GREAT place to raise a family. Who cares if the pavement downtown (in what could be considered the historical district of the town) is old and bumpy. The spd limit is like 20, so who cares?? Most people here drive older cars anyway! LMAO! Really though, the proof is in the pudding. When I letf this little "hicktown" I figured Id only be back to visit family during the holidays. Thought the city'd be the place for me. and surprise surprise - as soona s my husband (who was also raised in Shelton) decided to start a family, we moved back here. Thats saying a lot. Give Shelton a try!! Actually - stay away, we like to keep out population low!

Old 12-16-2010, 12:19 AM

1 posts, read 10,461 times
I just graduated from there and immediately left for university. I'm a well traveled girl, however low-class, and I would never wish living in Shelton on anyone. It ruined my family life and its amazing how much the town you live in controls your life. There is hardly any opportunities for people here. I often heard people say its like the twilight zone; Once you get in you never get out. I am thankful that that wasn't the case for me. There is literally no chance I would move back there, not for a million dollars, you would have to kill me first. Drugs are an insane problem here. Olympia, while it might look just as rough on the edges, would be a much better choice. The schools are so much better and there are actual activities for people to do. Shelton is only apt for people who have lived there their whole lives and don't know any better. I feel truly sorry for all those who are still there. The culture is increasingly lacking.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:56 PM

6 posts, read 27,182 times
Default I am Prem, Physical therapist about to move to Shelton to work in Fir lane health & rehab...Need info on Shelton life!

Hi

I am from India and I am about to move to Shelton for work. I dont have my family yet here with me but planning to get them soon. So I would like to know about safe places to live in shelton and the best school for my kids (one in 2nd grade and other in kinder garden). My work place is going to be Firlane health & rehab in North 13th street. I appreciate any information in this regard.

Thanks

Prem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington