Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2013, 01:56 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,109,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
lol. Or Mid West too. I guess the ship could have a lot of names on it. lol

St. Cloud, Minnesota has only had 2 above normal day highs in the last 24 days.

Orlando, Florida only 7 times above normal with the day high since May 13th!(32 days)

Not even Florida can get hotter than normal. But its the night lows that are mostly above normal ruining the average data on paper.
u realize above normal moisture level are what's making us cooler then it should be in the day and warmer at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 02:26 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,338,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Sun peaked out a few times this afternoon, but now it's raining again. Temp dropped down to 69 F/21 C.
I hope the rain stays over there. Mid 70's and sunshine here.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:33 PM

83,527 posts, read 75,355,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
No, that's a plus not a problem. If we want to look at temperature, average temperature is the most meaningful, looking at just the days or nights is biased. Nothing is hidden, you're getting the true average.
A lot of times when someone shows a map they'll point out which was the contributor if there was a big sea saw.

I like looking at the details, what has it been at night, what has it been during the day. But like I also said... we've become acustom to looking at the averages.

Most people are sleeping at night. So like I said, if they can't go to the beach for a month in July because its so cold but the nights are very warm, Those maps will show above normal and will make it seem like we've had a warm month.. You know what I mean?

Case in point, I pointed out Orlando Florida has only had 7 days with the highs above normal Since May 13th. ..... But yet they have only 10 nights below normal. Meaning, 12 days normal or above VS 21 nights normal or above.

How about June 2013 for Raliegh North Carolina. Only 5 days above normal. 12 nights above normal. So only 1 night out of 13 this June has been below normal. Guess what the average is. .......... So while residents of Raliegh might complain about outside not being June like many times, they are 1.1 above average for the month "because of the nights"

Old 06-14-2013, 03:03 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
A lot of times when someone shows a map they'll point out which was the contributor if there was a big sea saw.

I like looking at the details, what has it been at night, what has it been during the day. But like I also said... we've become acustom to looking at the averages.

Most people are sleeping at night. So like I said, if they can't go to the beach for a month in July because its so cold but the nights are very warm, Those maps will show above normal and will make it seem like we've had a warm month.. You know what I mean?
Yep, people usually pay more attention to the days than the nights, but the maps will show it's above normal due to nights because that's what the reality is, physically there's little reason to weight days over nights. Looking at the details is interesting, but the overall average gives the least biased picture.

I should have added, if a month is unusually wet/cloudy, nights will tended to be warmer than average and days cooler than average. That doesn't mean it was a cool month, just that wetter, cloudier months result in a smaller diurnal range. Conversely, a dry, sunny month will result in above average days and below average nights, but it's not a warm spell, just a dry spell. Looking at averages erases that effect.

Remember early May? The daytime temps (here, on the coast maybe not) were a bit above average, but the nights barely scraping freezing; it would have been misleading to call it a warm spell.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:06 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
How about June 2013 for Raliegh North Carolina. Only 5 days above normal. 12 nights above normal. So only 1 night out of 13 this June has been below normal. Guess what the average is. .......... So while residents of Raliegh might complain about outside not being June like many times, they are 1.1 above average for the month "because of the nights"
I'd still say they're having an above average month, it's just been cloudy/rainy. Also, especially for those without A/C, summer nights matter, I feel them just as much as the days. Since I don't own A/C, the cooler nights lead to more indoor cooling, and more bareable sleeping temperatures. The difference between NYC and here (we had hotter days, barely) in terms of indoor comfort without A/C was enormous in the heat wave a weeks ago. So I'd like to weight both equally.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:49 PM

Check it out. You be the judge... Latest Euro for Philly and Baltimore. These arent the "max" temps but you can get a feel of whats to come looking at 2pm(18z) and 8pm(00z) timeframe. I'm posting Danbury and Hartford in the CT forum.

I do see an 80 and an 81 for philly so Sunday and Monday will be in the low 80s at least.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:57 PM

If anyone has a 3 letter code for me to check, just let me know, I'll grab the data. Just give me some time.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:17 PM

29,537 posts, read 19,632,331 times

Old 06-14-2013, 04:22 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,227,309 times
Had another downpour this afternoon. Now it's just a cloudy and cool 63 F/17 C at 6:30PM.

Quote:
If anyone has a 3 letter code for me to check, just let me know, I'll grab the data. Just give me some time.
FWN

Old 06-14-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post

FWN
I noticed that update of the Euro didnt have much rain for us next 7 days. I guess thats good news.

Anyone else feel free to ask and let me know if you want it in Celsius. I believe international codes will work too.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather