Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: London vs Chicago
London 34 39.53%
Chicago 52 60.47%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 09:47 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
London has only won 3 climate battles as far as I'm aware; a narrow win against Warsaw, a win against Bogota and a thrashing of La Paz. I think people must just see the name and vote for the other city, without actually looking at the averages.

It's a pretty neutral climate, so you'd expect it to win and lose roughly the same amount.
No, it loses because of its neutrality. London is a very inoffensive climate, but hampered by low amounts of sunshine (Greenwich). It really doesn't please warm lovers (too cool) or cold lovers (too warm), so it ends up pleasing nobody. Cities like Helsinki or Miami at least pleases one of those categories of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 09:50 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
3) London is always being pitted against N.American climates, in a forum dominated by N.Americans, many of whom have the above-mentioned climatic preferences. So no one should be too surprised if London always seems to lose these silly battles. Try London vs the Faroe Islands if you want a better result!
And the European posters have a continental climate bias, as well.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:01 AM

29,534 posts, read 19,626,354 times
There are a lot of people here (both Americans and Europeans) who feel that Chicago winters are too cold. So that would be a strike against it.... I guess they are outnumbered by the people who are more of the extreme weather types (like myself), or those who prefer a Chicago's warm summer to London's cool summers.

I would never rate Chicago's climate anything better then a C+. More like an average C

Winters:B
Summers C
Spring: D+
Autumn: C

My seasonal rating for London is as follows:

Winters:F
Summers:F
Autumn: D
Spring: C

I give London a better grade during the spring even though Chicago has a higher average maximum in both April and May. Our spring is just too unpredictable. I love the thunderstorms, but sometimes I have to where a thick winter coat in the morning, and shorts in the afternoon. That can get on my nerves, especially by mid or late April when I'm already itching from summer.... London seems more tranquil in the spring (albeit with less sunshine then Chicago), and in recent years, has posted some very respectable April temperatures...

Here is an example of what I mean about spring here.

Local weather forecasters call them pneumonia fronts. Northeast winds blow in off of the still icy Lake Michigan and dramatically drop temps in minutes

Winter on the shoreline, and summer 20 miles inland....

]

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 09-15-2013 at 11:27 AM..

Old 09-15-2013, 11:24 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
London is too tepid for me. Chicago may have summers far warmer than desired, but it is more interesting with colder, snowier winters and more thunderstorms.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:04 PM

29,534 posts, read 19,626,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
London is too tepid for me. Chicago may have summers far warmer than desired, but it is more interesting with colder, snowier winters and more thunderstorms.
Our summers aren't that warm imho.... I wish they were warmer by about 2C. However every 3 or 4 years we get a hot one. Last year was quite a scorcher (by our standards) here.... We had 75 days at or above 30.0C, and 47 days above 32.2C....

This year to day we have had 39 days at or above 30.0C and 17 days at or above 32.2C. Pretty lame.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:14 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
London has been involved in just about every climate battle imaginable, so the notion that people are just voting without being aware of London's stats is hardly credible.

The real reason why London's always loses out is probably because:

1) Most members here are North Americans who:

a) like climates with hot summers - for the vast majority of Americans, and even Canadians, average summer highs in the low to mid-20s Celsius is NOT "hot."

b) AND/OR climates with cold and snowy winters - and London's winters typically are NOT.

2) These members far outnumber those who favour more oceanic climates (and if they do, they don't vote for London)

3) London is always being pitted against N.American climates, in a forum dominated by N.Americans, many of whom have the above-mentioned climatic preferences. So no one should be too surprised if London always seems to lose these silly battles. Try London vs the Faroe Islands if you want a better result!
I think it loses more because of lack of winter cold than warmer summer. I voted for London against Chicago.

The real reason is this forum is dominated now by cold and snow lovers, and those predicting another ice age.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:36 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,999,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
That is the standard rainfall pattern from March until September/October. In summer drizzle is rare, in winter it is common. Rain only falls about 5% of the time anyway so I wouldn't say London and Paris have 'long spells of drizzle' (as opposed to somewhere like the PNW).
For Chicago the wetest month is July or Aug. in theory but you really don't notice it. Fall and winter tend to be dry(some parcipitation but not a lot).

What I have always wondered is if London has wild unpreditable springs like Chicago or is it more calm. Chicago's spring can go from 30, 40, 50F one day and then 60,70,80F the next so you get wild swings. Then the thunderstorm(which I love) from Spring into Summer can be quite intresting.

Chicago might get more snow than london, but the snow is overated, it does not last all winter. It just snows hangs around for a week or two then goes.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:07 AM

2,672 posts, read 3,185,105 times
I prefer London's climate, which is not bad at all. Winter is very mild for 51°N, autumn and spring are quite good, while summer is too cool for me. Unfortunately sunshine is low too.
Chicago is one of my favourite cities and it's located on its beautiful lake. For me it's too cool in autumn and spring, and far too cold and snowy in winter.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:54 AM
B87 B87 started this thread

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I think it loses more because of lack of winter cold than warmer summer. I voted for London against Chicago.

The real reason is this forum is dominated now by cold and snow lovers, and those predicting another ice age.
London beat Warsaw, which is only warmer in May, June and July.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:17 AM
B87 B87 started this thread

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
For Chicago the wetest month is July or Aug. in theory but you really don't notice it. Fall and winter tend to be dry(some parcipitation but not a lot).

What I have always wondered is if London has wild unpreditable springs like Chicago or is it more calm. Chicago's spring can go from 30, 40, 50F one day and then 60,70,80F the next so you get wild swings. Then the thunderstorm(which I love) from Spring into Summer can be quite intresting.

Chicago might get more snow than london, but the snow is overated, it does not last all winter. It just snows hangs around for a week or two then goes.
London's springs are far more stable than Chicago's. The average high in April is 14-15C, and most days are between 10-20C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather