Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How warm must it at least be?
Warm summers with no variable snowpack in winter 33 19.64%
Hot summers with no variable snowpack in winter 50 29.76%
Chilly winters and warm summers 15 8.93%
Chilly winters and hot summers 29 17.26%
Not any of the above (please explain) 41 24.40%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 02:03 PM

1,443 posts, read 2,550,642 times

Advertisements

Here it is straight from New York Botanical Garden:

"The hardiest banana is the Japanese fiber banana (Musa basjoo). These bananas have been proven hardy from Massachusetts and Connecticut down to Pennsylvania, for those of you living in northern climes. Without any winter protection this species is hardy to zone 6B , but if you live in a colder zone, heavy mulch or wrapping is required to keep it going. A fully grown plant can reach up to 14 feet tall."

https://www.nybg.org/blogs/plant-tal...going-bananas/

You do have to protect it if you want "fruit" but why bother with famine food haha

Old 12-14-2021, 02:13 PM

14,824 posts, read 12,098,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emman85 View Post
New York City(recently) is not really full blown humid continental, it does not keep a consistent snowpack during it's winters. It does not hold a candle to "real" continental climates like Winnipeg. In fact a lot of the time it's temps look similar to a place like London, temps in the 30s and 40s in winter, like in it's 7 day forest right now.

It's a borderline climate like most of the mid Atlantic cities.

It's funny how no one complains about New York or Washington Dc's winters not being cold enough for a continental climate, it shows just how one sided the discussion is.
New york city 'average' lows in December is 0 deg C, in January its -3 deg C! and in February its -2 deg C (and they're just the averages lord knows how cold the coldest nights are!), that is FAR too cold to be considered sub-tropical, New York cannot support the tropical flora that the Siclly's, SW England, Ireland, New Zealand and SW Europe can.

Here are the average 'lows' for the winter months for some of those places:-

Scilly Isles - DEC 8 deg C, JAN 7 deg C, FEB 7 deg C
Plymouth - 5 deg C, 4 deg C, 4 deg C
Cork - 5 deg C, 4 deg C, 4 deg C
Wellington - 7 deg C, 7 deg C, 7 deg C
Bordeaux - 3 deg C, 3 deg C, 3 deg C

None of these places are sub-tropical climates but they are much warmer than New York and that is why these places can grow tropical plants that New York cannot!

Old 12-14-2021, 02:25 PM

12,622 posts, read 13,980,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Yadda yadda yadda but you can't name a subtropical plant that grows in Scilly that won't grow in NOLA. There are century old CIDP in NOLA that have survived all of the freezes. NOLA can grow beautiful Mexican fan palm to 50 ft in 20 years while it takes Scilly a century to grow a half dead looking one. NOLA can grow beautiful queen palms for 30 years while Scilly can't grow a half dead looking one for five. NOLA can grow royal and foxtail palms for 10-15 years while Scilly has no hope at all. NOLA has big Bismarck palms from Madagascar while Scilly could never grow one in a million years. NOLA can grow fruiting mangos and other tropical fruits in a 5-10 year warm stretch, Scilly has zero chance. The list goes on and on and on

Looks like NOLA can grow actual tropical plants (from tropical climates and tropical areas, hence tropical) to reproductive maturity. Can't say the same for Scilly!
Must be the abysmal lack of tropical warmth

I'm not discounting the freezes but to compare NOLA with Scilly is silly
I notice you ignored part of my post where I stated it never happens in southern Europe, Australia, Argentina, etc etc.

You know how much it costs to take down a dead tree, or the money spent when your whole garden is dead.

For NOLA, with those time ranges you gave, you may as well stick with sabal palmetto's, date palms, and some other very cold hardy subtropicals. 11F will come again, so what is the point.

Sydney AU, no worries ever in a million years about that kind of cold, nor Sicily or southern Spain etc etc. Heck, has anywhere at that latitude and sea level in China ever gone down to 11F in the last 50 years?

Old 12-14-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Where is tropical? Tropical? Turning my head and still can't see tropical. Haven't we already discussed this

Maybe it looks tropical compared to your English cottage garden but nothing about that looks tropical to me. Looks like something you'd find in Spain

A "subtropical garden" in Florida that gets a few freezes a decade looks 1000x more tropical than Tresco
I agree if you mean a garden purposefully planted to look tropical, but not the average garden. Looks more like Tresco if you ask me.

Check out UCF botanical gardens near Tampa.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1...iAQoip6BAg-EAM

Old 12-14-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I notice you ignored part of my post where I stated it never happens in southern Europe, Australia, Argentina, etc etc.

You know how much it costs to take down a dead tree, or the money spent when your whole garden is dead.

For NOLA, with those time ranges you gave, you may as well stick with sabal palmetto's, date palms, and some other very cold hardy subtropicals. 11F will come again, so what is the point.

Sydney AU, no worries ever in a million years about that kind of cold, nor Sicily or southern Spain etc etc. Heck, has anywhere at that latitude and sea level in China ever gone down to 11F in the last 50 years?
You can argue made up arguments with yourself all you want. I acknowledged the cold outbreaks and made no mention of Sydney or China? My reply was based on the absurdity of comparing Scilly to NOLA and nothing beyond that

11F will come again maybe next year maybe in 30 years. Scilly will NEVER achieve a 25C summer mean temp, that's the point . NOLA can grow a fruiting mango tree with just 4-5 normal/mild winters while Scilly will NEVER achieve that. That is the point.

Old 12-14-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I'm not even sure what they are trying to 'argue over' anymore!
I'm not sure why they are jumping down my throat over New Orleans? I don't think I even mentioned New Orleans? Not that I can remember anyway? All rather confusing - Arguing for the sake of it I guess.
I wasn't comparing the climate of NOLA to Scilly in terms of subtropicality or tropicality. I was stating the obvious and providing some context for what happens when the continentality comes down on us, that really doesn't impact other locations at those latitudes.

That is the shortcoming of subtropical climates in North America. Who the Fu.. wants their garden wiped out every third decade. Happened in South Texas this past winter, in fact, it has happened all over the US east of the Rockies.

It is a real bummer we have to go thru this every single winter wondering whether it will come down and destroy our gardens and crops.

Old 12-14-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I agree if you mean a garden purposefully planted to look tropical, but not the average garden. Looks more like Tresco if you ask me.

Check out UCF botanical gardens near Tampa.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1...iAQoip6BAg-EAM
Cherry picked examples again hahaha. Please visit Disney World, Universal Studios, Busch Gardens, etc and tell me it looks like Tresco

Not to mention Tresco is anything but the "average garden"

Old 12-14-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
You can argue made up arguments with yourself all you want. I acknowledged the cold outbreaks and made no mention of Sydney or China? My reply was based on the absurdity of comparing Scilly to NOLA and nothing beyond that

11F will come again maybe next year maybe in 30 years. Scilly will NEVER achieve a 25C summer mean temp, that's the point . NOLA can grow a fruiting mango tree with just 4-5 normal/mild winters while Scilly will NEVER achieve that. That is the point.
Let us then finally acknowledge for once on this forum that we have probably the riskiest most winter flawed subtropical climates in the world given it can be wiped out any given winter. NO where else has this issue but North America. It sucks, but we are stuck with it due a lousy geographical set up that will never go away even with massive global warming. It is why we had the coldest weather during the Ice Age given our latitudes.

Old 12-14-2021, 02:43 PM

Actually driving around a random neighborhood in Tampa is 1000x more tropical than Tresco. 10 actual tropical plants trumps all of the fake wannabes from the Mediterranean and New Zealand

Old 12-14-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Let us then finally acknowledge for once on this forum that we have probably the riskiest most winter flawed subtropical climates in the world given it can be wiped out any given winter. NO where else has this issue but North America. It sucks, but we are stuck with it due a lousy geographical set up that will never go away even with massive global warming. It is why we had the coldest weather during the Ice Age given our latitudes.
Ok tom77 monologue of flawed us subtropical
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.