Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 11:42 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Nearest beach to me is the seafront here in Bugibba,(a 5 minute walk from my house), though it is mostly rocky, there is a small beach... Temperature here today reached a high of 32.6C & the sea temperature is 26C...

The nearest proper sandy beach is a couple of miles away in Mellieha...

Mellieha beach from the air...

I love aerial photos like that. I would love to jump off a boat in the harbor and swim down to the bottom. Gotta love the Med.

Do they serve great food on that beach like they did when I was in Barcelona? Love calamari with marinara sauce, and potatoes aioli.

I had a physics professor in college, Dr. Mifsud, and he was a native of Malta. He always talked about home. I remember he had dark curly hair, olive skin, and green eyes. Looked kind of Arabic or Italian. Malta always intrigued me since then. He was a great guy and not a ballbuster like some physics profs can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 11:49 AM

13,487 posts, read 9,034,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I love aerial photos like that. I would love to jump off a boat in the harbor and swim down to the bottom. Gotta love the Med.

Do they serve great food on that beach like they did when I was in Barcelona? Love calamari with marinara sauce, and potatoes aioli.

I had a physics professor in college, Dr. Mifsud, and he was a native of Malta. He always talked about home. I remember he had dark curly hair, olive skin, and green eyes. Looked kind of Arabic or Italian. Malta always intrigued me since then. He was a great guy and not a ballbuster like some physics profs can be.
They do serve food, anything from burger & chips to slightly more upmarket cuisine... Though I will normally just have some gelato

Old 08-06-2014, 11:54 AM

607 posts, read 649,403 times
Barmouth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Have swum there every month from April to November, this summer the water has definitely been the warmest since 2006. You have to pay to park on the prom but certainly not to go on the beach! That is unthinkable to us Brits, even accustomed as we are to gratuitous rip offs (TV LICENCE!)

That comment about dry summer climates in Britain- there aren't any. I think it was Southsea or Portsmouth that got posted on here posing as a Csb: that area has a microclimate where the winters are those of the SW but summers those of the SE, and the 81-10 average is skewed by a number of abnormally wet, mild winters between about 1990 and 2007, plus the more frequent good summers of the late 80s and 90s.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:54 AM

719 posts, read 615,321 times
Okanagan Lake, 1 km to the north, and Skaha Lake, 3 km to the south.

Okanagan Lake Beach (Penticton):

Skaha Lake Beach (Penticton):

Skaha is the bigger and cleaner beach.

Weather is the same as Penticton as it's in Penticton.. about the same temperature as the airport as the airport gets the same lake breezes. Water temperature I believe is around 23-24ºC in both.

Last edited by SeanMoneyhands; 08-06-2014 at 12:05 PM..

Old 08-06-2014, 12:04 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The closest beaches to me are right in the city and about 5 km away in opposite directions:

Lac Leamy:
http://www.ccn-ncc.gc.ca/sites/defau...each%20~_0.jpg

Lac Beauchamp:

http://www.bonjourquebec.com/fr/imag...-243684729.jpg

Air temperature at the moment is about 27C or 80F. Water temperatures are around 25C or mid-70s in F. This is right about normal for this time of year here.

There are also dozens of beaches bigger than these in the hills and forests all around the city.

Oh yeah, and I forgot. Access to all of the beaches near here is free. In a few cases you may have to pay for parking. These two city beaches have free parking and access though. You can also get there by bike or bus of course.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:07 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshie79 View Post
Barmouth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Have swum there every month from April to November, this summer the water has definitely been the warmest since 2006. You have to pay to park on the prom but certainly not to go on the beach! That is unthinkable to us Brits, even accustomed as we are to gratuitous rip offs (TV LICENCE!)

That comment about dry summer climates in Britain- there aren't any. I think it was Southsea or Portsmouth that got posted on here posing as a Csb: that area has a microclimate where the winters are those of the SW but summers those of the SE, and the 81-10 average is skewed by a number of abnormally wet, mild winters between about 1990 and 2007, plus the more frequent good summers of the late 80s and 90s.

Nice. Do you swim with a wetsuit in April and November? I would think the water would be very cool then.
What is the temp of the sea there now?

Old 08-06-2014, 12:54 PM

2,672 posts, read 3,186,337 times
I live in a seaside resort city.
Typical July-August weather is sunny, breezy and 29°C with high relative humidity. Water temperatures around 25-26°C.
This is an aerial view of the beach, filled with coloured sun umbrellas:

(Panoramica spiaggia, from riviera.rimini.it)

Old 08-06-2014, 01:15 PM

13,487 posts, read 9,034,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshie79 View Post
No one claimed Southsea has a Csb climate. It does indeed have winters as mild as the far SW of the UK & summer temperatures are almost as hot as the rest of the SE, it is the sunniest part of the UK too (the coastal resorts of Hampshire, Sussex & the I.O.W according to the Met Office) & the south coast is actually the only part of the UK that has an appreciable difference in rainfall in the summer (again from the Met Office)...

Southsea doesn't even have 81-10 averages, as the weather station was closed in 2006. The averages are worked out from the last 30 year period the station was open (1976-2005), plenty of rubbish summers & cold winters within those years... And if the averages were worked from 81-10 data does that mean every other data set of weather stations in the UK are also "skewed" & give an unrepresentative view of the climate there??

There was a "Top 10" warmest parts of the UK in a newspaper some years ago & using the 1960-1990 averages & apart from London, the Scilly Isles & Jersey & Guernsey (not even technically in the UK) Southsea came in with an annual mean as warm as Penzance...

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/...al-climates/so

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/pi...st-places.html

Last edited by flamingGalah!; 08-06-2014 at 01:30 PM..

Old 08-06-2014, 01:16 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,387,876 times
Nearest sea beaches are on north-eastern and south-western coast of Estonia, they are equally about 200 km to drive from me and are right now warm-25.8c water temperature in that NE one-it also has the most beautiful and longest sand area in Estonia.
There is also a lake in my small town which has a small sandy area and also some other lakes in a distance of 10km from my town. But I like of course to visit seaside more than a lake and try to visit seaside as much as possible.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:29 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,413,465 times
Woops might have been me who said Portsmouth has a csb climate, I meant cfb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather