Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 06:41 PM

2,714 posts, read 3,045,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
I have been once in a beach in North western Germany, I am not sure but it might be so that there was a fee.
Hi,
Can you remember where you have been back then? This entrance fee is mostly called "Kur Taxe" so literally a spa tax but in my opinion it is misleading since you also have to pay even if you just want to enter the beach and don't use any spa facilities.
As far as i know there is only one resort at the Baltic Sea which doesn't take any entrance fees or spa taxes- Ostseebad Damp

Original site in German and Danish
Der Ferienpark an der Ostsee für die ganze Familie: ostsee resort damp

Translation into English via Google Translate
https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

As far as i know there are none at the North Sea coast, only some resorts don't take any fees during winter but really who wants to use the beach at little above freezing temps anyway?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 07:08 PM

506 posts, read 326,852 times
Santa Cruz is the nearest beach to here. It's weather is relatively similar to here, maybe a bit wetter and colder though.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:50 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,901,726 times
Preview

Coronado beach (frequently named among the best beaches in the U.S) is about 4 miles by the crow flies and maybe 10 minute drive from my house will put you on the sand. Great, broad sandy beach, nice waves and perfect temperature year round. The water temp is ideal now but pretty chilly in winter.

Real nice views of Pt. Loma and the Coronado islands in the distance. Occasional very low flying naval aircraft maneuvering to adjacent North Island Naval Station and frequent very fit Navy SEALS jogging back and forth along the surf all day long for some eye candy!

Also just a few steps away to cocktails or a snack at the Hotel Del Coronado which is pretty handy.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:13 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,963,772 times
I'm in Western Sydney. The nearest beach is pretty much most of Sydney's coast. La Perouse beach (near our airport), though, is tad closer as it's slightly more 'inland'.

This is the climate there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mascot..._Wales#Climate

Old 08-07-2014, 03:16 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
About 8 minutes to the closest beach to drive too. There are closer ones, but they involve a walk.

Weather there is much the same as anywhere around here. Frost on the beach is common, but so are pleasant winter days. Water near the beaches can get much warmer than the 19C sea temperatures of summer.

This is the beach a couple of weeks ago. We go there because it's close and doesn't get many people. Good crabs and fishing too.
Attached Thumbnails
What is your nearest beach? How is the weather there?-gedc1581.jpg  

Old 08-07-2014, 03:31 AM

13,487 posts, read 9,032,668 times
Back in the UK my nearest beach was Southsea (a 10 minute walk from my house)...
It is a pebble beach (the pebbles actually put there to protect the seafront) with sand exposed at low tide & along the beach towards Eastney there are large sandy patches. There is a huge sand bank in the sea at the entrance of Langstone Harbour (between Portsea Island - Portsmouth & Hayling Island) and the western end of Hayling Island has a sandy beach...

View of Southsea beach from Hayling Island, with the sandbank in view

Southsea beach at low tide...The weather today is forecast to be mostly sunny with a high of 25C & sea temperature of around 21C.

Southsea beach from the other side of South Parade Pier (which famously was set alight during the filming of the film "Tommy" & was included in the film)

Old 08-07-2014, 04:12 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,838,684 times
The closest beach is like 300-400m away from my house. Water temp is usually between 20-24 C.

Couldn't find any good pictrues but found a video instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJdK...YQrwYfLVN7ot4w

Old 08-07-2014, 06:49 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,277,425 times
Burlington has approx 2 km long beach on Lake Ontario next to Spencer Smith Park
near border with Hamilton. It's sandy and swimable, water temps can be in low 70s (about 22C)
Swimming season june to mid september
Average highs and lows,
june 25/14
july 28/17
aug 27/16
sept 22/12

Old 08-07-2014, 07:14 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,935,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
About 8 minutes to the closest beach to drive too. There are closer ones, but they involve a walk.

Weather there is much the same as anywhere around here. Frost on the beach is common, but so are pleasant winter days. Water near the beaches can get much warmer than the 19C sea temperatures of summer.

This is the beach a couple of weeks ago. We go there because it's close and doesn't get many people. Good crabs and fishing too.

Beautiful Joe. What kind of crabs do you guys catch? We have blue claw crabs here. Very tasty.

Callinectes sapidus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I really like when they shed their shells and you can eat them as soft shell crabs. You eat the whole thing, as opposed to when they are hard shell and you can only eat the meat.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:16 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,935,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Back in the UK my nearest beach was Southsea (a 10 minute walk from my house)...
It is a pebble beach (the pebbles actually put there to protect the seafront) with sand exposed at low tide & along the beach towards Eastney there are large sandy patches. There is a huge sand bank in the sea at the entrance of Langstone Harbour (between Portsea Island - Portsmouth & Hayling Island) and the western end of Hayling Island has a sandy beach...

View of Southsea beach from Hayling Island, with the sandbank in view

Southsea beach at low tide...The weather today is forecast to be mostly sunny with a high of 25C & sea temperature of around 21C.

Southsea beach from the other side of South Parade Pier (which famously was set alight during the filming of the film "Tommy" & was included in the film)

Nice. I'd love to visit one of those pebble beaches as I think they are rather unique in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather