Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 07:17 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times

Advertisements

This was a great thread. I love beaches, and looks like everyone on here has a nice beach near them whether it is saltwater or freshwater. Very nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 07:27 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
The weather is always great at a beach! Well sometimes it's too hot and sunny, but I love beaches in all weather conditions.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:44 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,409,250 times
This thread is making me crave to go to the beach

Old 08-07-2014, 09:12 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Re: the pebble beach in Post #56

In "Dover Beach" the poet Mathew Arnold calls them the naked shingles of the world.

"Listen! you hear the grating roar
Of pebbles which the waves draw back, and fling,
At their return, up the high strand,
Begin, and cease, and then again begin,"

I can't see them without thinking of that poem.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:41 AM

29,523 posts, read 19,620,154 times
Almost every summer we spend the day (or two) in New Buffalo (less than 50 miles from Chicago city limits). Not this summer. No point since the water is so damn cold.

This is what the skyline looks like from New Buffalo

http://krfoto.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v17/p345511614-3.jpg

Btw, current water temps up a little today. Still a good 10F below normal for this time of year.

Quote:
LAKE MICHIGAN WATER TEMPERATURES...

CHICAGO SHORE...74. CHICAGO CRIB...70.

LAKE FOREST BEACH...70. WAUKEGAN BEACH...70.

OSTERMAN BEACH...71. MONTROSE BEACH...71.

OHIO STREET BEACH...71. 63RD STREET BEACH...71.

RAINBOW BEACH...M. CALUMET BEACH...72.

MICHIGAN CITY...62. MICHIGAN CITY BUOY...71.

SOUTH MID LAKE BUOY...67.

&&

THE MICHIGAN CITY WATER TEMPERATURE SENSOR IS LOCATED AT A WATER
INTAKE ONE MILE OFFSHORE AND 60 FEET BELOW WATER SURFACE. IT IS READ
EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR.

THE MICHIGAN CITY BUOY IS LOCATED FOUR MILES OFF SHORE AND MEASURES
THE WATER TEMPERATURE AT THE SURFACE. THE DATA IS AVAILABLE FROM
APRIL 1 TO NOVEMBER 1. THE DATA IS AVAILABLE AT:
WWW.IISGCP.ORG/BUOYDATA/INDEX.HTML.
http://forecast.weather.gov/product....ot&product=omr

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 08-07-2014 at 09:51 AM..

Old 08-07-2014, 10:59 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
Toronto is located on the shore of Lake Ontario, one of the five Great Lakes. Lake Ontario is a very deep fresh water lake, about 400 metres at the deepest point, so it doesn't get very warm. As a matter of fact many of the downtown public buildings are cooled in summer by water drawn from the bottom of Lake Ontario, which stays at a temperature of 7 Celsius, year round. We call it free air conditioning, as the lake water is drawn in , piped to the shore, and circulated in the buildings, then it goes into the city water system.

here is a link to the system information page.

Enwave looks to expand deep lake water cooling | Toronto Star

Toronto has a number of public lakeshore swimming beaches, as well as over 100 public swimming pools, that are operated by the City of Toronto Parks department, and 98 splash pads for younger kids to get wet in.

The closest beach to me is Sunnyside, about four miles to the south of my home. on Lake Ontario. Todays high in Toronto will be 26 C, with a light breeze. The UV reading is 8 or high.

Splash pad photos

https://www.google.ca/search?q=toron...w=1085&bih=595

. The closest splash pad to me is about 60 metres away, in the park across from my home.

The closest pool is 300 metres away, at the local recreation centre, which has both a outdoor and a indoor pool, as well as a gymnasium and a seniors activity area. To the west of that building, there is a double rink ice skating facility, and beyond that a soccer field, with four pitches, and a cricket oval.

Jim B. Toronto.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:55 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Fort Lauderdale beach, less than a mile, 84 and sunny but that will change to a thunderstorm at any time.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:46 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Fort Lauderdale beach, less than a mile, 84 and sunny but that will change to a thunderstorm at any time.
Little higher than that.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:08 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Beautiful Joe. What kind of crabs do you guys catch? We have blue claw crabs here. Very tasty.

Callinectes sapidus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I really like when they shed their shells and you can eat them as soft shell crabs. You eat the whole thing, as opposed to when they are hard shell and you can only eat the meat.
Paddle Crabs. I set a pot about 20 metres offshore, and usually have enough for a cook-up on the beach, within about 10 mins. Or about half an hour before sunset, it's easy to just swim out and get them. Good fishing bait as well.

The Fishing Website

Here's a photo of a typical beach about 20 mins in the other direction. . I often have lunch at this lookout, if I'm working in the area. Pebble beaches, but grey coloured ones.
Attached Thumbnails
What is your nearest beach? How is the weather there?-gedc0696.jpg  

Last edited by Joe90; 08-07-2014 at 01:22 PM..

Old 08-07-2014, 01:20 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,386,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The East Frisian View Post
Hi,
Can you remember where you have been back then? This entrance fee is mostly called "Kur Taxe" so literally a spa tax but in my opinion it is misleading since you also have to pay even if you just want to enter the beach and don't use any spa facilities.
As far as i know there is only one resort at the Baltic Sea which doesn't take any entrance fees or spa taxes- Ostseebad Damp

As far as i know there are none at the North Sea coast, only some resorts don't take any fees during winter but really who wants to use the beach at little above freezing temps anyway?...
I think we were in Norddeich or somewhere near of it.It was a beautiful beach and scenery there. It happened so that we were there then it was a low tide there so we bathed in a pool.It was first time to see such a strong tides like they are on the coasts of Northern sea.We could not even see any water in the horizon I remember. On the coasts of Baltic tides are very weak and most of people don't notice even them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather