Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2015, 01:06 PM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Hey Cambium when are trees normally fully leafed out by up there? Early-Mid May? What's the latest you've seen bare trees, have you ever seen them in late May before?
Yeah, normally "Fully" leafed out April 25-May 7 but some trees like Oak take longer...

Latest I seen bare trees was beginning of May (last year), but that's with buds on them.

Here's how end of April looked last year. Because this year we aren't have a very cold April AND because its been wet, I don't think it will be as late as last year.

Buds always seem to sprout (especially Maples) in March and then leaves come really fast most of the time in April after the sprouts have blossomed... Some years they take their time, other years boom.

Earliest Fully leafed out I seen was end of March (I forget which year)

Here's a comparison of April 18, 2012 vs today. Will it look like that in 10 days? Heck no. lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 02:48 PM

340 posts, read 297,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yeah, normally "Fully" leafed out April 25-May 7 but some trees like Oak take longer...

Latest I seen bare trees was beginning of May (last year), but that's with buds on them.

Here's how end of April looked last year. Because this year we aren't have a very cold April AND because its been wet, I don't think it will be as late as last year.

Buds always seem to sprout (especially Maples) in March and then leaves come really fast most of the time in April after the sprouts have blossomed... Some years they take their time, other years boom.

Here's a comparison of April 18, 2012 vs today. Will it look like that in 10 days? Heck no. lol
Looks like a branch fell off your tree. I'm guessing it was from Sandy? Still waiting for spring activity down here on LI too.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:52 PM

768 posts, read 654,269 times
Sunday's cloudscapes:

Old 04-07-2015, 03:55 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
The street scenes in both Nice and Paris look very nice. I like the stylish look of the houses, etc.

Does France have strict building guidelines and aesthetic requirements? Do they have tough planning agencies you have to get building permits thru?

I find American suburbs, countryside and urban settings more unattractive.

I think here there is an overall mistrust and dislike of any type of govt regulation. Hence developers and builders get whatever they want. American cities are just not as attractive as European cities imo. Not all of Europe, but certain countries like Germany and France. Some of the towns in Germany are stunning as well. I don't think any city in the US comes close to Paris, London, Berlin, Prague, etc.
In protected areas, your project will have to be approved by some kind of architect specialized in heritage preservation. They can be real PITAs. In certain regions, your house will have to meet requirements. For example, in Nantes, south of the Loire, roofs are made of red tiles, whereas north of the river, they're covered with slate.

I tend to take pics of places I find attractive or interesting. Streetview has no shortage of ugly or mundane views.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesien View Post
Sunday's cloudscapes:
Nice. I like the first pic. I see a bunch of ivy growing on that tree.

========================

Raw evening here. 6:30pm 43°F(6C) with light rain all day and a chilly inside.

Got the wood stove started.. again.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:58 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times
Wow, Cambium the end of April last year looks about 90% bare still. Interesting and thanks for taking the time to comment.

[IMG]www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204929106040637&set=a.10202606089 486675.1073741826.1030203860&type=1&theater[/IMG]

Went for a run and that's what the grass looks like now.....quite dry. March we received 0.62" of rain compared to a normal of 3.36" so only about 18.5% of normal....so for April rainfall has been nil. We need rain.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Wow, Cambium the end of April last year looks about 90% bare still. Interesting and thanks for taking the time to comment.

Went for a run and that's what the grass looks like now.....quite dry. March we received 0.62" of rain compared to a normal of 3.36" so only about 18.5% of normal....so for April rainfall has been nil. We need rain.
NP, thanks for asking. Yeah, end of April was mostly bare then it happened so fast by mid May some trees were fully leafed out, the rest had mini leaves. I would even say the latest I saw bare trees was mid May. I went by percentage saying early May.

Speaking of grass, starting to green up now.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:41 PM

824 posts, read 688,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

I wish mine looked like the right. The trees exploded around the turn of April, and now almost all have small leaves (Mid March almost none did). South Carolina is extra warm, and we're basically having a pseudo- summer. I would take pics but I'm too lazy

Old 04-07-2015, 09:00 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times
Classic and beautiful! Many CGs.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:03 PM

29,534 posts, read 19,626,354 times
^^

Nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather