Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2015, 02:49 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,459,659 times

Advertisements

Went to distillery festival today. Gorgeous area in the middle of nowhere.

Popular among bikers apparently.

Huge vats where bourbon is made.

And where it's stored...

Which is it?

Bourbon mixed with apple cider...good stuff.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 04:19 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Our trees budding is maybe just a week or so behind Lexington. Maybe 10 days. That's a positive.

Ok, it's still only 12 April, so we might get a few backlashes.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:14 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,736,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
Meanwhile in Italy...
Wow, so much green. Chestnuts usually leaf early, but it's still a shock to seet these pics as there isn't any down here. Our deciduous are still bare or, at best, budding. Looks like spring is coming along nicely in Kentucky as well!

Wisteria is clearly ahead from Paris. The one at my parents' house up there was still completely bare a week ago, unlike here:

Spoiler

Old 04-12-2015, 12:23 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,806,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Went to distillery festival today. Gorgeous area in the middle of nowhere.

Popular among bikers apparently.

Huge vats where bourbon is made.

And where it's stored...

Which is it?

Bourbon mixed with apple cider...good stuff.
nice ttrip. micro brewrering is really a thing in the usa right?

Old 04-12-2015, 12:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
From Wednesday, haven't gotten around to posting these. The gloomy, cold drizzle last week was annoying. Why not be where there's a chance of fresh snow? Wednesday morning roadside mountain view:

Solid white up there! Snow almost gone in the low elevations. Hiking up the other side. Right at the trailhead. Started at 10 am. Temperature around freezing.

Trail was rather packed down. There had been a been a bit of snow of overnight and the day before, but hikers who got there earlier packed it down. Wetter snow than the stuff we got this winter. I remember the trail following a river, but it was mostly frozen.

Gem Pool. After this, the trail gets much steeper. I remember the Gem Pool being much larger and more interesting looking; I didn't recognize it at first. Here's what it looked like in August:

Spoiler

A local I saw at the gem poll, trail continues up the slope to the right.

I ate an apple at the gem pool, then the core into the woods. Five minutes later I saw someone found a use for my apple core. Recycling!

Next up 1550 feet in one mile. The first half is steeper, trail looks like a staircase. Not in the winter. Rock were well covered by snow. The steep parts look like a bit unnerving to descend, could turn into an unexpected slide without good use of traction. Trail starting to open up:

In warm weather, there'd be small waterfalls in that view:

Spoiler

only small pools in the stream. Could be nasty if there were lots of ice:

Still blue sky:

Was just after noon. Sun felt strong. With black pants, boots and gloves, and a dark red jacket, the sun was making me very warm. Don't hike in dark colored clothes. I ended up sunburning on my cheeks. Clouded over as it got above treeline:

Still a little blue over Washington:

At the trail end, there were 6-10 people around. I took a well-deserved break after the long climbsummited a smaller side peak (Monroe). There were a bunch of skiers doing short jumps off the steep north side. I ignored the trail most of the way up and down, destination was rather obvious, just pick whichever way has better footing.

Same spot last August:

Spoiler

Icy rock, with some mountains to the south in the background:

I also got to summit the Lake of the Clouds Hut. Mountain I just climbed in the background:

here's the building I climbed:

Spoiler

Looking north to Washington. I think that's supposed to be a lake. Frozen solid enough to walk on? I see cairns in the distance, but the exact trail route isn't clear. Hopefully I'm avoiding the lake?

Now I have 1.5 miles to go with 1300 feet of elevation gain, not as hard as before. Beginning was a relatively gentle slope, though it got steep in the second half close to the summit. The snow slope was an odd surface. almost icy, but not completely quite smooth. Looked a bit dicey, but was fine with my snowshoes, which had good "teeth". Followed prints, sometimes just went wherever, the cairns sometimes appeared to be not the best snow surface. Wasn't too cold, never put on a "real" winter coat" but did switch to mittens for a while. About 100-200 feet below the summit, there was exposed rock, which is pain, especially with snowshoes. I was getting tired, tempted just to skip the summit and avoid all the rocks. But that would be silly... The summit was a maze of buildings without the usual tourist hordes. Met two mountaineering guides who had ski up. And a couple who had brought beercans with them. The woman was smoking a cigarette. They were planning on snowboarding down. Clearly better hikers than me if they could drink and smoke in the middle of a big hike! Sometime while I was at the top it reached 30°F and nearly calm (5 mph) wind! But it had been windy before. It doesn't take a weatherman to know which way the wind blew...

though just in case, a weatherman was nearby. His idling vehicle noise was annoying me...

Spoiler

Despite the placid weather, the darkening skies to the west looked ominous. Getting fogged over would make it easier to get lost. After over half an hour relaxing on the top, time to go down. Photo tip: underexpose and the weather looks more ominous:

Marked trail, but goad was to go continue down along the ridge ahead for 1.4 miles until a trail junction that would lead me down the ridge.

Cross the cog railway tracks:

Mt. Washington got over a foot of snow in the last few days. Where'd it all go?! Don't see any fresh snow. Got blasted into the ravines to the east. What remained is wind-blasted snow that gotten a bit of rain five days ago, that was often rather crusty. I'd kick up small chunks walking of snow walking, that looked more solid than powder. On a slope, those pieces just started sliding down the mountains as if the mountain surface was smooth. On the cog railway tracks:

The trail headed within a few feet of a ravine headwall (Great Gulf) up ahead:

Even though I hadn't had any problems slipping being too close to the edge on snow looked scary. I found my own route. It's a long way down, slope is above 50° in long parts. Do NOT stand near the edge of the Great Gulf:

Spoiler

Great Gulf headwall:

Nice stratus:

Spoiler

Uh-oh. Mountains in the distance in snow flurries:

Had taken a rest for a while. Wind had picked a bit and got a bit cooler but still was tolerable. Temperature profile was interestingly flat with altitude [yes, I checked that website on my phone while stopping]:

Spoiler

My hand got rather cold from being bare too often when taking photos of going through stuff, putting mittens back on rather than gloves helped. After going down a bit:

Close-up of the cog railway's "Jacob's Ladder"

Spoiler

Trail going down follows the spine of this ridge. Might look scary but wasn't. Trail would have been hard to follow with prints from previous hikers.

Looking back at Washington:

Trail was narrow into the trees:

sky definitely darkening

mountains fogged over, snowing lightly:

snow-covered bridge:

at the other end of the cog:

Antique railroad equiment

Snow got harder by the time I got the parking lot, but on the drive back no snow, only higher elevations had snow. roadside view:

Spoiler

Old 04-12-2015, 01:00 PM

2,672 posts, read 3,186,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Wow, so much green. Chestnuts usually leaf early, but it's still a shock to seet these pics as there isn't any down here. Our deciduous are still bare or, at best, budding. Looks like spring is coming along nicely in Kentucky as well!

Wisteria is clearly ahead from Paris. The one at my parents' house up there was still completely bare a week ago, unlike here:
They are horse-chestnuts, more precisely, I don't know if this makes any difference in leafing time. Real chestnuts in my region can be found only on the Apennines.

Wisterias are flowering here right now too. All deciduous trees are leafing, except albizias, tamarisks and planes, which are the last ones to do that. Poplars, hazels and linden trees have tiny leaves since a week ago.

And while the other ones are still dormant and bare, there's a single bougainvillea sanderiana which has all the leaves on, a few flowers and it's blooming!
What is the bougainvilleas' situation in Cote d'Azur?

Old 04-12-2015, 01:56 PM

83,537 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
From Wednesday, haven't gotten around to posting these. The gloomy, cold drizzle last week was annoying. Why not be where there's a chance of fresh snow? Wednesday morning roadside mountain view:

Trail was narrow into the trees:

AWESOME! Did you feel rejuvenated after that? Or at least during the breaks maybe?

Favorite photos are those but you took some nice shots!

Yeah, Idling vehicles in a city is like..UGH! Idling vehicles on a mountain is like WTF!

Cigarettes on trails or summits another peeve of mine. Come on!

What do you mean "climbed the building". Was there no other way around?? That's like the movie Day After Tomorrow when they were walking over Malls and Libraries. LOL

That unsure frozen Lake without the clear trail, that's when you stop and say hmmm, I don't want to lose time by choosing the wrong trail but I can't waste time thinking too much. I guess they don't have any markers anywhere? I thought you been there already but I guess maybe not in the snow or just hard to remember every trail you been on.

Looks like you got to parking lot in time as it was snowing on the mountain. Wonder if you had known or maybe conditions just happened.

How long did it take to summit and back? Love the storylines and the temp, weather, elevation updates but no timing except morning start and the parking lot finish.. I wonder if you had snow tires.

The Spine of the Ridge looks awesome to be on!

That's a hell of a drop there at Great Gulf edge!. Yikes.

Awesome Summer comparison, definitely looks better with snow except the Clouds and shadow hitting the peak in the summer looked cool.

I was wondering if your hands were cold from taking pics, you mentioned it.

Lastly.. How the heck did you catch that squirrel with your apple???? You said 5 minutes later so I assume you were still breaking there? That was pretty quick for the squirrel to find it. Must of been watching you eat and licking its tongue. LOL Nice capture on that!!! Hope it left the seed for an Apple Tree to grow! LOL

Old 04-12-2015, 02:34 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,736,615 times
nei, that hike sounds exhausting. Seems steep enough without snow, but I imagine it's much more tiring in snow? I have never really hiked in snow bar a few maybe 3-km long walks.

Unlike Cambium, my favorites are the ones taken in summer. Then those taken in the snow covered forest. Seems like there's more snow there than on the ridges, as you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
They are horse-chestnuts, more precisely, I don't know if this makes any difference in leafing time. Real chestnuts in my region can be found only on the Apennines.

Wisterias are flowering here right now too. All deciduous trees are leafing, except albizias, tamarisks and planes, which are the last ones to do that. Poplars, hazels and linden trees have tiny leaves since a week ago.

And while the other ones are still dormant and bare, there's a single bougainvillea sanderiana which has all the leaves on, a few flowers and it's blooming!
What is the bougainvilleas' situation in Cote d'Azur?
Not sure, I haven't paid enough attention. The other day I saw what looked like a flowering bougainvillea in a garden and thought "it can't be, if mar89 was here he could tell me what it is". Don't remember where it was.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:23 PM

83,537 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Was in New Rochelle, NY today near the water. 30-40 minutes from NYC. No blooms yet but the buds are more apparent then where I am

Closer look at a Maple, it's almost ready to go boom. With the long range forecast showing no extreme cold or much cold (more normal than anything) I'm guess we'll be fully leafed by early May.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:15 PM

29,542 posts, read 19,636,351 times
Good Greek Orthodox Easter today with the family at the house

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 04-12-2015 at 08:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather