Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 07:54 PM

191 posts, read 163,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Looks a bit bigger than pea size but smaller than dime. That's the biggest I ever saw here. Can you imagine the Golf Ball sizes? Or Baseball?! Yeah, hail is a killer for the plants. Hate it. Grown to Hate Severe weather for few reasons.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/Image/iwx/pu...Hail_Chart.pdf
There were some counties in my state at the time that got slammed with marble-, quarter-, half-dollar-, and in isolated spots, golf-ball sized hail. Heck, even parts of my county got slightly bigger hail in spots. There were pictures on Facebook and Twitter of people's damaged property with broken vehicle windshields, broken windows, and paint peeled off the walls of homes. A lot of people were far worse off than I was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 07:25 AM

29,541 posts, read 19,632,331 times
Good morning Chicago

https://twitter.com/chiphotoguy/stat...13881473949697

Old 04-07-2015, 10:06 AM

83,529 posts, read 75,355,132 times
Winter still hanging on and I can't let go!

Very impressive to see in March, let alone in April in SouthWestern CT

Greenwich is near the South NY border. The rest are within 20-25 minutes of each other in this area. Dirty snow piles but amazing to see the pile still around.

Small Pond in New Canaan, CT 15 minutes from me

John D. Milne Lake. Water used for drinking. Incredible to see it still frozen, thin or not.

John D. Milne Lake

Old 04-07-2015, 10:43 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,387,361 times
Today

Old 04-07-2015, 11:21 AM

Probably my last snow pic of the year? Rain today should wipe out ground snow (not the big piles) but we've said that with all the other rain, fog, warm days too so who knows..

New Canaan, CT (neighboring city near me) I was shocked I didn't have to look hard around to see snow. Piles were still around in yards left and right.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:25 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,935,689 times
Quote:
Probably my last snow pic of the year? Rain today should wipe out ground snow (not the big piles) but we've said that with all the other rain, fog, warm days too so who knows..

New Canaan, CT (neighboring city near me) I was shocked I didn't have to look hard around to see snow. Piles were still around in yards left and right.

I know you love cold and snow, but do you really think dirty black snow like that is attractive? That kind of snow is why I don't like snowfall in a city. Just doesn't look nice.

Looks much better way out in the woods or mountains, but not in urban or suburban areas imo.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I know you love cold and snow, but do you really think dirty black snow like that is attractive? That kind of snow is why I don't like snowfall in a city. Just doesn't look nice.

Looks much better way out in the woods or mountains, but not in urban or suburban areas imo.
It's what's inside that counts. lol.

I did feel like just scraping the first few inches but I didn't want to bother it. I think knowing its April the looks of it is overlooked. 3-4 month old snow there.

But you bring up a point.

Look at the Wilton snow pile.. While that's in a shopping center, its a tad bit north from Norwalk but away from the bigger population zone and big commercial area of Norwalk. Big difference in color of snow.

Even in the last picture with the snow in the yard in New Canaan. In the woods away from I-95 commotion.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:39 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,935,689 times
Quote:
It's what's inside that counts. lol.

I did feel like just scraping the first few inches but I didn't want to bother it. I think knowing its April the looks of it is overlooked. 3-4 month old snow there.

But you bring up a point.

Look at the Wilton snow pile.. While that's in a shopping center, its a tad bit north from Norwalk but away from the bigger population zone and big commercial area of Norwalk. Big difference in color of snow.

Even in the last picture with the snow in the yard in New Canaan. In the woods away from I-95 commotion.

But just imagine how it looks around here after one single day. Snow only looks good here for 24 hours, then it is just plain disgusting. Literally it is totally black in piles on the sidewalks. And when it melts you can see all the dirt remaining in outlines of the pile.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:44 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,370,263 times
Hey Cambium when are trees normally fully leafed out by up there? Early-Mid May? What's the latest you've seen bare trees, have you ever seen them in late May before?

Nice pictures btw.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:58 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,279,313 times
Skip if you don't like plants

Allapattah Flats is a wildlife management area 20 miles west of me. Sorry for so many photos, but I have fallen in love with the trees here. Temp was 84F.

Had the place all to myself

Raspberry flowers (Rubus trivialis)

Pickerelweed (Pontederia cordata)

Purple thistle (Cirsium horridulum)

Classic Florida scene

Into the hammock. These are the tallest trees in my county.

Water hickory leaves (Carya aquatica)

American elm (Ulmus americana). Extremely rare down here, though they are abundant in these woods.

Understory. The one with flaky bark is water hickory.

World's tallest water hickory (maybe). Impressive bole.

Sugarberry (Celtis laevigata)

Papaya with new fruit (Carica papaya). They are actually native.

Hmm....

Swamp tupelo (Nyssa biflora). Also extremely rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather