Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 12:45 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,835,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Partly because traditional reasons. Because the area was so sparsely populated before, there is not much infrastructure there, work or housing. I don't see any reason why anyone would move there now, unless they want to be in total wilderness.

Oulu in Finland is one of the few exceptions. It had 37k inhabitants in 1950 and today the area has 200k.
And most of those are employed by the companies there that produce 78% of the world's ice cubes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 10:47 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,872,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
They don't seem to be all that bad. however these types I despise.
https://www.google.com/maps/@67.0950...7i13312!8i6656
You and me both! I got depressed just looking at it. The other ones are really nice, though. I especially liked the birches (trees with white trunks) along the roadsides; they look amazing.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:29 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Florida and Texas have plenty of farmland though, Nevada and Arizona are barren. People would not move down there so much if not for AC.
Hate to bust your bubble, but in AZ at least we have millions of acres of farmland between Phoenix and Yuma along the Gila River Valley, it is possible because of irrigation, it is the third biggest year round farming region in the US after California's Central Valley (#1) and Imperial Valley (#2)

Old 06-22-2016, 06:27 AM

35,044 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Hate to bust your bubble, but in AZ at least we have millions of acres of farmland between Phoenix and Yuma along the Gila River Valley, it is possible because of irrigation, it is the third biggest year round farming region in the US after California's Central Valley (#1) and Imperial Valley (#2)
And which taxpayers are subsidizing that irrigation?

Old 06-22-2016, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
And which taxpayers are subsidizing that irrigation?
Federal taxes I imagine, since the California agriculture is supported by irrigation as well, as the Central Valley ranges from semi arid to desert and the Imperial Valley is desert same as the Gila River Valley in AZ.

These areas were chosen because they have year round growing seasons with limited frost and no killing freezes, along with lots of flat, available land

Old 06-22-2016, 09:04 PM

35,044 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Federal taxes I imagine, since the California agriculture is supported by irrigation as well, as the Central Valley ranges from semi arid to desert and the Imperial Valley is desert same as the Gila River Valley in AZ.

These areas were chosen because they have year round growing seasons with limited frost and no killing freezes, along with lots of flat, available land
I am not crazy about this arrangement. I am a New Yorker and pay high progressive taxes to subsidize uneconomic activity elsewhere. Arizona and Wyoming have gleaming, empty 75 mph Interstates and we get the rickety, jammed Cross Bronx Expressway. Our farmers pay their own way and these farmers don't.

What's wrong with this picture? Plenty. Our Congressmen and Senators are great at being liberal with our money and don't return much to us. Even security spending as a direct result of 911 is disproportionately allocated to states that are very unlikely to be targets.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I am not crazy about this arrangement. I am a New Yorker and pay high progressive taxes to subsidize uneconomic activity elsewhere. Arizona and Wyoming have gleaming, empty 75 mph Interstates and we get the rickety, jammed Cross Bronx Expressway. Our farmers pay their own way and these farmers don't.

What's wrong with this picture? Plenty. Our Congressmen and Senators are great at being liberal with our money and don't return much to us. Even security spending as a direct result of 911 is disproportionately allocated to states that are very unlikely to be targets.
CA and AZ agriculture feed most of this country, and ALMOST ALL of CANADA's produce comes from AZ and CA, so it is money well spent

Old 06-22-2016, 11:00 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,925,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
You know that you can build simple greenhouses to extend the growing season right? such as these guys in Yakutia.

Farmers produce strawberries in unlikeliest of regions
You can extend it...up to a point. That's what I do. 4-6 weeks in spring, 4 weeks in fall. That adds two months of extra growing season, but in a place with a 3 month growing season, a 5-6 month growing season is still short.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:07 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,218 times
Why isnt the south producing a large part of the nation's produce? The technology exists now to prevent damage from most hard freezes with a little warning , drought seems much worse. i have seen some models that show them to be part of very long drought cycles in the west .Especially dealing with water and especially precipitation required to deal with drought , it is much less effort dealing with generational hard freeze,

Drought and agriculture in california is much more expensive than a very rare hard freeze, the question is why are foodies so obsessed with "fresh produce and fresh food " and they eat stuff shipped and many times frozen from mexico and california, much fresher farm to fork when buying locally

Last edited by floridanative10; 06-22-2016 at 11:16 PM..

Old 06-22-2016, 11:32 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,697,702 times
Quote:
CA and AZ agriculture feed most of this country, and ALMOST ALL of CANADA's produce comes from AZ and CA, so it is money well spent
We do have local produce in the summer too you know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather