Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2017, 07:58 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
The seasons shifted. Summer is now July-October. Winter is January-April. 2 month of Spring. 2 months of Fall. That pretty much sums it up for us.
Pretty much lol. Seems like the seasons shifted by 1.5 months
Quote:
It's actually a Triple Edge Sword. Stalled Front, Nate, Atlantic Ridge. Bad combo to get in the Fall if you don't want humidity.
This pattern would be ****ing gold in July. But hey, even in October I don't mind a prolonged stretch of sunny 70 degree weather. The best part about the past month? All the sun!

Old 10-08-2017, 08:54 PM

176 posts, read 146,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Aside for the fact that Northerly Island has a lake bias and air temperature fluctuates with water temps, the data is dubios imho. I know for a fact MDW is callibrated daily. Can't say the same for Northerly Island tho. It's an automated station.
Do you think the data is not accurate? I am referring to mean annual temperatures, which should take out the effect of the differing seasonality on the Lake Shore as well as the the differences in high and low temperatures. Even if one was consistently warmer, there may be an explanation. However, Northerly Island seemed to experience a sudden decrease in temperatures relative to other nearby stations sometime in early 2013. This could have even been explained by a cold or hot year in which Northerly Island was milder than Midway, except that there are both colder and hotter than normal years before and after the shift. Especially after the shift, the difference appears relatively constitent otherwise. The graph I attached shows the relationship between temperatures at the stations from 2006-2017. Northerly Island temperatures make-up the X-axis, with the data points showing Midway temperatures relative to Northerly Island at a given year. Each set of dots represents a half of a degree cooler or warmer. For years that had missing months of data at Northerly Island, I factored out those months at Midway, but this only affected 2007 and 2011 and it was only 1-2 months per year missing. Interestingly, it appears the sites initially appeared to report similar temperatures before Midway became cooler. After a few years, the major drop-off in Northerly Island temperatures occured. I used temperature records from NowData, so I could not access older Northerly Island weather history although I know it exists. Based on this data, I would think the post-shift data at Northerly Island is more accurate. For one, it appears more consistent relative to other sites. It is also more recent, so it seems more likely to me that accuracy would be upgraded rather than downgraded. Lastly, it would make sense that Northerly Island would be cooler annually than Midway due to the surrounding park setting. If older temperature records could be obtained, it would also be interesting to see how the removal of the airport from Northerly Island affected the temperatures there. Come to think of it, could the development of the area have caused the shift? According to the Northerly Island Wikipedia page, the Pavilion expanded in 2013 and the park at Northerly Island opened in 2015. Maybe these projects replaced concrete and artificial material with grass, plants, and trees, creating a reduction in the urban heat island effect. This could also explain the early 2006-2009 rise in temperatures. The site could have been an empty field in 2006, when temperatures at the two sites were roughly the same. Construction and man-made objects could have dominated the site until 2013, when the current Northerly Island was far in development, allowing trees and plants to be once again abundant on the island/peninsula.
Attached Thumbnails
Autumn/Fall 2017 Thread (Sept-Oct-Nov)-20171008_175255.jpg  

Last edited by brianpmcdonnell17; 10-08-2017 at 09:20 PM..

Old 10-08-2017, 09:54 PM

149 posts, read 89,464 times

And people still think it's weird that NYC and Boston are classified as humid subtropical.

Honestly, any place where it's even possible to have 60+ dew points in the middle of Autumn deserves such a classification.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:01 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Kelvin View Post

And people still think it's weird that NYC and Boston are classified as humid subtropical.

Honestly, any place where it's even possible to have 60+ dew points in the middle of Autumn deserves such a classification.
500mb height anomalies are several standard deviations above average, northern areas are Humid Continental, but point noted.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:07 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,494,932 times
Quote:
Rochester has had dews in the mid-high 60s the past few days but it's nowhere close to being subtropical. Not much different from the people who say the US south isn't subtropical since it can get temps in the teens.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:

Mate it's like 20F above average, chill out

Old 10-08-2017, 10:23 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,494,932 times
Today had a high of 76 at 2 AM! Yes, it was 76 at 2 AM in the second week of October.

Rain showers dropped 0.19", but it was in the early morning so I didn't mind.

The dew point got as high as 67 at around 6 AM.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:50 PM

176 posts, read 146,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Mate it's like 20F above average, chill out
Can San Francisco not be Mediterranean because it has gotten over 100 degrees? Such extreme points mean little in climate classification. I don't see how a climate with a mean annual temperature in the low 50s can be accurately labeled subtropical.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpmcdonnell17 View Post
Can San Francisco not be Mediterranean because it has gotten over 100 degrees? Such extreme points mean little in climate classification. I don't see how a climate with a mean annual temperature in the low 50s can be accurately labeled subtropical.
The guy pretends like getting 70F nights in October is totally normal we've also had snowfall in April and 35F highs in early-May, welp, guess this must be a subarctic climate then

Old 10-09-2017, 02:46 AM

2,460 posts, read 1,356,688 times
In Autumn 2017 so far,

The lowest temperature in Göle was -7.4℃

The lowest temperature in Ardahan was -3.7℃.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather