Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2008, 02:56 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
where i am living for now in indiana there is tons of abandon farmhouses and homesteads that people are buying up like crazy and just keeping them the way they are. i find abandon farmhouses add a sense of characteristic to the landscape. being out in rural indiana especially with the beautiful blue sky also adds a sense of characteristic. makes me feel "at home"

i agree with what you say about Bronx-La-or Philly/Detroit they do resemble third World countries. i have been to cities that are similiar like Indianapolis,Indiana. i drive through it and it looks like a warzone. half-naked(sometimes naked) kids and adults walking the streets. the run-down houses, the gang warfare,the drug running, the homelessness,and the thought that the city government doesnt care about it. just makes me feel very uncomfortable and a little bit guilty.
Having been to 3rd world I can tell you a realistic definition. No infrastructure, no organization of civilization systems beyond tribal that keeps life simpler in many ways but is a very thin barrier separating them from mother natures wrath which makes life harder in many ways. How many hours of your day would be in search of water, and is it riddled with disease? Russia isn't considered 3rd world but having plumbing doesn't mean what comes out of the tap isn't rusted brown or lead free. Equating 3rd world with violence isn't true except in cases where abject poverty is an issue.

Violence happens more in densely concentrated populations and tends to be more apparent in america because there's a wider division between haves and have nots, and especially because it's what news media fixates upon. The reports won't mention that 50,000 commuters got home safe, they speak of the two in a car accident holding up traffic and how much that highway costs. How much did that highway save civilization gets summarily ignored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 10:37 AM

13 posts, read 84,791 times
Default hi...

hi everyone.... I am new on here....I was just looking online about gay rights in wv and it brought me here...I am about to move up there from texas....

Old 07-08-2008, 03:50 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,062,199 times
Welcome to the Forum Kryssy!!

i hope you enjoy West Virginina ( i live in indiana) but often post stuff here

Old 11-03-2008, 06:14 PM

according to the Obama-Biden campaign a statement saying that Barrack Obama will be shutting down the Mining Industry. This new statement that has just been released could have somewhat of a effect on a already close election.

What is your guys' view on that. A vast Majority of our nations energy comes from the mines of lower/middle Appalachia. so if they were to shut down we would go into a total blackout! I think the Coal Miners are one of the key back bones to the success of this great country we call The United States of America without you guys we would be no where.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:43 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,107 times
Better grab your flashlight.

PS. Where did you read this? I've read he's against coal, then read he's for it.... not the only issue I've read about that he has flip-flopped about.

Why am I not voting for Obama? I trust his word less than his opponents. He has a good campaign organization - say whatever it takes to get elected.

We figure after tomorrow, we'll just leave our doors open so people can come in and take what they want. Will walk around handing out any monies we have worked our "arses" off for -- he's gonna take it all anyhow. We're not rich but have worked sooooo hard, done without to build for our future, etc. but we are in that category that he is gonna take it away from us.

Last edited by vec101; 11-03-2008 at 06:52 PM..

Old 11-03-2008, 06:49 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
It is impossible to turn your back on coal, over 50% of our nations power alone comes from coal. You can't just shut or idle the plants, in 4 years. Coal will be here for a long long long long time. I think Obama stands a better chance at investing in clean coal! McCain seems like more of the same. Lets hope the world doesn't sink further into this "financial crisis." According to metro news Europe and Canada are our biggest buyers, and their economies are starting to take a dive.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:49 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Clean coal is what I heard endorsed by obama/biden as policy directly in speeches. Whatever anyone else wants to put in his mouth or twist facts is another story, motivated by whatever desperate tactics they need to grasp onto at this late date. The statement was made in january but McCain ignored it during debates and drags it out nov 2nd because....?

Business as usual coal where they're allowed carte blanch environmentally will go bankrupt was the meaning of obamas statements. It's had a detrimental effect on all of appalaichia's health and new regs would make coal companies more responsible for the mess they make as it should be (and IS for all other industries). Of course this means the price of electric for chicago will see adjustment, but it's in WV's best interest for a change- not a one sided deal that exploits. As things stand now the system cuts WV both ways held hostage by an economic bone. Health care for miners alone gets passed on by coal companies to workers compensation funds (draining state funds) and that's not including the high incidents of respiratory problems children in WV statistically have over a hundred years? The costs will get passed on in open market across the board so coal states won't be in a position to outdo each other with lax regs. It's a sensible compromise that puts us all in the right direction.

I believe dems in congress would also be amenable to aiding appalachia in getting up to speed with technological advances his policy is based upon so if the delays are about a plant waiting on tech, less likely to be harsh enforcement. Look at it another way- these advances also mean more jobs in a strengthened industry if clean coal can deliver what it says. Coal is finite, however, and locally we need to address that directly with diversity.

Vec-- flip flop?? Repeating rhetoric, no wonder you're giving the store to looters. Ohio alone lost 213,000 jobs in the last 8 years and you think obama dems did this or could do worse? The worst pretty much already happened. People were too far in denial to admit it.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:01 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
I'm hoping the power companies will have a test for us...shut down the power grid for about 4 days..

Might be a wake-up call to reality...then put Pelosi, Harry Ried and those other eco-freaks in front of the windmills to blow more hot air...see if they can produce enough wind to offset the power need.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:24 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
according to the Obama-Biden campaign a statement saying that Barrack Obama will be shutting down the Mining Industry. This new statement that has just been released could have somewhat of a effect on a already close election.

What is your guys' view on that. A vast Majority of our nations energy comes from the mines of lower/middle Appalachia. so if they were to shut down we would go into a total blackout! I think the Coal Miners are one of the key back bones to the success of this great country we call The United States of America without you guys we would be no where.
Do believe I saw Cecil Roberts on TV out stamping his feet and shouting in support of Obama.

DK, Tried to give you points but says I gotta spread it around first.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:25 AM

it was reported by BBC and by FOX news live. reporting that he wants to shut down the coal industry. well whatever happens today is election day and whoever wins it will be a historic election a black president or a Woman for Vice President.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Better grab your flashlight.

PS. Where did you read this? I've read he's against coal, then read he's for it.... not the only issue I've read about that he has flip-flopped about.

Why am I not voting for Obama? I trust his word less than his opponents. He has a good campaign organization - say whatever it takes to get elected.

We figure after tomorrow, we'll just leave our doors open so people can come in and take what they want. Will walk around handing out any monies we have worked our "arses" off for -- he's gonna take it all anyhow. We're not rich but have worked sooooo hard, done without to build for our future, etc. but we are in that category that he is gonna take it away from us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia