Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 11:23 AM

7 posts, read 48,461 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of college student quality rental sites in Morgantown. I suggest that you check to see if an apartment or house is registered with the Code Enforcement Office and is current on inspections, before you even bother going to look at it.
http://www.morgantown.com/rental.htm

I moved to Morgantown from Western Tennesee in 1985. I lived in a rental property in town for about 8 years. I then purchased a house in the same neighborhood. I think it is a great town to raise kids (Mine are grown now). The schools are good, the streets are fairly safe, and there are many things to entertain teens. While in the military I lived in many different environments all around the world. I have never been anywhere I like as much as Morgantown.

Monongalia county is one of the most ethnically diverse in the state but that is not saying much. I used to work at the WVU hospital which has some ethnic diversity and I work for a pharmaceutical company that is also somewhat ethnically diverse. Yet mostly you will encounter caucasian people at a ratio of about 8 to 1.

Racism and bigotry is something that exists anywhere in the world. Morgantown has fewer incidents than some areas of WV. You will at some point encounter a bigot or two, such is life. Morgantown, Clarksburg and Fairmont are pretty similar but I believe that Morgantown has the best racial mix. Just an opinion no real facts to back that up.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2006, 06:27 AM

39 posts, read 193,801 times
Reno~

Thanks, I will take what I can get since I am not there yet to see it! I was banking on Morgantown being "it" since it has the university there, several posters seem to say likewise. I wouldnt mind a SLIGHTLY rural area, just not totally, does that make sense? I have run across my share of racists/bigots, but not where I have felt danger, ya know? Thats the main concern, I just dont want something to happen to the kids, as they have not had to experience something like that and it would be sad for me as a parent for them to go through it at their young ages (middle schoolers). I have faith in people, so I am hoping that since I get along with everyone, we will have no problems.

Are there many 3bdrm/2bth homes for rent in the area?

I will check out that site you listed.

Thanks again to everyone for responding, your help has been sooo valuable!

Old 12-05-2006, 05:12 PM

3 posts, read 43,988 times
You and your family will be fine in Morgantown I work in the school system as well as at a children's program here, and there are various ethnic and racial groups represented. It's not what people would think when they think of West Virginia anyway. I had a college professor at WVU who was from New York, and his friends teased him about having to live here. The professor told his friends that Morgantown is more like a college town in New Jersey.

Housing in Morgantown is booming. There are condos and new housing developments going up all the time. I live about 12 miles south of Morgantown, just over the county line in Marion County, which is where Fairmont is, but I don't live in Fairmont. If you choose to move to Fairmont, housing will be a lot cheaper, but a warning... (sorry Fairmonters) but Fairmont is so boring and dead I hardly ever go there anymore, even though I'm only a few miles from there. I would stay in the Morgantown area, if for the only reason to stay sane and not have to deal with long commutes to get anywhere. Some places and areas you could search would be Granville, Star City, Westover, and Cheat Lake. There is also Mount Morris and Point Marion Pennsylvania too.

Good luck!

Old 12-05-2006, 06:44 PM

Thanks so much imnotsleeping! It is good to have more areas to search. I saw that rentals are much cheaper in Fairmont and wondered why, now I know,lol... Boring isnt always bad though so I will check them out still. I am assuming the other towns you mentioned are closer to Morgantown,no? If so I will check them out and see where we can find a great house for a great price with the better schools, wow when I put it like that it is extremely overwhelming!!!!

Old 12-06-2006, 07:01 PM

47 posts, read 190,639 times
Default Clarksburg/Bridgeport

Yes they are south of Morgantown but you won't find the rush and the traffic here like you are describing in Florida. Lol, most of the time we all have all the time in the world to get somewhere and we drive like it. At least that is how it is around here
Marilyn

Old 12-12-2006, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 5,073 times
Sorry this is a bit late, but I too just joined this forum. Just writing to say that I have lived in Morgantown for the last seven years, and although I will be leaving soon, I enjoyed the time I have spent here very much. I was born and raised in WV, but wouldnt live anywhere else in the state but Morgantown. Because the university is here, there is a lot to do, if you take the time to look for it. If you are intersted in sports, WVU has a great athletic department or if more interested in theatre, check out the plays that run nightly at the CAC. There is a lot of cultural diversity here in Morgantown if you choose to be involved in it
I honestly wouldn't suggest living in any of the surrounding areas such as Fairmont or Clarksburg. Housing in Morgantown is much more expensive- But I think it is worth the extra cost. I have lived in the Cheat Lake area for the last 3 years- and have really enjoyed it. You are only about 7 minutes from town, but you never have to worry about college students throwing a party until all hours of the night out here. With what you are paying in Fl, I dont think you will have any problem affording something nice here. The public school system is really good here in morgantown too (from what I have heard- no kids yet!)
Please let me know if you have any other questions- I would love to help!

Old 12-15-2006, 12:31 PM
MKS

1 posts, read 5,071 times
Default Moving to Mo-town...

I was reading all these replies and I got the urge to add my two cents...

I grew up in Morgantown and have recenty moved back -from out of state- to Grafton (about 20 miles south of Morgantown). I've been away for years and I'm very happy to be back, so that says something.
Morgantown has always been progressive; to integrate the diverse, University population (which DOUBLES the size of the town) it has to be progressive. However, now, I go to Morgantown once every month or two, and I have noticed other signs of an increase in growth and diversity that were never there way back when. For instance: hearing 2 or 3 or even 4 different languages while grocery shopping & recent, major investments in city parks and trails.
Morgantown is (to quote a childhood acquaintance who was 'just passing through'), and always has been (at least since the University) a 'small town with a big city attitude'. And there are definite advantages to that configuration.

Old 12-16-2006, 09:09 PM

Thank you all for your continued comments. I had the opportunity to visit at the beginning of this week and it was great! The temperature was perfect, and the views are breathtaking. I cant imagine what the mountains look like when it snows, beautiful I am sure! I wasnt there very long, but for the short time I was, the town was nice and people were friendly. I am confident that if this move does happen, we will fit in nicely. I now have to find a house to rent, so any info from anyone on that would be great, a 3BDRM/2Bath or larger near a good middle school would be WONDERFUL!

Old 12-24-2006, 05:14 PM

27 posts, read 107,067 times
Default Just saw you post

Hi Imacksgirl,
I lived in WV many years. It is my Homestate. I raised my family there. I now live in MT where it seems mixed families are accepted well in the area I live and from my observation.
As sad as it is, and in our day and age, WV is not too friendly to mixed families. Of course there are folks that are not in the least prejudice. I know someone that experienced racism in WV because of a mixed family. At school especially. In the area that these folks lived most adults don't say anything to your face unless there is a disagreement about something and than they throw it at the family members. But the kids can be unkind, not saying all kids are. Of course this is just my observation. Not too many AA in WV, very low ratio. Now further North it gets better for mixed families. Also Maryland is very good and of course Washington, DC. Philidelphia, PA, etc. You mentioned living in Florida. I would think that Florida would be very open to mixed marriages.
I answered your post for the hopeful purpose of being helpful. I hope something works out good for you and family and the Job your husband wants to obtain.
If you liked my reply, would you please rate it. thanks
Sincerely, WVrose

Old 12-27-2006, 07:40 AM

wvrose~

Actually I didnt find your post helpful. I see in some of your other posts you boast and brag on how wonderful the state of WV is but here you are saying WV is predjudice so which is it? I dont expect EVERYONE to come over and bring me cookies or for everyone to be accepting of my family, I dont expect that anywhere. I do however, expect to feel safe in my home and my kids to be safe at school, anything else I can handle. You never say what part you lived in just that WV is your home state, are you from Morgantown?? When was the last time you lived there, several years ago?? All of this takes into account how things are viewed, as things constantly change. With a University there, I would expect a more diverse group of people, that would be anywhere a university/college is, I would think. I checked citydata and realize there isnt a high percentage of AA, but I certainly dont expect to be harassed and in fear of my life, nor for my kids to be. I have lived in PA, MD, worked in DC and yes now am in FL, and all of these places have their share of issues like everywhere else. I certainly dont see any of these places as an option to live, especially Phila. given the location of the job offer, so not sure what you meant by that. Regardless of how people feel, if the offer pans out to my husbands liking we will be moving.

Thank you to all of the previous posters that are from or in Morgantown!! Your city is beautiful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia