Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 01:17 AM

31 posts, read 158,184 times

Advertisements

Well to each their own, every person have their own interests. When you are working some where, you can't escape having conversations with your coworkers. In our personal life or at work we make friends with only those whom we get along with. So not a big deal. I do not buy this argument, as some one said, that women do not work properly. Women have excelled in every field as men have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 09:38 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
Well, I am a man, I work with mostly men, and a hand few of girls, The men here never talk about sports. There are many nationalities at my place of employment, I am Greek and we have Egyptian, Turkish, Indian men as well.
maybe it is an American thing for "straight men" to only talk about sports....

So I would agree with you as I HATE ANY TYPE OF SPORT. America puts way too much emphasis on it's importance......

Old 05-09-2011, 10:18 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
I'm the only woman in a department with 9 other men and Im far happier here than I was working In an all female environment. All most women want to do is gossip and talk about other women behind their backs and I just couldn't stand it. I get along much better in an all male environment.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:24 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,937,433 times
My office is 80% women and my team (which I am in charge of) is composed entirely of women, excluding myself. The gossip, rivalry and bickering are at times unbearable. While I've worked with men who partake in these things, it's primarily women who do\ this. High school never seems to end for some people.

I've found that the best policy is to remain somewhat detatched from the fray. I get along with pretty much everyone and sometimes socalise with people from work but I make it a point to stay out of the gossip, aviod discussing politics, religion or my romantic life or date anyone I work with.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:32 AM

839 posts, read 2,417,620 times
Well, I can relate.... Sort of.....

I use power tools for a living..... Doesn't get much more manly than that, but, I too, despise sports. Especially football....

Guys on a job site tend to look at you a little funny when you have no idea who is going to the Superbowl, and furthermore, couldn't care less....

I love to talk politics, guns, tools, cars, trucks, food, and sex, (all frequent topics of discussion in a male dominated environment), I just can't get into sports......

Old 05-09-2011, 11:59 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
Well, I can relate.... Sort of.....

I use power tools for a living..... Doesn't get much more manly than that, but, I too, despise sports. Especially football....

Guys on a job site tend to look at you a little funny when you have no idea who is going to the Superbowl, and furthermore, couldn't care less....

I love to talk politics, guns, tools, cars, trucks, food, and sex, (all frequent topics of discussion in a male dominated environment), I just can't get into sports......

Same here bro, I so "get" where you are coming from!!!

Give me a *** saw, circular saw, drill with a thousand bits, palm sander, rouder and a few sheets of ply wood, and I can def do something with it,

throw me a ball, and I wouldn't have a clue...
nor would I be interested.....

PS: you think because all my father ever did was sit in front of a television set every minute of his life and watch whatever "game" was in season, therefore we had to be quiet in the house...so as to not disturb him..........................ya think maybe that's why I hate sports!!!!!

Old 05-09-2011, 12:39 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
Interesting. I have heard that women do not like having a female supervisor. Imagine working in an Engineering office where it's 90% men. But they don't talk about sports all the time.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:40 PM

839 posts, read 2,417,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
[/u][/b]

Same here bro, I so "get" where you are coming from!!!

Give me a *** saw, circular saw, drill with a thousand bits, palm sander, rouder and a few sheets of ply wood, and I can def do something with it,

throw me a ball, and I wouldn't have a clue...
nor would I be interested.....

PS: you think because all my father ever did was sit in front of a television set every minute of his life and watch whatever "game" was in season, therefore we had to be quiet in the house...so as to not disturb him..........................ya think maybe that's why I hate sports!!!!!
Lol, I'd rep you again but I have to spread it around....

Same deal with my dad. Maybe not every minute of his life, but I suspect this also contributes to my own dislike of football and Sunday afternoons in general.....

Old 05-09-2011, 01:31 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,960,503 times
The only topics I could enjoy talking about with other men are technology, politics, video games, and some other stuff. Of course, you gotta be careful when discussing politics in the workplace. You have to be very confident that you can talk with someone about politics without it becoming a mess.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:05 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,359,422 times
I prefer to work around women also. Preferably if they have a low cut top and a short skirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment