Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:30 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,060,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I'm the only woman in a department with 9 other men and Im far happier here than I was working In an all female environment. All most women want to do is gossip and talk about other women behind their backs and I just couldn't stand it. I get along much better in an all male environment.
As a rule, most of the women I worked around were just as you described, and I too preferred to work around men, and for the exact reasons you stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 08:32 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,696,595 times
Love, love, love men! Working with them, playing with them, and parenting them (as a mom) and sharing parents with them (as a sister) .........

Old 05-10-2011, 11:05 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,734,634 times
They took away our jokes (polish, blacks, sex, religious). We are running out of topics for bonding.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:06 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am a 26 year old male and much prefer working with women over men. From my experience, men tend to have more egos and lack any sort of emotion whatsoever. All they want to talk about is sports, and I HATE sports! I don't know anything or care about anything related to sports. I can have better conversations with women about life in general. Of course, that's not to say all men are like that. There are exceptions. For example, my department consists of 9 men (including myself) and 6 women. Of the 9 men, I only really connect well with about 3 of them. Of the women, I connect well with all of them. Is something wrong with me? Or do other people have the same experiences working with men?

Again, the primary reason I hate working with men is that they want to talk about sports 100% of the time, and it pisses me off.
You obviously identify yourself with women more so this is normal.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 05-10-2011 at 11:15 AM..

Old 05-10-2011, 11:10 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
How do you guys network at work if you're only talking about work or not talking at all?

They are booooring!
I met some of my closest friends at work. Even though my job sucks, the reason I still go there with a smile on my face is because of my wonderful coworkers.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:45 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,476,977 times
I love working for men and won't ever work for women again. I'm a female and I find that I get better along with men at work then women. Women, to me, are very catty, gossipy and unprofessional.

I've meet professional women bosses but they are very few. IMO.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:16 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,960,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
When you started working there did you instantly gravitate to the women by choice or did you really try to befriend the men?

From my personal experience, there is this sense of brotherhood or whatever you want to call it with men. I guess in the sense (and I do this) most men in the work place tend to be more loyal to the other men of their 'group' than with the women in the office. I think when a new guy comes in, there is this expectation that maybe you won't be friends, but that you will be more loyal to that side. When they then see you being more friendly to the women and befriending them more, they probably see it as a diss against them, even if you didn't mean it.

I say this because this happened where I worked. Our group in work was pretty even, like 6 girls 5 guys and we would always do lunch together. One day we get this one new guy who was around our age (we were all in our 20's). On his first day we all went out to lunch, however, he certainly seemed to feel more comfortable with the women and talked to them more and interacted with them more. For instance when he would come to our department, he would really only talk to the chicks. So the guys in our group felt kind of dissed and we really didn't care for him after that point. We thought he would be more on our side, but we wrong. We didn't hate him, but we just felt he chose not to be part of the 'brotherhood' as silly as that may sound.

Just asking because if you did that, they might be possibly talking about sports all the time and have no interest in befriending you anymore. I am sure you have some college sports fans/alumni there. When they talk about their beloved Huskies, ask them how they liked Storrs as a college town, etc. While the conversation might be short, at least they will see you have an interest in trying to chat with them.

Also, having friends at the work place is overrated. It's nice to have them, but I have realized those are usually the shortest lived friendships.
I never felt the presence of a "brotherhood" when hanging around other men. I always felt somewhat different, in fact. Always had a strange time connecting with other guys in a friendship sense. Maybe it's because I'm gay.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:13 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I never felt the presence of a "brotherhood" when hanging around other men. I always felt somewhat different, in fact. Always had a strange time connecting with other guys in a friendship sense. Maybe it's because I'm gay.
agreed !

Old 05-10-2011, 01:14 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
agreed !
and also because I am not interested in dumb ass male talk, but then I'm not interested in female talk either.......

and that doesn't leave very much for me....yikes !!!!

Old 05-10-2011, 01:32 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,548,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I'm the only woman in a department with 9 other men and Im far happier here than I was working In an all female environment. All most women want to do is gossip and talk about other women behind their backs and I just couldn't stand it. I get along much better in an all male environment.

I agree. I hate all the gossip and backstabbing. Another thing I can't stand is that most women never want to drop an issue. Every disagreement has to drag on and on, and every molehill has to turn into a mountain.

I'd rather work with 100 men than one woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment