Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 01:31 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,963,301 times

Advertisements

Architect doesn't mean you are a cultured independent thinker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Some my best friends who are architects, have studied architecture in Rome and France, play instruments, love sports (U of Mich specifically), but you are right. They are uncultured, competitive, buffonish, collective thinkers. Just like everyone else around the world that is obsessed with soccer. Please lead the way to our salvation.

Thank you for enlightening me. I am done with this conversation. You are either a very sour person or you have a really bad elitist attitude. People like different things and sports is a big thing here. No reason to hate because you don't like it. I think it's fine to have your opinion, but when you start assuming things about people like that that is what bothers me. I am done with this conversation now, I am not wasting anymore time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 09:47 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,610,493 times
all i talk to my coworkers about is sex, travel, and making money. dont think sports has ever come up.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:06 PM

32 posts, read 52,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Anything other than sports. Yes, even Joe Lieberman. I love politics.
talking about politics at work is a no no.
i work with mostly women and i prefer to work with men.
less flirting and temptation and also im not interested in rumors or gossip about who does or says or looks what.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:44 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,624,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I know what you are saying. They are boorish rubes. Smart enough to "run a corporation" but dumb enough to obsess over sports and "who won the game".

Look you don't like sports-fine but don't beat up people who do-tonight the Tampa Bay Lightning are playing-and I'm watching-why? Because I have a high stress job and for a few hours I can forget my problems and think about nothing. I'll go down to my local sports bar..have a drink, eat and have a good time. If they win, on Monday a few of us will take 5 minutes and talk about it..it's more than sports, it's team building. Then when I need help on a project and need someone else..maybe one of those guys will assist because we have something in common-

But guess what I'd rather talk about sports with people than go to work with people who don't socialize-I want to go to work not prison.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:38 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,646,312 times
I prefer working with the guys-at least at the bus garage I worked at for years. I made some good friends there and never dealt with drama like some of the women could try and drum up-mostly the new hires and they didn't last long anyways.

I taught my girls well. They can talk cars(antique muscles cars they love), baseball, football and they picked up hockey on their own.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:47 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,380,609 times
I would rather work with men than women any day. They are more professional. The women I wrok with gossip and backbite. They want to know all about my private life, so they can talk about it. They dress inappropriate too, with too much perfume, and wear a dress with heels, and expect others to do work for them because they are not dressed right for working tasks--go figure it?!

Man talk, "see those Celtics play the other night?"
Woman talk "are you going to breast feed?"

Geez! Guess who I would rather work with?!

Old 05-14-2011, 09:54 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,706,584 times
Quote:
Reading and writing continues to contribute to society.
Yes...Harlequin romance novels continue grow our society in a profoundly spiritual way

Quote:
Sports has never contributed anything except for entertainment. It's a distraction from reality
So what's wrong with wanting to be entertained every once in a while? What's wrong with an occasional distraction? I enjoy it on occasion, and can be entertained by a good work of fiction, a great film (or sometimes a dumb, mindless one), or a good concert. I also enjoy watching a good hockey game for the same reasons.

In general, I'm not a sports fan, I don't follow football, basketball or baseball...but I love me some hockey. Although now that my Caps are once again relegated to the golf field, the NHL season is over for me.

We moved to Charlotte, NC a few years ago...no major league hockey here, but we do have a minor league team and we went to some of those after we moved here just for the sake of seeing live hockey. As a result of the social aspects of going to those games, we made a lot of friends in the city where we recently moved, many of whom we found shared a lot of similar interests with us - we hang out a lot, either at games or doing other things (where hockey doesn't even come up).

Quote:
So if everyone at work talked about Nascar for the majority of the time every single day I'm sure you would get annoyed and depressed.
I thought we were talking about sports? NASCAR is not a sport

Old 05-14-2011, 04:45 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times
Quote:
I am a 26 year old male and much prefer working with women over men. From my experience, men tend to have more egos and lack any sort of emotion whatsoever. All they want to talk about is sports, and I HATE sports! I don't know anything or care about anything related to sports. I can have better conversations with women about life in general. Of course, that's not to say all men are like that. There are exceptions. For example, my department consists of 9 men (including myself) and 6 women. Of the 9 men, I only really connect well with about 3 of them. Of the women, I connect well with all of them. Is something wrong with me? Or do other people have the same experiences working with men?

Again, the primary reason I hate working with men is that they want to talk about sports 100% of the time, and it pisses me off.

Yu would defintely be someone I would ignore on a daily basis

Old 05-14-2011, 05:27 PM
FBJ

Quote:
I don't like shoes or shopping either.
Do you like hanging out with Brucie?-lol

Old 05-14-2011, 05:38 PM
FBJ

This thread makes no sense because I work with women and gay men who LOVE SPORTS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment