Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 08:17 PM

56 posts, read 124,261 times

Advertisements

Bye the way, more blab here. I don't think you'd even be on here if you knew what job you were willing to do, right now, not long term, just immediate. Are you blowing smoke on us? Can you pass the drug testing? I'm just asking, because right now I could get several jobs around, they're not anything I feel like doing right now. But I'm 46, and so, whatever. But you haven't even started out, so you can't make a terribly bad career move right now. Like, right now you don't have any debt at all. You don't have to go to college and go into massive debt. Yes you may have a ceiling on your long-term career from that choice, but that doesn't mean your stupid for making that choice right now. (If you read recent posts here you will see people complaining about $50K in college debt and they can't find a job after one year of graduation). I am sure that there is one place around there, where you live, where you KNOW that you can go work. Might be slinging food for seniors, or washing dishes, or something exponentially more sucky than all combined.

Try thinking outside the Jack-in-the-Box
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 08:29 PM

97 posts, read 320,915 times
I agree with being able to take a chance young. 3 years ago at age 19, I moved 2100 miles from my hometown in Maryland to come to Utah. I've learned and grown so much since then and actually consider Utah my home now. Learning how to run a forklift could be beneficial, especially if your area has a lot of warehouses. I don't know how to run a forklift, but I work in a warehouse for a security company.

Also, you could do what I like to do in my spare time, search rolls of coins at banks for valuable ones. All Dimes, Quarters, and Half Dollars made 1964 and earlier are 90% Silver and worth about 23 times face value. All Half Dollars 1965-1970 are 40% Silver. A Silver in a stack of regular coins sticks out like a sore thumb. You would go to banks and ask for Half Dollars, then Dime rolls. Every $5 you have is another roll of Dimes or another 10 Half Dollars you could search. Be sure to cash in the non valuable coins at a different bank from where you bought them if you search a lot, as I do.

In addition, all Pennies made 1981 or earlier are 95% Copper and worth over 2 cents each in metal value. You would have to handsort, but a typical 50 cent roll of pennies has 6-10 of the 95% Coppers. You kind of develop your own method as you search enough rolls. Not to mention the chance of finding Wheat Pennies which are anything from 3 cents to several hundred dollars depending on date, mintmark, and condition. People typically sell Copper Pennies for about 1.8-2 cents each, since unlike the Silver coins it's illegal to melt them down.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:46 AM

7 posts, read 8,675 times
If the person needing advice is still reading this posts, I have a couple of ideas. If you know which profession you want to get into, look into the local chapter of its professional association. Just about every industry has one and their purpose is for professionals to network with each other, share best practices, etc. They usually have monthly luncheons or happy hour socials, breakfast meetings, etc. You could attend as a guest, you don't need to be invited; you just call their office or the person who is coordinating it and ask if you can attend. Say that you are a young professional, student, etc. and are considering their profession so you were hoping to learn a little from others in the industry. What you'll find is that they'll be flattered and you'll make them feel important. We all want to feel important and we all love to talk about ourselves so you'll find this to be a win-win situation, very enlightening and will gain a couple of mentors along the way. You can also call someone in the industry you like who is well known for their accomplishments and request a meeting with them. Tell them the same thing - you're looking for guidance or a mentor. Again, they'll love to tell you about how great they are. If you don't have the $10-$20 it costs to go to the luncheon, call the association office and ask if they have a big event or conference coming up that you can volunteer for. The next thing you know, you'll be "in the know" and the one people hold resentment towards because they'll think that you were hired on just because you "know someone." when in fact, all you really did is mastered the number one fundamental of any and every business - NETWORKING! Good luck and keep us posted! Take care, me

Old 04-14-2012, 01:56 AM

7 posts, read 8,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
I am attempting Amazon Mechanical Turk. Sad thing is I am barely not making peanuts. It is not a scam. However, their tasks only pays pennies or dimes.

The only thing for me is freelancing on Odesk. I know I'm not going to earn enough to buy a Mercedes but at least I'll have some extra shopping money. I am tired of trying to suck d**k to get a job, due to my lack of experience and "Special" abilities they request (if I can fix cars, build a bridge, operate a forklift, work with machinery, etc.). I even put "Immediately Available", and I still get ignored. I hope freelancing can help me develop my skills and abilities. Well see.
If the person needing advice is still reading this posts, I have a couple of ideas. If you know which profession you want to get into, look into the local chapter of its professional association. Just about every industry has one and their purpose is for professionals to network with each other, share best practices, etc. They usually have monthly luncheons or happy hour socials, breakfast meetings, etc. You could attend as a guest, you don't need to be invited; you just call their office or the person who is coordinating it and ask if you can attend. Say that you are a young professional, student, etc. and are considering their profession so you were hoping to learn a little from others in the industry. What you'll find is that they'll be flattered and you'll make them feel important. We all want to feel important and we all love to talk about ourselves so you'll find this to be a win-win situation, very enlightening and will gain a couple of mentors along the way. You can also call someone in the industry you like who is well known for their accomplishments and request a meeting with them. Tell them the same thing - you're looking for guidance or a mentor. Again, they'll love to tell you about how great they are. If you don't have the $10-$20 it costs to go to the luncheon, call the association office and ask if they have a big event or conference coming up that you can volunteer for. The next thing you know, you'll be "in the know" and the one people hold resentment towards because they'll think that you were hired on just because you "know someone." when in fact, all you really did is mastered the number one fundamental of any and every business - NETWORKING! It may not pay off right away, but if you stay in touch with the people you meet or do a good job volunteering, when you see that they have an opening; they'd be more inclined to hire you because they KNOW you. You won't start off at the top, but getting on at any level will help you build that resume!

Old 04-25-2012, 09:12 PM

640 posts, read 1,215,109 times
How exactly is community college going to help him look any better then the spot he is already in? At my last job (retail) there were 2 employees with college degrees working the cash register. I am in the same spot as him right now with only a GED but I am waiting to hear back from vocrehab. The best thing he could do is community college and a local job on the side but the problem is finding said low wage job. The competition is high and employers are scum. It's a pretty complex situation.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:28 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,592,630 times
Well, community college is much cheaper than a university for one, so there's less risk. He may find something he's good at there with a decent prospect of a job. Community colleges have a lot of trade programs that have high job placement rates.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:02 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,750,634 times
I wish I went to tech school instead.

I have zero experience nor I'm trained or skilled in anything. I only have a High School Diploma, and it's just a piece of paper. My only hope is to get trained in something before I can continue looking for a job. Probably the job corps looks like a good idea.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:04 PM

640 posts, read 1,215,109 times
I almost went to job corps during the fall but the people who ran the place sent me an application and I never got it in the mail. They also told me not to go because there's alot of bad people in the program. Usually ex-felons and hardcore bullies.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:00 PM

I would like to hear some folks about their experiences who ACTUALLY went to job corps.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:48 PM

I might as well join the peace corps. I've always wanted to visit other countries, I believe the peace corps can fulfill my wish. The military possibly could but there's more of a chance I could wind up in the combat zones of Afghanistan. (We've been pulled from Iraq since late 2011). I'll be like "Yeah bros, I had bullets flying at me and things blowing up next to me when I was in Afghanistan, yo". hahaha. I don't actually talk like that. No offense. For those wondering, I'd like to go to Eastern Europe and Asia. I found about it while browsing the web.

Peace Corps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment