Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 04:37 PM

640 posts, read 1,214,783 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry you are going through this. I have a mild disability and I'm 21, and I am trying to collaborate with voc rehab to see if I can get into schooling and find some low level job even if it is part time. I miss working at my old job, even though I was only there for a short time, it felt great to have a purpose in life. I'm going through it too. This is the new reality. Where having to know someone is mandatory, nobody gives chances, and there's 50 people behind you to be a slave for mcdonald's.

Alot of young 20 somethings are having to put their lives "on hold" and either give up, or be forced to go down different paths. It is a shame. If I could I would make sure nobody who wanted a job went without one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 04:21 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
what are you good at? maybe you could find some work online doing data entry or marketing.
I'm looking at online data entry and the problem is to determine whether they are real or fake. The real ones are hidden behind these scams.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:01 AM

Time for me to seek self employment. Any Ideas? Freelancing is a possibility.

I have never worked a day in my life but I participated in activities like martial arts (I am no Jackie Chan but I'm somewhat good) and NJROTC.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:44 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Teaching your form of martial arts?

Old 04-08-2012, 05:29 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times
Quote:
I'm sorry you are going through this. I have a mild disability and I'm 21, and I am trying to collaborate with voc rehab to see if I can get into schooling and find some low level job even if it is part time. I miss working at my old job, even though I was only there for a short time, it felt great to have a purpose in life. I'm going through it too. This is the new reality. Where having to know someone is mandatory, nobody gives chances, and there's 50 people behind you to be a slave for mcdonald's.
That's a myth.

Quote:
My aunt, who was a CPA, and my uncle, who I worked for doing maintenance, hired an accounting student out of my same program who was 1 year older than me. I was a naive young student, who got straight A's and was excited to get some expirence and maybe have a mentor. I was also a very shy person who couldn't deal with social interaction very well.

My uncle was one of the most important people in my life, almost like a father. One of the my only "friends" in the world. I quit, because I could not stand the pain of coming into work everyday plunging toilets and dealing with drunks/drug users at this section 8 hell hole, while they had a student across town driving a new car----while my college dream was sucked away by someone so important to me. When I left, I asked them if I could come back once she moved on....they said yes.

It sent me into one of the most painful spirals of depression possible. I didn't even think it was POSSIBLE to live in such a way. I have been where you're at. Your brain literaly spins, and you can't get out of bed. I would not wish that feeling on anyone. It's not even possible to describe to someone who has not been there.

A year later, they played stupid about the entire situation. Saying they had no idea I would feel this way. Then, the girl finally leaves (to the best CPA firm in our area), and they lied by ommission and kept the little detail away from me that the company was in huge financial trouble and my uncle lost his job and they were not going to hire another intern. They turned against me entirely and told me they wanted no contact with me ever again. I haven't seen them for 3 years now....

After I quit, I lost 50 pounds from working out(it was one of the only things that made me feel good), and got straight A's in my accounting program. During that time, I found 2 woman at 2 internships, CPA and an MBA who have meant the world to me. They gave me a chance, and have been involved in my life ever since then. They were so nice, it actually restored my faith in humanity. Through college, and these real world expirences, I have become so much better with dealing with people, when before I had ZERO social interaction. I now work as an intern at a CPA firm, and have a very good opportunity to get into the same firm as said girl. Of course, at the time I was angry and jealous towards her, but as a matured, I realize that she did nothing wrong, and I don't hold any resentment towards her.

You can change your position, even when it seems like there's no hope. You can find new people who care about you. You can find new jobs. You have to keep at it and change your attitude. Look at your flaws and change them one at a time. Get better every day.

"The brick walls are there for a reason. They're not there to keep us out. They're there to give us an opportunity to show how badly we want something".

Old 04-08-2012, 06:21 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times
I have not read all the posts since this was an old thread, but your family having low income is a good thing as far as Grants for school are concerned, have you talked with the financial aid person at the local CC or State College?

If you still want to join the military, watch your diet and exercise, unless you have a health issue that is causing you to be over-weight, the pounds will come off relatively fast, if you had started last year when you started this thread you would be in fine shape now probably already in the military.

If you are over-weight for the military, you are not going to do very well teaching martial arts

Nothing changes if nothing changes.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:44 PM

392 posts, read 704,314 times
KevDogg is clearly smart, as we can tell from his posts. If you think your GPA is holding you back, write in your cover letters that you are smarter than that and can prove it (get creative in how to do that).

The hardest part about rejections is not the simple rejection, but why. No one ever tells you the truth since it could be as simple as not liking your teeth or the cadence in your speaking. Of course they will never tell you exactly why, just that "someone more qualified" got the position.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:13 PM

I am attempting Amazon Mechanical Turk. Sad thing is I am barely not making peanuts. It is not a scam. However, their tasks only pays pennies or dimes.

The only thing for me is freelancing on Odesk. I know I'm not going to earn enough to buy a Mercedes but at least I'll have some extra shopping money. I am tired of trying to suck d**k to get a job, due to my lack of experience and "Special" abilities they request (if I can fix cars, build a bridge, operate a forklift, work with machinery, etc.). I even put "Immediately Available", and I still get ignored. I hope freelancing can help me develop my skills and abilities. Well see.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:17 PM

611 posts, read 1,456,180 times
Come to Fargo, ND. Rent is dirt cheap, you WILL get a job the same day you get here. You can room with someone until you can afford your own place. There are more jobs than people here. Trust me. Dont believe me, google it. People are nice here, and its about to be summer time, so its not cold. Spend the summer here working, gain some experience, and then maybe you will be more marketable in LV. You don't need a whole bunch of money to start over.

I would encourage ALL 18-20-whatever year olds to take a chance somewhere else. People get so caught up in their "home town" even when that place is stiffiling them, and preventing them from reaching their full potential.

Your young- take a chance. Im 25 and I have lived all over the US, and with a kid of my own at that. Being flexible and adaptable to change is the reason that I am doing so well in this economy. When I was your age I was waiting tables in the US Virgin Islands- having a blast.

Theres also work on the oil rigs on the other side of North Dakota, those guys are making serious money.

In addition, you qualify for a FAFSA if your parents make less than 50K a year. Now, it sounds like people dont want to be bothered to collect all of the tax papers and documentation - it can be a pain getting a grant- but from what your saying you qualify. Pressure your parents to do whatever has to be done. Also, your not EARNING anything. In addition your NOT paying your 40 quarters of work into Social Security, so if you become disabled, you WILL NOT qualify for a disability check.

Last edited by duttygal86; 04-13-2012 at 03:35 PM..

Old 04-13-2012, 07:50 PM

56 posts, read 124,193 times
Yo Dawg, uhmm I've read through all the posts, pretty much. Sounds like yo wanna chill gig poolside. Dude, come on. Get real here. Military is out. Restaurant not gonna happen. Any call centers? Anything like ACS or just those big buildings with a big old bunch of people wearing headsets taking bitchy calls and stuff. As much as everyone says that all that kind of work has been relocated to Bangladesh, when I make calls to cell phones and credit cards and stuff, I talk to English speaking what sounds like......USAmericans. So that kinda job sounds kinda related to your personal preferences, eh?

Do you really want to be part of the Military Industrial Complex? People still really want to sell their soul out like that? I'm asking, do you? Just checking, 'cause been reading a lot of everyone else's preferences here. But what is your preference? You gotta figure that out.

Can you move? I know a place on the Oregon Coast got ads going all the time for call center workers. And they really are hiring. It's just that, all the locals say that "no one can stand working there for very long", but they are sorta lazy coastals, so the rumor is just that, a rumor.

Dude, you have other options. I mean, don't get spooked by what everyone is shouting at you on here. They all have an agenda, shoot, so do I, but whatever, it doesn't matter. Just find your own agenda. Sounds like a trip out to the desert for 3 days by yourself and a good hike in and out could clear your head and let the dust settle. Then go forth warrior. If you're soul-searching, then you gotta talk with your soul self.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment