Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 05:19 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nardoman View Post
Bye the way, more blab here. I don't think you'd even be on here if you knew what job you were willing to do, right now, not long term, just immediate. Are you blowing smoke on us? Can you pass the drug testing? I'm just asking, because right now I could get several jobs around, they're not anything I feel like doing right now. But I'm 46, and so, whatever. But you haven't even started out, so you can't make a terribly bad career move right now. Like, right now you don't have any debt at all. You don't have to go to college and go into massive debt. Yes you may have a ceiling on your long-term career from that choice, but that doesn't mean your stupid for making that choice right now. (If you read recent posts here you will see people complaining about $50K in college debt and they can't find a job after one year of graduation). I am sure that there is one place around there, where you live, where you KNOW that you can go work. Might be slinging food for seniors, or washing dishes, or something exponentially more sucky than all combined.

Try thinking outside the Jack-in-the-Box

I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life when I finished high school. Had my trade certs though from high school and went to a factory and started working. Didn't make terribly much at first, maybe 30K, sat in front of machines all day, and basically had what looked like a dead end job. In a couple years though, I was setting up the machines, making tools, doing prototype work, learning to weld, making more $$$ and had better job prospects... The doors opened up. Sometimes, the problem is people try to PLAN their lives and careers too much. Unfortunately, all the planning in the world sometimes makes no difference at all. You just have to run with whatever is available to you, tough it out, and see what it leads to. If you talk to older folks, that kind of how it happened for many of them. My job kinda sucked at first, and I did go to college on and off with the hope of finding something better, but eventually, opportunities began to appear.

When I hear about people complaining about their "useless degree"... Please, get over yourselves. The thing about knowledge is, they can't take it away from you. Stop paying on your mortgage, and see how long you have a house to live in. If you feel cheated for having paid 50K for a degree in the evolution of snack foods, that one is on you for being irresponsible with money you never earned. I believe the education infrastructure in this country needs a big overhaul, and I think colleges need more regulation to protect middle class families and young people, but it's buyer beware until then. The focus should be 95% things that are useful and relevant in the job market. Things always need to be made... Where are all the machine shop programs? Where are all the welding programs? They are out there, but nowhere near the number of college programs teaching women's studies and such. Folks need to learn the value of hard skills once again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
How exactly is community college going to help him look any better then the spot he is already in? At my last job (retail) there were 2 employees with college degrees working the cash register. I am in the same spot as him right now with only a GED but I am waiting to hear back from vocrehab. The best thing he could do is community college and a local job on the side but the problem is finding said low wage job. The competition is high and employers are scum. It's a pretty complex situation.
Are the employers scum, or are they merely trying to stay competitive? After all, middle class families aren't rolling in dough these days, and they are demanding the best values possible. Hence, lower wages for their kids. The employers are forced to work within their budgets like anyone else. And there is nothing complex about this situation... Take whatever job is available for the best wage possible. The way it's always been. Nobody is forcing anyone to accept retail employment, it's always been a low paying line of work. Profit margins are tiny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 07:40 PM

640 posts, read 1,215,109 times
Money is a slave system. That's why.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:02 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,517,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
Money is a slave system. That's why.

You know what kills me, internships...
Years ago, no one would have EVER dreamed of working for no money.
Even if you were being trained or getting experience, you'd be compensated for your

time
effort
travel expenses

This business of people working free to get experience, it guarantees them nothing, and the company
gets free wages.
Using unpaid interns is supposedly going to be the norm. Americans working for nothing to get "experience", but the carrot is so far from them.
Long ago, slaves received meals, and even an intern doesn't get that.

Yet, people smile and play dumb as if this is some kind of courtesy being extended to them.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:03 PM

114 posts, read 245,050 times
He needs to pray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment