Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 03:59 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times

Advertisements

*giving up*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 10:51 PM

884 posts, read 1,171,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
I know there's a Job Corp office here in Reno. It's in Stead, and Stead is a ghetto area filled with thugs. (I've been through Stead before for the air races, and trust me. It's not a good area). I guess I'll have to bust out an ASVAB study guide, and review it. (I could possibly get one from my library).
and...this means you can't go? I don't understand, lots of things are in bad neighborhoods, it's not like you have to live there! if you really wanted to make it work, you would.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:46 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,096 times
I attempted to enlist this morning but the recruiters told me that I'm over the weight limits and I need to lose some weight before enlisting.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:21 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,047 times
Quote:
I've graduated high school a year ago. I can't get a job. I've looked everywhere and applied, but nothing. I can't go to college because my family can't afford it, and I got a low GPA in school, so this blows many options. I even looked at scholarships (most were only open to high school seniors), and grants (most were for adults returning to school. You have to be at least 25 for those). My parent's won't fill out for financial aid because the classes I have to take aren't at college level (numbered below the 100 level). I can't get a loan because I have no credit. Neither my parents because they have bad credit (my dad u.e. for one year).

Can you please help?
Learn a hand's on trade that is inelastic in demand. Don't waste any money on School. It's a huge bubble. You can learn the trade via experience and used textbooks online and Library late fees. Electrician, Plumbing, Mechanic, etc. Show you're determined and volunteer a little to get your foot in the door somewhere.

You're not in debt. That is a HUGE plus. Stay that way. You won't be like the other graduates with a degree, plenty of loans, but NO job.

If you decide that you must go to school, go to a "public" community college (it's cheap). Don't follow the majority that think to get a job now we have to be $75K in debt with a Masters Degree for job that provides 20k-30k/year.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:37 PM

831 posts, read 2,825,288 times
Quote:
I've graduated high school a year ago. I can't get a job. I've looked everywhere and applied, but nothing. I can't go to college because my family can't afford it, and I got a low GPA in school, so this blows many options. I even looked at scholarships (most were only open to high school seniors), and grants (most were for adults returning to school. You have to be at least 25 for those). My parent's won't fill out for financial aid because the classes I have to take aren't at college level (numbered below the 100 level). I can't get a loan because I have no credit. Neither my parents because they have bad credit (my dad u.e. for one year).

Can you please help?
All I can suggest is the EOF program and a vocation school. Beg your parents for help. You need help.
Since you screwed up college oppts., but should just train in one trade that you like and get a certificate.
Also, for now, look for internships, it's good experience and sometimes turn into jobs.
I would suggest you go to the library and ask for help in finding a career coach or a program that can assist you.
This is America, there is hope.

The most important thing you can do now is to start becoming more mature so that bad grades dont happen again.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:17 PM

11,237 posts, read 11,015,248 times
Quote:
I attempted to enlist this morning but the recruiters told me that I'm over the weight limits and I need to lose some weight before enlisting.
You're a young buck. This should not be hard. Are we talking 20 lbs. or more like 100 lbs.? At your age, you should burn that junk off in your sleep. It only gets worse as you get older. That's a promise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
Learn a hand's on trade that is inelastic in demand. Don't waste any money on School. It's a huge bubble. You can learn the trade via experience and used textbooks online and Library late fees. Electrician, Plumbing, Mechanic, etc. Show you're determined and volunteer a little to get your foot in the door somewhere.

You're not in debt. That is a HUGE plus. Stay that way. You won't be like the other graduates with a degree, plenty of loans, but NO job.

If you decide that you must go to school, go to a "public" community college (it's cheap). Don't follow the majority that think to get a job now we have to be $75K in debt with a Masters Degree for job that provides 20k-30k/year.
Words of absolute wisdom. Hey Kevdawg - If you take a single shread of advice on this entire thread, this is it! ^^^^^^^^ Learn a trade, find a quality apprenticeship to work at, get good at your craft, work it for 5-6 years, attain Journeyman status, and start your own business. RISE ABOVE Partner!

Old 03-09-2012, 10:23 AM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Unfortunately, there are not that many true apprenticeship opportunities out there for young people anymore. There are waitlists stretching for years in most of them. I might suggest instead picking a trade you think you think you might like, and working as labor in that trade. You've gotta start somewhere. While working, you can also investigate vocational programs for your trade. You want to be a sponge for knowledge, and show drive and determination to be the best. Your life is going to suck if you go into it half assed. You've gotta really want it if you want to get good. If you don't put much drive into your pursuit, the downside is a lifetime of crappy labor jobs that pay squat, so if you find a real opportunity to learn, bust your tail and learn!

I will also warn you... It may take at least 4 years to start pulling ANYTHING remotely close to a livable wage. It may take 4 years before you actually get to do a "cool" job in your trade. Until someone gives you a shot to do the work that counts, your next to worthless to anyone, and completely replaceable. For a smart guy that stick with it though, the payoff can be sweet down the road. $30/hr sweet if your the guy who can do it all in many trades. It's a hard road to get there though. You've gotta really want it.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:13 PM

Does anyone know any good websites for freelance writing?

Old 03-27-2012, 03:09 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
No. There aren't any.
There are a couple of sites where you compete for freelance copyedit jobs, you enter bids, and assuming you get some jobs and do them well, you get points and supposedly leverage for bidding yourself higher.
A friend of mine tried guru.com and elance.com, found that the most she could get (and she is very skilled) was ten bucks an hour, so she canned that plan.
Sometimes craigslist will have long-distance "freelance" article jobs listed. Don't know how real they are or if they are worth it.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:34 PM

I found out you can earn money by writing for hubpages and using Google AdSense and Amazon Affiliates.

I'm gonna forget about getting a job because I've searched job postings and ran into "Degree required" or "Experience needed". Even those labor jobs want experienced and skilled workers. I can't do the trades, since I lack a drivers license and a car. Also, it would be a problem when I have to work an hour away and I can't get a ride if no one wants to give me a ride. I guess I'll have to look for something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment