Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 11:57 AM

25,964 posts, read 22,132,993 times

Advertisements

If you check the "Moving" area of the forum, what you'll find is several people that have taken a job and relocated because they didn't like the area or a multitude of different reasons and employers know this. Also, there are a number of candidates who end up backing out before the move. I'm just guessing but what I would do is really research the area where the employer was located before I even interviewed and I would know all the pluses for myself/family that the area had to offer and I would introduce them into the conversation as this would show you were psyched about a possible move but other than that, I think you'll just have to get lucky. A for instance would be that if you were interviewing for a position and said you love to camp, fish and hunt - you would be a perfect fit! Good luck and I know it is tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 01:18 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
How do you reassure future employers that you will actually relocate? It has come down to me and a local candidate and the employer has picked the local--twice. They even tell me that I'm a better fit and they'd hire me--if I were local. Ugghhh. I seem to interview very well, have the experience and the skill-set, great rapport, etc. I also don't hide that I'm out of state with fake mail boxes or cell numbers or anything. During the interview process, I'm often asked things like....am I sure I want to relocate? Do I have kids and how will they react (didn't think this one was legal, but I do try to reassure the interviewer)? Do I have family in the area? Will I pay my own way? (yes, I will). Do I realize that the pay is lower since I'm moving from the DC area to the South? (yeah, I do) I mean, seriously, how much reassurance do they need?

I am committed to moving, but I can't do it without having a job lined up.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, do you have any advice?
I think during the interview when these questions come up, start asking for opinions or suggestions they have about apartments, or real estate agents, property management companies that rent homes. Ask them about different neighborhoods or parts of town they might recommend, how the schools are --- anything that makes it look like you're really going to do it.

You could discuss how you plan to stay in a long stay motel and your family will be moving down by such and such a time. Show some real enthusiasm for the region -- make it clear its what you really want to do, it's where you want to live. Act like you're someone who has relocated in the past, who knows and is prepared to make all the needed steps.

Let them know you can pretty much start the job immediately -- the long term motels work for that but would maybe need one or two days off when the family comes down. That way it looks like you've really given it a lot of thought and are ready to do it.

And yes about the research into the local culture and things to do -- if there are nearby lakes, or family activities, hiking, theme parks, you could bring them up and show that you're more than eager to check everything out and start enjoying all that the region has to offer.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:13 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,678,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think during the interview when these questions come up, start asking for opinions or suggestions they have about apartments, or real estate agents, property management companies that rent homes. Ask them about different neighborhoods or parts of town they might recommend, how the schools are --- anything that makes it look like you're really going to do it.
at one of my best interviews, one where i didn't get the job but the hiring manager called hr raving about me and told them they needed to hire me for something (hasn't happened yet, but my hr contact has been really helpful so far), we had this kind of conversation. i actually had with me my big binder of houses to look at while we were in town, and i spontaneously showed it to them as an example of my organizational skills. we ended up having a fairly long conversation about different places to live within commuting distance.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:04 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,623,048 times
I'm in the process of relocating and finding work. I have an apartment in sight, I just need to send in the application to see if I get approved. When applying for jobs in Michigan, I use my Pennsylvania address for online applications. However, on the resume I don't list my address and just write "Relocating to Roseville 6/2014." My cover letter explains I'm in the process of signing a lease to relocate to Roseville in June 2014 and seeking employment. On online applications, I mark willing to relocate. I'm really hoping it works because I've been trying for 3 months.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:33 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
So many mainland people apply to jobs offered in Hawaii, that employers tend to not even look at the resumes of mainland people. Employers call them "dreamers". In reality, even if they have a very specific, in-need skill set and actually move to Hawaii, they often get disillusioned and move back within a year or so. It just isn't worth the risk to employers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment