Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 08:20 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
At my company we have a policy that we do not accept resumes/CVs with addresses in the initial intake procedure. We got badly sued a few years ago when we chose a local candidate vice one who lived out of the area. The candidate claimed that our hiring practices were discriminatory (the candidate happened to be a person of color and we hired another person of color but they were of a different ethnic group than the candidate) but really what it came down to were several questions asked in the interview about relocation. The candidate happened to speak about his roots in a "bad" neighborhood, and his experiences as a person of color. He claimed that because he came from that area, we chose to hire someone local because basically we were scared.

He won his case. Yes, he picked a protected class to dispute the issue, but that wasn't really the issue. Employers need to be super careful about asking things that are not job related.
So it wasn't the fact that he had his address listed on the resume, rather it was the fact that the interviewer didn't know what they were doing.

But I mean if the company has no intention of hiring non-local candidates, why would they want to begin the expensive hiring process with the candidates without first knowing their location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 08:26 AM

799 posts, read 1,550,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
So it wasn't the fact that he had his address listed on the resume, rather it was the fact that the interviewer didn't know what they were doing.

But I mean if the company has no intention of hiring non-local candidates, why would they want to begin the expensive hiring process with the candidates without first knowing their location?

Yes. They had no clue. But now we don't take resumes with pics, addresses, etc. Only name and phone or email. And we have structured questions during the interviews. And panels. And HR sits in.

Someone else on this thread said that there were illegal questions being asked of the OP and other posters picked it apart. I have to say that anyone can pick a protected class and hide behind it if they are pissed enough that they didn't get a job. Our legal counsel has flagged a whole slew of questions as "illegal" that I don't think technically are, but they do that to keep managers honest and looking for job related criteria. Where you live is one of those questions.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:31 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,678,460 times
oh also, going back to the "use a fake local address" advice - if you're doing this, make sure any social media accounts you have match! most employers WILL google you these days and look at your linkedin, as well as facebook, twitter, and anything else they can find.

also, as someone mentioned to me in a dm, i'm not sure what you're going to do if you pretend to be local and you get the job (how fast can you really move?), but hey. lie away if you really think it's gonna help. i prefer to be honest in this situation. my applications are obviously not being automatically screened out for being non-local, because i've been getting plenty of interviews.

Last edited by groar; 05-25-2013 at 08:43 AM..

Old 05-25-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Yes. They had no clue. But now we don't take resumes with pics, addresses, etc. Only name and phone or email. And we have structured questions during the interviews. And panels. And HR sits in.

Someone else on this thread said that there were illegal questions being asked of the OP and other posters picked it apart. I have to say that anyone can pick a protected class and hide behind it if they are pissed enough that they didn't get a job. Our legal counsel has flagged a whole slew of questions as "illegal" that I don't think technically are, but they do that to keep managers honest and looking for job related criteria. Where you live is one of those questions.
The thing is, for what happened with your company, there are tons of other companies that haven't faced the same issue. As other posters have said, adding your address to your resume is a standard practice.

So something is/was flawed about the way your company handled the process.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:34 AM

Check this out-- it addresses this issue.

30 Interview Questions You Can't Ask and 30 Sneaky, Legal Alternatives to Get the Same Info - HR World

Old 05-25-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
The thing is, for what happened with your companies, there are tons of other companies that haven't faced the same issue. As other posters have said, adding your address to your resume is a standard practice.

So something is/was flawed about the way your company handled the process.

We just got sued and the applicant won. Lots of companies get sued and change their practices as a result.

If I were the OP I would submit a resume without an address and see what happened. Do email and phone and maybe a local PO Box if you want to go that far. If someone asks say you are "in the process of relocating and will be done in x weeks." That gives the company a heads up on why you might need more time. Then if the interview goes well, you can start looking for a rental.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
We just got sued and the applicant won. Lots of companies get sued and change their practices as a result.
you didn't answer my question; do you mention in your job postings that address should not be included? this is so non-standard that you're eliminating huge swaths of potential candidates for no good reason if you're not giving them a heads up.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
you didn't answer my question; do you mention in your job postings that address should not be included? this is so non-standard that you're eliminating huge swaths of potential candidates for no good reason if you're not giving them a heads up.

Oh I missed that. Yes, of course we do. In fact, when I applied for the job I have now, I had to re-submit my resume because I got an automated response saying they did not accept resumes with addresses.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:

If I were the OP I would submit a resume without an address and see what happened. Do email and phone and maybe a local PO Box if you want to go that far. If someone asks say you are "in the process of relocating and will be done in x weeks." That gives the company a heads up on why you might need more time. Then if the interview goes well, you can start looking for a rental.
And also, how do you find out where these employees live prior to beginning the hiring process with them?

Why wouldn't that be of importance (for several other reasons, such as attendance problems, the fact that the person may not be able to relocate and will leave you hanging, etc.)?

Old 05-25-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Oh I missed that. Yes, of course we do. In fact, when I applied for the job I have now, I had to re-submit my resume because I got an automated response saying they did not accept resumes with addresses.
oh ok, well that's fair enough. weird, but fair. especially if you get a chance to resubmit if you do include an address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment