Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 07:22 PM

472 posts, read 570,828 times

Advertisements

They want to know, for their own security and rightly so, that you know what you are doing and won't change your mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 08:45 PM

548 posts, read 1,217,808 times
Why do you want to move to the South? Can you articulate those reasons convincingly? If not, that is likely what is giving your interviewers second thoughts.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:54 PM

548 posts, read 1,217,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Sorry, I do employment law. Questions about kids most certainly are illegal. I have won cases against employers for this.

Job Interview Questions That Are Illegal
Based on this post, I really doubt you are an employment attorney (you don't even claim that you are, but imply it). Most attorneys don't give out such incorrect information (being a parent is not a protected classification federally, and I am not aware of any states that make parents a protected class either), or give legal advice on these types of forums (you are opening yourself up to liability), or cite to about.com to support your position.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:01 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,678,460 times
from eeoc.gov. it says exactly what i've been saying. the only questions that are illegal to ask are about disability. everything else is legal but inadvisable.

i actually didn't know that parents weren't a protected class - they are when it comes to housing, but not employment. thanks for that info, albuquerque!

Quote:
As a general rule, the information obtained and requested through the pre-employment process should be limited to those essential for determining if a person is qualified for the job; whereas, information regarding race, sex, national origin, age, and religion are irrelevant in such determinations.

Employers are explicitly prohibited from making pre-employment inquiries about disability.

Although state and federal equal opportunity laws do not clearly forbid employers from making pre-employment inquiries that relate to, or disproportionately screen out members based on race, color, sex, national origin, religion, or age, such inquiries may be used as evidence of an employer's intent to discriminate unless the questions asked can be justified by some business purpose.

Therefore, inquiries about organizations, clubs, societies, and lodges of which an applicant may be a member or any other questions, which may indicate the applicant's race, sex, national origin, disability status, age, religion, color or ancestry if answered, should generally be avoided.
Prohibited Practices

Old 05-23-2013, 11:16 AM

400 posts, read 1,509,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
Please reread my messages to the OP above. I gave more than one option for advice...

Having moved several times for professional/ corporate jobs throughout my career I feel more than qualified in this topic. I have done just what you advised and provided my address at the time and got jobs in other states and got the full relocation package and such...

However, there has also been an instance where I was moving to a particular city no matter what. In this case I like the OP wasnt having any luck with the employers in that city. I used a local address and phone number and things changed. Responses, reactions changed. I got a job and yes I had to fly out to that city on my own dime with a weeks notice but so what, I was getting interviews and got a job.

Many employers discriminate against out of towners so if someone can just use a local address and phone number to get the dream job there is no problem with that.

In regards to requesting more time - he can get coorporate housing, stay at an extended stay or simply say he needs a month....

Good luck to the OP.

Either way he/ she will eventually find something but like I originally suggested in my messages above he can
1. do like most people and use a local address/ phone number if he she knows that he she is definitely moving to that particularly city
2. use his her current address as ive done before....
3. if he she needs/ relocation assistance, travel reimbursement for interviewing he she would not use the local address option....
Seeking employment out of state

Chances of getting an out-of-state job in this economy?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ting-when.html

Looking for jobs out of state...?

a few similar threads with great advice

Old 05-23-2013, 12:13 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,940,392 times
Thank you, everyone, for all of your advice. Some great points were made and I appreciate it. To address a few things:

1. I used my current address on my resume because I was hoping to avoid employers who only want local candidates. I just wanted to be honest up front. I would love to just pick up and move, but that's just not possible.

2. We want to move South for many reasons: slower pace of life, waaayyyy more affordable (even with lower salary), and weather. Also, we are both extremely bored with our jobs and want to move on. Our reasons are extremely compelling to us, but I'm not sure if the employer would agree.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:33 PM

i think you can spin the "bored with my job" angle to be a positive. saying that you're looking for more of a challenge (stressing that you took initiative at your current job to do more challenging things but it wasn't enough) is something that is appealing to employers.

and saying you really love the area is not a bad thing to say. especially if you are very familiar with it and have spent a lot of time there already. people like to hear you say nice things about where they live even if there's no real professional advantage to it.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:30 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,854,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque101 View Post
Based on this post, I really doubt you are an employment attorney (you don't even claim that you are, but imply it). Most attorneys don't give out such incorrect information (being a parent is not a protected classification federally, and I am not aware of any states that make parents a protected class either), or give legal advice on these types of forums (you are opening yourself up to liability), or cite to about.com to support your position.

Don't be absurd.

Look it up on the EEOC's website. Parenting is not a protected class, however being asked about being a parent, when it has NO BASIS on the job you are applying for, is illegal in federal employment. In private sector employment many small companies do not comply with the letter of the law (or get sued as often as the government) so they may skirt the issue, so much so that you or anyone else who is applying to a mom and pop company, don't even know their rights. As far as my reference goes, it was the first one that popped up in this infernally crappy phone I am about to replace.

I have no interest in arguing with you. That is not the point of this thread. Believe what you want. A few years ago I interviewed for a job with a big consulting company in the private sector and the manager asked me if I was likely to "want to have a baby" because that meant that I would be away from work for an extended period. I actually won a cash settlement as the other person on the interview panel was a witness who had also been made uncomfortable by the question and testified for me. Years ago, I argued (and won) a case in front of the Merit Systems Protections Board ( a federal entity) when it was revealed that interviews within a very large organization routinely used the question "tell me about whether or not you will need extra time off from work if your child care falls through. " This was asked to female applicants, and was well documented. So it does happen.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:34 PM

those are both examples of questions that were clearly being asked in order to discriminate. and it's against women, not against parents, incidentally.

regardless, that does not make the QUESTIONS illegal, only the intent to discriminate.

see my post above, the EEOC website is perfectly clear that the only questions that are illegal are ones about disability. the other ones are just a bad, bad idea to ask, because they can be used as evidence of discrimination.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:37 PM

oh and here is the EEOC on caregiving. again, the issue is gender, not family status.

Enforcement Guidance: Unlawful Disparate Treatment of Workers with Caregiving Responsibilities

Quote:
Although the federal EEO laws do not prohibit discrimination against caregivers per se, there are circumstances in which discrimination against caregivers might constitute unlawful disparate treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment