Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 07:46 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,940,392 times

Advertisements

How do you reassure future employers that you will actually relocate? It has come down to me and a local candidate and the employer has picked the local--twice. They even tell me that I'm a better fit and they'd hire me--if I were local. Ugghhh. I seem to interview very well, have the experience and the skill-set, great rapport, etc. I also don't hide that I'm out of state with fake mail boxes or cell numbers or anything. During the interview process, I'm often asked things like....am I sure I want to relocate? Do I have kids and how will they react (didn't think this one was legal, but I do try to reassure the interviewer)? Do I have family in the area? Will I pay my own way? (yes, I will). Do I realize that the pay is lower since I'm moving from the DC area to the South? (yeah, I do) I mean, seriously, how much reassurance do they need?

I am committed to moving, but I can't do it without having a job lined up.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, do you have any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 07:57 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times
Maybe tell them you are looking to start fresh in a new city, and want to move away from the DC area anyways, and just need something to pull you there?

Old 05-21-2013, 08:16 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Why did you tell them where you live? It's not relevant to the interview.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:37 PM

349 posts, read 274,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

Wouldn't it be pretty obvious based on his previous job?

Old 05-21-2013, 08:59 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Understand that we have been burnt many times in the past. We are skeptical because of the many who we did accept their reassurance but ended up holding an empty promise. So, you have to not overcome the normal distant candidate issues, but also the past history of those who messed it up for you.

Try this, make sure you know just about everything you need to know about the area including schools, traffic and shopping. When asked questions about your commitment, you need to response as you are, but also throw in how the kids appear to like ABC school, and the family as a whole likes the area. Make it appear they have also came on their own to look. You need them to see you as having one leg already there. If you are there in the new place and in person, make mention of the house hunting and lay a bit of BS along the lines of a possible other job interview or connections.

If you are doing all this long distance via telephone or internet, you’re already behind the eight ball as the other person is a living breathing body in front of them. You may have to figure a way to get that face to face to improve your chances.

Face to face in-person signals a commitment that just doesn’t come across via Skype or a speakerphone.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:03 PM

23,544 posts, read 24,041,250 times
Tell them that you need an offer and once you have one, you will relocate.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:20 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,678,460 times
well, i haven't had a job offer yet, but i have a plan to move quickly in place (places to stay lined up so i can give 2 weeks at my current job and move immediately), and i explain that to the interviewer if they ask (or even if they don't ask, if i have the opportunity to).

i'm also moving to be closer to my family, so that gives me a bit of an edge and makes me look more committed. but of course you can't change your reasons for moving (and i wouldn't recommend lying about them!)

Old 05-22-2013, 06:05 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,292,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Understand that we have been burnt many times in the past. We are skeptical because of the many who we did accept their reassurance but ended up holding an empty promise. So, you have to not overcome the normal distant candidate issues, but also the past history of those who messed it up for you.

Try this, make sure you know just about everything you need to know about the area including schools, traffic and shopping. When asked questions about your commitment, you need to response as you are, but also throw in how the kids appear to like ABC school, and the family as a whole likes the area. Make it appear they have also came on their own to look. You need them to see you as having one leg already there. If you are there in the new place and in person, make mention of the house hunting and lay a bit of BS along the lines of a possible other job interview or connections.

If you are doing all this long distance via telephone or internet, you’re already behind the eight ball as the other person is a living breathing body in front of them. You may have to figure a way to get that face to face to improve your chances.

Face to face in-person signals a commitment that just doesn’t come across via Skype or a speakerphone.
^ This. In essence, you're dealing with another's baggage. As Rabrrita indicated, most likely they've heard it all in the past and still had people accept but not commit. So when it comes down to it, its simply a risk they don't feel they need to take. This doesn't answer your question of 'well, how DO YOU overcome that?'. I think the the answer will differ from organization to organization. That said - you still got to the interview, so they must still be somewhat open to non-local applicants.

If you are at that point where you are being told the only 'knock' against you is your residence, perhaps you can just take the direct route and ask them what you can do to reassure them?

Old 05-22-2013, 06:14 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,360,127 times
If you want to avoid the potential for this happening in the future, flip it around: don't say "I will relocate for this job." Say something like "I'm relocating to [city] and seeking employment..." Don't make your relocation contingent on getting the job when applying. If you decide later that you don't want to move, it's not cost efficient, you don't have enough time before the start date etc., then turn down the offer but present your move to the location as a fact, not something dependent on them hiring you.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:14 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
So if you read a candidate's resume and didn't see their location on it, you wouldnt ask them where they live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment