Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 06:18 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,671,598 times

Advertisements

putting your address on your resume is totally standard and it would be weird to leave it off! and pretty much every online application requires an address.

some people suggest using a local address (someone you know's house or a PO box or whatever), but that doesn't help if you are currently working in the area where you live.

i dunno. i just tell the truth and i get tons of interviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 08:04 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,558,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
So if you read a candidate's resume and didn't see their location on it, you wouldnt ask them where they live?

I wouldn't because it's not a relevant question.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:21 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,671,598 times
obviously many (i would say most) employers do find a potential employee's current location to be relevant. hence the totally standard convention of putting your address on your resume and asking for it in applications.

especially since many people just mass-apply to jobs and don't even notice when they are applying to one that is a significant distance from them. ask any hiring manager and they will have a story about a non-local applicant who they called for an interview, only to find out that the applicant had no idea that the job was so far away. a friend of mine got more than one applicant like that from just one job posting.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:28 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
putting your address on your resume is totally standard and it would be weird to leave it off! and pretty much every online application requires an address.

some people suggest using a local address (someone you know's house or a PO box or whatever), but that doesn't help if you are currently working in the area where you live.

i dunno. i just tell the truth and i get tons of interviews.
Agreed.

Logic would dictate that you would want to know where an employee lives early on in the process, that way you can easily rule them out if they live too far before getting into the more expensive/time consuming part of the hiring process.

In fact, I bet those god awful Taleo systems can be set by employers to filter the applications they want to receive by location.

But what do I know?I'm just a lowly rank and file employee from Detroit, not some HR guru.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:59 AM

400 posts, read 1,508,746 times
This is why others claim to be already local. You shot yourself in the foot. If you are gunhoe on moving to a particular city you should do what others have done and that is come up with a local address. People do this to avoid the rejections that you have gotten. Having a local address would alleviate the problem that your facing especially if you are willing to come out of pocket for interviewing and relocation expense.

If you are not exclusively interviewing for a specific city then just keep doing what you are doing. I and many others have gotten offers for out of state, out of country opportunities using a non local address.

When the topic of relocation comes up in your interviews you need to be beyond confident and let the employer know that you are familiar with the city, you have close friends or family there, your spouse is on bored, you have nothing holding you back in your current city.... Also be willing to state that you can come on board immediately (w/i 2 weeks) and housing problems are not a concern

Really HR is probably more concerned then the HM. Thats who you should focus your efforts on. HR is the true culprit in killing deals many time over trivial matters....

Good luck.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:02 AM

400 posts, read 1,508,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poweramplifyingionairline View Post
Wouldn't it be pretty obvious based on his previous job?
if he/ she is willing to pay for their own relocation and interviewing expense no it shouldnt be relevant. he/ she should get a local address and phone number and can remove the city state for each employer - just leave company name (description), dates and title...

Old 05-22-2013, 10:08 AM

328 posts, read 616,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
If you want to avoid the potential for this happening in the future, flip it around: don't say "I will relocate for this job." Say something like "I'm relocating to [city] and seeking employment..." Don't make your relocation contingent on getting the job when applying. If you decide later that you don't want to move, it's not cost efficient, you don't have enough time before the start date etc., then turn down the offer but present your move to the location as a fact, not something dependent on them hiring you.
This is great advice. I applied for DC jobs while still in Boston, and it wasn't until I started using this slight distinction that people started to take me more seriously.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:54 AM

156 posts, read 318,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Understand that we have been burnt many times in the past. We are skeptical because of the many who we did accept their reassurance but ended up holding an empty promise. So, you have to not overcome the normal distant candidate issues, but also the past history of those who messed it up for you.

Try this, make sure you know just about everything you need to know about the area including schools, traffic and shopping. When asked questions about your commitment, you need to response as you are, but also throw in how the kids appear to like ABC school, and the family as a whole likes the area. Make it appear they have also came on their own to look. You need them to see you as having one leg already there. If you are there in the new place and in person, make mention of the house hunting and lay a bit of BS along the lines of a possible other job interview or connections.

If you are doing all this long distance via telephone or internet, you’re already behind the eight ball as the other person is a living breathing body in front of them. You may have to figure a way to get that face to face to improve your chances.

Face to face in-person signals a commitment that just doesn’t come across via Skype or a speakerphone.
I bet the unemployed are getting sick and tired of hearing this too.

There's simply no way to win these days. The so called "employment experts" on here bash the unemployed for being unable/not willing to move for a job. but then you have posts like this which proceed to tell us that even if someone is willing to move, they won't hire anyone living out of the area. For me personally, I'm not going to move without a job lined up. It's expensive to move in the first place, and even if you have thousands of dollars saved up, it could take months, if not longer, to find a job. I guess in the end, anyone who's unemployed living in a depressed area is screwed because of the mentality of people like the above.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:13 AM

349 posts, read 274,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
if he/ she is willing to pay for their own relocation and interviewing expense no it shouldnt be relevant. he/ she should get a local address and phone number and can remove the city state for each employer - just leave company name (description), dates and title...

So when the employer calls the reference, he/she could just ask where they are located.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:23 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,122,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
How do you reassure future employers that you will actually relocate?

I am committed to moving, but I can't do it without having a job lined up.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, do you have any advice?
By telling them you can start in two weeks just like the local candidate can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment