Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2013, 04:04 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,401,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Seems to be some serious online bullying toward one person here. Do you folks realize what you are doing? Seems like more and more people are taking jabs. Don't bully, even if you see others doing it.
Please read the whole conversation.

Multiple people are making constructive suggestions to be met with the same whining. That's not bullying.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:12 PM

827 posts, read 1,090,185 times
Why don't you post your resume Parried?

Old 09-18-2013, 04:13 PM

827 posts, read 1,090,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
6.4 for my city. Whole state is about 7.2%
Really? Have you read ANY of his posts over the years? He's on different names with the same schtick. Many posters have given him good advice, yet he keeps posting the same thing over and over.

He's not being bullied. People are just tired of his whiny crap.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:37 PM

361 posts, read 922,547 times
Lol, Parried seriously now - I live like an hour away from you. I've got in-laws in Plaistow that I have to visit this weekend. If you want I will seriously meet you at a D&D or something and try to get things rolling. I had at least two businesses within an hour from you that offered me an apprenticeship recently. Maybe we can see what can be done. PM me if you're interested because I'm serious....

Old 09-18-2013, 07:47 PM

361 posts, read 922,547 times
Quote:
Seems to be some serious online bullying toward one person here. Do you folks realize what you are doing? Seems like more and more people are taking jabs. Don't bully, even if you see others doing it.
I can't imagine how far gone one would have to be to say this

Old 09-18-2013, 09:43 PM

29,832 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
So who pays for your stuff? How do you survive?

Where do you live? In a small town with minimal opportunity? Is going to a tech school or something out of the question?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Food stamps, SSDI, Obama, so there is really no motivation for the poster to change their situation. We are paying for their hours of CD whining and complaining. And this is the thanks we get

Quote:
One quarter of the work and employment forum has been devoted to helping this poster change their fortune. Another quarter has been the poster making a wide variety of excuses for their poor results. At this point, the poster really requires a subforum for all their whining.

Either this poster is a troll or they have some serious issues.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:45 PM

720 posts, read 766,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughbay View Post
Lol, Parried seriously now - I live like an hour away from you. I've got in-laws in Plaistow that I have to visit this weekend. If you want I will seriously meet you at a D&D or something and try to get things rolling. I had at least two businesses within an hour from you that offered me an apprenticeship recently. Maybe we can see what can be done. PM me if you're interested because I'm serious....
I hope he messages you, because my heart goes out to him. Hopelessness, pessimism and depression eat at the soul and are nearly impossible to shake without some real help. Parried please take Hughbay up up on his offer, this could be the break you need.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:49 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
What one has to realize, is that middle size and large companies are now using COMPUTER EVALUATION OF APPLICATIONS. They have applicants apply by the Internet, or on computers at their offices. The computers weed out all but the choice applicants. If they have 100 applications, only 5 or 10 may pass the computer and be set up for a phone interview, which if passed can lead to a personal interview.

I know how this works, as my daughter is the head of IT for the main office of an international large company (thousands of employees). She has set this up for her company, and is used exclusively. HR loves it. It allows them to sift out the best applicants, and saves thousands of hours of HR decision making per year. The problem in the past, has been for HR to go through often hundreds of applications for a position. This can be for someone in the factory, warehouse, machine shop, to office worker. They thoroughly tested it, and have found that the computer can actually do a better job of sorting the best applicants from the rest than humans can. Humans get tired looking at application after application and eliminating most of them. Humans make mistakes. The computers using the guidelines set up by the department needing employees, can sort without error.

The chance of getting one of the open jobs, is how well you fill out the application, so that it fits the company needs. A lot of people think that general resume fits every company. They send out the same resume and fill out applications the same, no matter what the company and no matter what the job is. They are wrong. Today you had better have a resume aimed for a particular company and a particular job. You had better fill out an application better than anyone else, specific for a particular job. Computers are programmed for applicants to fill a particular job, not general applicants.

The large percentage of people that have a hard time getting an interview and hired, do not make a good resume that fits that job, and do a poor job on the application. I know from first hand experience as years ago working for a large international corporation, I reviewed thousands of applications, and interviewed thousands of people. We did it the hard way back then, and would have loved to have had the modern tools such as computers to assist us. If you are not making separate resumes for each application, and doing a good job on the application, you will not be hired for a good job. Those two things are your foot in the door, or having the door slammed in your face.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:02 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,750,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
What one has to realize, is that middle size and large companies are now using COMPUTER EVALUATION OF APPLICATIONS. They have applicants apply by the Internet, or on computers at their offices. The computers weed out all but the choice applicants. If they have 100 applications, only 5 or 10 may pass the computer and be set up for a phone interview, which if passed can lead to a personal interview.

I know how this works, as my daughter is the head of IT for the main office of an international large company (thousands of employees). She has set this up for her company, and is used exclusively. HR loves it. It allows them to sift out the best applicants, and saves thousands of hours of HR decision making per year. The problem in the past, has been for HR to go through often hundreds of applications for a position. This can be for someone in the factory, warehouse, machine shop, to office worker. They thoroughly tested it, and have found that the computer can actually do a better job of sorting the best applicants from the rest than humans can. Humans get tired looking at application after application and eliminating most of them. Humans make mistakes. The computers using the guidelines set up by the department needing employees, can sort without error.

The chance of getting one of the open jobs, is how well you fill out the application, so that it fits the company needs. A lot of people think that general resume fits every company. They send out the same resume and fill out applications the same, no matter what the company and no matter what the job is. They are wrong. Today you had better have a resume aimed for a particular company and a particular job. You had better fill out an application better than anyone else, specific for a particular job. Computers are programmed for applicants to fill a particular job, not general applicants.

The large percentage of people that have a hard time getting an interview and hired, do not make a good resume that fits that job, and do a poor job on the application. I know from first hand experience as years ago working for a large international corporation, I reviewed thousands of applications, and interviewed thousands of people. We did it the hard way back then, and would have loved to have had the modern tools such as computers to assist us. If you are not making separate resumes for each application, and doing a good job on the application, you will not be hired for a good job. Those two things are your foot in the door, or having the door slammed in your face.
You are right large corporations have instituted these programs to sift through the resume's, however there are plenty of small and mid size companies that do not use those programs, instead they use actual human resources staffers or managers to sift through the resumes and make the decisions based on their personal wants.

It used to be well understood that corporate companies wanted the best and brightest proven talent, and that is why they gave the better salaries and benefits, now it seems people refuse to even look at small companies to start their career, where they may not get the best salaries and benefits, but they get the much needed experience and can add to their resume to get past the resume selection process.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:20 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Please read the whole conversation.

Multiple people are making constructive suggestions to be met with the same whining. That's not bullying.

I read all the posts. It IS bullying. You just think it's justifiable, as most bullying does have some truth behind the reason for bullying (e.g. the fat kid IS fat and eats 3 hamburgers for lunch, and it's not a lie, but it doesn't mean it's not bullying when you make personal attacks about it).

So ok, this person being bullied in this thread maybe is not as motivated as others might be in the job search area. Just because this might the true, it doesn't mean you can personally attack (name call, jab) this person and have it not be considered bullying. It IS online bullying.

The constructive suggestions aren't bullying. But the name calling and personal jabs are. There are plenty of them in this thread and they got worse toward the end. Seems different posters started seeing others jabbing, so they decide to make a jab. That's another common thing...others start doing it so it seems ok to join in. I doubt some of the individuals would have said anything if they didn't see the other jabs first. Makes it seem legit, I suppose.

Everyone, just think before you post and have some respect and don't name call and make personal jabs.

Last edited by sware2cod; 09-19-2013 at 09:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment