Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2013, 11:06 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,413,943 times

Advertisements

It's a fruitless, passive aggresive method of looking for a job and it's a clever tool being used. We've made getting work in this country more difficult then it is to actually do the job, as crazy as it sounds. Employers are looking for every reason they can to not hire someone, but why would they do such a thing, if they claim they are hiring and in need of workers? How could any business say they are hiring and then look for every reason not to hire someone. I just don't understand it, in such a country like this.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:06 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,407,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
The only thing I use the library for is when I need to print something. I'm assuming (according to you) it's my fault companies make people apply online rather then in person too right?
The library also has books. Books can be used for studying for tests. Try it.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:05 PM

101 posts, read 174,063 times
Hmmm...I got my current job from applying online *and* I knew nobody in the company when I applied.

The job was an unpaid internship that I found on a job board in my industry. I took it despite being out of college for two years because I was laid off and wasn't doing anything anyway, so it was a good chance to get experience in the field I went to school for.

Three years later, I'm still there. I've been given two raises and a promotion. I got my promotion mostly by working hard and listening to feedback yes, but also by letting my manager know I was interested and keeping him on top of my goals. After some time, he said my name was on the radar and I even got promoted ahead of when I was expecting it. Applying online does work, but you have to have the right qualifications (and no it's not all keyword-based either; I had to show two writing samples to get my internship) and the initiative to likely start at the bottom.

Since you obviously have not much interest in doing anything besides sitting on the Internet and whining, good luck. I doubt I'd be where I am if I spent the first three-four months of being laid off from my job (albeit, a crappy survival one that I don't use on my resume these days) sitting around doing nothing.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:20 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,685,458 times
Quote:
It's a fruitless, passive aggresive method of looking for a job and it's a clever tool being used. We've made getting work in this country more difficult then it is to actually do the job, as crazy as it sounds. Employers are looking for every reason they can to not hire someone, but why would they do such a thing, if they claim they are hiring and in need of workers? How could any business say they are hiring and then look for every reason not to hire someone. I just don't understand it, in such a country like this.
Yes, it is tough out there, but staying on the internet and whining isn't going to help. I won't deny that things are not tough. I think that pursuing jobs like the OP mentions might be a better option for you and lead to more job satisfaction than working at McDonald's just saying. Working at McDonald's would suck. If I were you, I would much rather pursue a trade or apprenticeship than work at Burger King the rest of my life. Stop crying about the rejection letter from that dishwashing job and do something better with your life.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:23 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,529,519 times

Old 09-18-2013, 12:33 PM

3,988 posts, read 5,025,502 times
On the subject of GED:

Last year, my boss hired a woman with NO GED or HS diploma. I don't know what he was thinking but he clearly missed that part on her resume. She had some experience in my field but only surface stuff...now the whys of her employment were unclear to me but this is what happened. During her stay here, she got her GED and then started college courses. Some of those courses were geared to properly learning how to study and some of the basics. Even though I thought she was an argumentative person and a little snotty, that did not stop me from admiring her. Holy cripes, she got a really good job then had the wherewithall to finalize her HS education and start on higher education.

Unfortunately for her, her mouth lost her this job and is now selling Avon but I still admire her "go get it" attitude...even with selling Avon. It's not easy selling makeup, I don't care who you are! Anyway, if you apply to a job and have a GED, I don't think it's as much of a hindrance as you believe it to be. Some of our biggest insecurities about ourselves end up not being an issue at all in many cases.

Also, unemployment (at least in Texas two or so years ago) offered several different paths of education to prepare you for the next hottest job...yes, it was going to cost some money although I never found out exactly how much...and that was medical coding. I see job openings all the time for that field so I thought whatever the expense, it might be worth it. As it turns out, I was able to get a job in my field and didn't have to retool myself to another career path, but they had some pretty good ideas. Just a thought to those who aren't willing or cabable of working a physically demanding apprenticeship (as in some of the examples here).

JMO...

Old 09-18-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Yes, it is tough out there, but staying on the internet and whining isn't going to help. I won't deny that things are not tough. I think that pursuing jobs like the OP mentions might be a better option for you and lead to more job satisfaction than working at McDonald's just saying. Working at McDonald's would suck. If I were you, I would much rather pursue a trade or apprenticeship than work at Burger King the rest of my life. Stop crying about the rejection letter from that dishwashing job and do something better with your life.
As I've said, it doesn't really matter what job I go for. I'm not getting called back for interviews, that's what matters the most.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:15 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,386,125 times
Quote:
As I've said, it doesn't really matter what job I go for. I'm not getting called back for interviews, that's what matters the most.
So who pays for your stuff? How do you survive?

Where do you live? In a small town with minimal opportunity? Is going to a tech school or something out of the question?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-18-2013, 01:44 PM

https://web.detma.org/JobQuest/

boston all jobs classifieds "haverhill" - craigslist

https://www.google.com/#q=haverhill+...mployment+rate

6.4% unemployment rate. 61,000 population.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:47 PM

361 posts, read 923,228 times
I can't imagine why you'd complain about online applications. You know how much time that saves you? You know how much GAS that saves you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment