Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2013, 08:27 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,411,237 times

Advertisements

Having just a GED IS hurting me. Do you expect me to lie to myself and tell myself it won't? Without a car my options are alot smaller. I actually have money for a car, I spent almost the whole summer looking for some kind of beater and couldn't find anything. It's hard up here in the northeast. Cars develop rust over time, and this can prevent them from passing state inspection. Because I'm a new driver, my insurance is going to be at least $150-$200 per month, no matter what car I get. I'm not picky about cars, although I'm avoiding larger vehicles and V8 engines because of gas prices. I'm also not quite ready yet to drive a truck. I came close to finding a car a few times, but there's alot of shady people out there who tell you there's nothing wrong with it and then you go look at it. The tires are bald, the shocks are worn out (car sinks), the tail lights are cracked, the odometer looks like it was rolled back, the battery is dead, the starter clinks, the engine is covered in oil, look underneath and you see drips (oil leak). And to top it all off, the guy "lost" the title.

So, I have to stay local. For now.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:28 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,401,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Having just a GED IS hurting me. Do you expect me to lie to myself and tell myself it won't? Without a car my options are alot smaller. I actually have money for a car, I spent almost the whole summer looking for some kind of beater and couldn't find anything. It's hard up here in the northeast. Cars develop rust over time, and this can prevent them from passing state inspection. Because I'm a new driver, my insurance is going to be at least $150-$200 per month, no matter what car I get. I'm not picky about cars, although I'm avoiding larger vehicles and V8 engines because of gas prices. I'm also not quite ready yet to drive a truck. I came close to finding a car a few times, but there's alot of shady people out there who tell you there's nothing wrong with it and then you go look at it. The tires are bald, the shocks are worn out (car sinks), the tail lights are cracked, the odometer looks like it was rolled back, the battery is dead, the starter clinks, the engine is covered in oil, look underneath and you see drips (oil leak). And to top it all off, the guy "lost" the title.

So, I have to stay local. For now.
No, it's not - not for the jobs you're looking at.

You are hurting yourself with all this garbage.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:31 PM

361 posts, read 922,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Sad part is that I could see this happening, unfortunately I am not all that good with my hands, but I know several people in skilled trades that are making more money then they ever have before while recent college grads are working part time low skill jobs complaining about a lack of jobs.
Keep in mind though that tradesman go to college as well - usually at night no less. Nothing like being the lowest on the totem pole all day, doing all the grunt work and then going into class from 6PM till 9PM at night - not sitting at a desk texting and checking Facebook "status" updates while the professor boarders on - but actually spending another three hours of hard work, using hand tools, and sweating while wiring a hot water heater.

Nah, the trade folks put in the grind to get their money. They deserve every cent they get.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:42 PM

When the grocery store has their pick of employees it does hurt me. You just aren't thinking realistically.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:46 PM

827 posts, read 1,090,185 times
Quote:
When the grocery store has their pick of employees it does hurt me. You just aren't thinking realistically.
Tough crap. Why should they pick you?

Old 09-17-2013, 09:26 PM

361 posts, read 922,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
No, it's not - not for the jobs you're looking at.

You are hurting yourself with all this garbage.
In all fairness though...there is an entire SYSTEM that champions supposed "victimhood" and self-entitlement. Is it really surprising that people like this person exist? Think about it (and I'm dead serious here), since kindergarten this person has been through an entire battalion of educators trained to degrade his/her sense of self worth and make him/her feel like less than excrement for having any unheigenic thoughts or impulses.

To be honest, that poster is a victim in a weird wat

Old 09-17-2013, 09:32 PM

29,833 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
The plumbing one in Billerica is the same one I posted. It says 3-5 years of experience. Go BACK to the drawing board.
It's not our job to find opportunities in life for you. Given the fact that the many hours Moderator cut: snip you've invested here have not paid off, one would question why you continue with the same approach. Many of us here started out in entry level opportunities. I'm not much older than you (26). Nobody handed me a job and experience. I had to work for it, and so should you.

As I've asked before... What happens if and when the economy improves, and your STILL here Moderator cut: snip about how cruel the bully business men are who aren't handing you a start in life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Wrong again. IBEW clearly states GED is totally acceptable. I know 3 people off the top of my head that went that route.

That right there is where you need an attitude adjustment.
Every job I have seen states HS diploma or GED. Some even say HS diploma/GED preferred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughbay View Post
Keep in mind though that tradesman go to college as well - usually at night no less. Nothing like being the lowest on the totem pole all day, doing all the grunt work and then going into class from 6PM till 9PM at night - not sitting at a desk texting and checking Facebook "status" updates while the professor boarders on - but actually spending another three hours of hard work, using hand tools, and sweating while wiring a hot water heater.

Nah, the trade folks put in the grind to get their money. They deserve every cent they get.
That's how it is in the union, but they are usually paid better. I started out pushing steel 8 hours a day and spent a couple hours every other day, or 4 days a week during some points in the classroom. Better deal than college in many ways. No fluff classes and the education was free.

After I got laid off from Delphi (union shop) I worked for non union shops where everything was learned on the job. The difference was they didn't waste their time teaching people who didn't want to learn. And if you couldn't learn something quick, tough luck.

There's also tons of resources online where you can learn. That's how I got into programming. Tons of tutorials and online classes. Very easy and convenient to learn, but you should have access to a work environment to tie everything together. That's why classrooms alone are not enough in the trades.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 09-18-2013 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: removed pejorative terms

Old 09-17-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargamer6 View Post
It's hopeless, EzPeterson. He's not going to follow through on anything. That intern deal in Oct he was talking about last month was probably fake too.
I never said anything about an intern. It's a course for CNC. Next one isn't till spring time and it's not fake.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:39 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,401,190 times
Quote:
No. You are not thinking realistically. You're thinking that they even look at that box on your application.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:45 PM

So why do I never get a call after submitting the app then? I'll work any hours, any shifts, any days. Most of the time I'm stuck with the online crap. Since you claim to have all the answers, answer that. Can't can ya?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment