Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 07:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times

Advertisements

No, in fact I left and moved to another state when I realized that it would be 6-8 years before I could get another promotion. That was only due to the ages of those above me, not my boss, though he was a jerk. The only way to get ahead is to keep being promoted. The 1-3% annual raises they give now are not really much help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 07:36 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,324,502 times
Yeah...I guess I will have to look elsewhere. I hate job hunting and it's not easy when you have a job. I also have an 8 month old aND I'd like another baby soon. If I could do it all over again I'd be a nurse. Good pay plus different shifts to choose from.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:36 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
If my current employer was a good place to work sure...............to your point I never want to manage so I am happy with a senior sales role or transitioning to sales engineer.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:40 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Sure, I have had a lot of jobs in my life where I knew that the job I was hired on for was where I was going to stay forever. Not all a bad thing IMO. For example, I was once a Credit Manager for an industrial company and knew that I was never going to move beyond that position (nowhere else to go, I managed that department). My "moving up the ladder" were my bonuses and raises each year for a job well done.

In my current position I have been offered additional moves up the ladder, but turn them down each time offered. At my age I really am very happy with where I am and don't want additional responsibilities.

Don

Old 01-26-2015, 06:18 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Yeah...I guess I will have to look elsewhere. I hate job hunting and it's not easy when you have a job. I also have an 8 month old aND I'd like another baby soon. If I could do it all over again I'd be a nurse. Good pay plus different shifts to choose from.
IF you get a promotion, how many hours a week will it add to your time away from home and your baby?
Will it be worth it to earn enough money to pay someone else to raise your child(ren)?
Will it make you better in the eyes of your peers who seem to be moving up while you stagnate? It does sound as though you feel diminished in the opinion of others because you don't seem to be going anywhere.

I was always satisfied to keep a low profile and collect my paycheck when my kids were growing up. If I took the occasional day off because of a school closure, or a sick child, nobody expected more of me. When they were all grown sufficiently that I didn't need to do those things, I "began my career". I was promoted in every job I had after that and retired from a supervisory position.

My only regret? Being a single Mom and having to work. I'd much rather have stayed home and been the Mom I never had.

Weigh the pros against the cons and decide if the increased work-place satisfaction is as important as having another baby soon.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:23 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
I once interviewed with a lady that stated "Im not staying at a job where I am not happy " and I thought that is so very true , life is too short to be unhappy all the time . She was a nice lady and she hired me right off the bat cause she said wow I really think you are just what we are looking for . I was there for 5 yrs and the boss passed away and the wife closed the business down . all of us were crying like babies the last day .So my advice OP is look for something else while you are still working there and when asked why you are leaving just answer unhappy .

Old 01-26-2015, 06:26 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
A promotion at my job gets you a salaried position. And with the amount of extra unpaid hours the salaried people work, it's more like a demotion. So pretty much my job is a dead end but the paycheck is steady and the hours suit me.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:46 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,031 times
Quote:
Would you stay or move on knowing that you might not end up at a company that's ad good as the one you're at now?
I'd move for the right opportunity, but I'd be in no rush to do it. Even if it takes you a year or two to find a better job, that's OK.

Quote:
Yeah...I guess I will have to look elsewhere. I hate job hunting and it's not easy when you have a job.
I can't disagree more. When you have a job, it's easier to find another job.

1. Your not under consent financial pressure to find another job, let's face it, unemployment doesn't pay anywhere near to what your earning while you have a job. At my last job, my income was $875 a week after taxes, medical and 401k, unemployment topped out at $624 Before taxes and I was also paying $1,200 a month for CORBA.

2. When you don't have a job, your bargaining position is a lot weaker. Companies will often throw out a low offer, figuring your financial position isn't good, your more likely to accept it than counter or move on.

3. You mental health is much better, face it earning a living gives you a sense of purpose, when you don't have a job, you feel like a failure.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:55 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I'd move for the right opportunity, but I'd be in no rush to do it. Even if it takes you a year or two to find a better job, that's OK.

I can't disagree more. When you have a job, it's easier to find another job.

1. Your not under consent financial pressure to find another job, let's face it, unemployment doesn't pay anywhere near to what your earning while you have a job. At my last job, my income was $875 a week after taxes, medical and 401k, unemployment topped out at $624 Before taxes and I was also paying $1,200 a month for CORBA.

2. When you don't have a job, your bargaining position is a lot weaker. Companies will often throw out a low offer, figuring your financial position isn't good, your more likely to accept it than counter or move on.

3. You mental health is much better, face it earning a living gives you a sense of purpose, when you don't have a job, you feel like a failure.

In my case it's not the work itself that gives me purpose, but the things I do off the clock which is funded by work. If I didn't have to spend so much of my time chasing a paycheck i would definitely do volunteering and peruse more of my interests. Some people are really fortunate to work in a field that they're really passionate and interested in. I am not one of those people so the main goal at the end is a paycheck.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:01 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,648,454 times
Quote:
Let's say you have a job you are for the most part satisfied with, the pay and benefits are good but you likely will never get promoted and you're not sure how your boss feels about you. Would you stay or move on knowing that you might not end up at a company that's ad good as the one you're at now?
Of course.

Most of my jobs have been like that (except I always, to the best of my ability, understood how my boss felt about me because I'd ask directly if I didn't know). I've never been ambitious, though. I've always done what pleased me and moved on when it became unpleasant for whatever reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment