Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 06:54 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,325,212 times

Advertisements

Well someone shouldn't expect an instant answer. It seems like there is this culture now where email has become lazy and impersonal. It's encouraged to go see someone face to face and ask them if possible. It's like this at work anyway. I really prefer to do it by email or chat. If it's somethint easy sure stop by my desk. If not email is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 06:57 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
It's this same woman who always manages to ask me a question by coming to my desk expecting an instant answer. Even after I told her to just send me a email when she has a question she still comes and ask me directly. Do you agree it's better to just send a email if you are looking for answers to a work related question? Now this doesn't apply to your supervisor but when it comes to a coworker they should not be coming to your desk. And anything that you are being asked is going to require some researching anyway so why not just send a email?

Agree or Disagree?
Why don't you tell her that you do not have time to answer her questions and refer her to her supervisor?
Send her an email.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:07 PM

1,548 posts, read 1,195,111 times
Perhaps people either don't respond to emails, or take forever to answer them, or won't give a direct answer. I know where I work, many people either ignore a question through email, or only give a partial answer, so then there's a lengthy back and forth that takes days which is frustrating and drastically slows up work progress. They also cc: and bcc: everyone they can think of, so now there are multiple replies bouncing around. Like heading cats. But that's the distrustful, CYA culture at this place. Work is done at a slow pace, and the result is often of mediocre quality.

Whether they like it or not, I usually will either pick up the phone and call or drop by to talk to them. I would also much prefer that they do the same with me if they have a question. I'd much rather answer the question right then, than have to type out a reply, especially if it's a complex answer.

This habit of attempting to document everything through email is annoying and makes for an overload of email to manage and keep track of. Occasionally, there is a need to document communication with certain people or for certain projects, but generally I'm not interested in a CYA mentality. If you don't know the answer when someone directly asks, then simply tell them you'll get back to them.

I find email a tedious form of work communication and try to keep it to a minimum.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:15 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,611,100 times
Some people like email because it allows them to organize their notes about a particular project, and keep up with the timeline progression. Sometimes they do it as reminders to themselves of projects that they need to stay on top of, and what was discussed. It can serve as a mnenomic device.

Also, there may be occasions where a person is wanting input from multiple people, but rather than having to schedule a meeting, it's easier to just send everyone the same information via email and let them respond at their convenience. That's even more true if there is some document that needs to be attached to the email. It just makes for a more effecient communication.

Yes, overusing email can be a CYA tactic, but the motive isn't always so sinister.

The ones that do annoy me, though, are people who use read receipts for everything, including completely non controversial issues.

You're sitting at your desk and all of a sudden it looks as if Susan Jones has sent you an email about "Cookies and veggie tray in the conference room."

Suddenly, a pop up message from Susan Jones in Marketing appears:"Susan Jones has requested a read receipt be sent when message "Cookies and veggie tray in conference room" Do you want to send a receipt?

Don't ask me about sending read receipts again.

____ Yes
____ No

The earth shattering email from Susan reads: "There are some cookies and a veggie tray in the conference room from a meeting earlier today. Please come help yourself."

Was getting the "proof" that someone has read the email that critical?

Last edited by Jowel; 12-15-2016 at 08:42 PM..

Old 12-15-2016, 08:20 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,295,718 times
I understand the preference for email.

-If it's something that requires time to answer, I want to fit it into my schedule, not stop what I am doing to answer.
-If it involves being given information, I want it on the computer. I don't want people giving me papers and cluttering my workspace. Keeping the papers organized just adds to the job.
-I also don't want someone to interrupt me and expect me to write down their questions or information. The coworker can put together the information and questions and send it to me in electronic format. No mess, no interruption.

If it's just a simple, quick question, that's different.

(Disclaimer: I don't actually have this kind of job.)

Old 12-15-2016, 08:26 PM

1,156 posts, read 942,039 times
What's the point of being in an office if you insist everyone contact you only through email? Just tell her you'll get back to her when you have time to look it up or whatever.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:40 PM

1,281 posts, read 776,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
What's the point of being in an office if you insist everyone contact you only through email? Just tell her you'll get back to her when you have time to look it up or whatever.
Well earlier this week I was trying to maintain my professionalism when she said she needed the documents at that moment. I was like...."excuse me?

The idiot never said it's for something our manager needs and just made it seem like it was her who wanted me to look for something.

The only person that should be questioning me at my desk is my supervisor

Old 12-15-2016, 11:49 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,460,552 times
It really depends on variables such as: scope / depth of question (is it the type of subject that is better expedited in face to face or could it be more readily completed (and non time sensitive) with an email?and the interrelationship as co-worker. Oft times in project management environments documenting the decision / dependency flow by correspondence is critical. In other environments it may not (like asking the admin to order more office supplies that are due for replenishment.

If said co worker comes by consistently asking things that could easily be found in another manner and asks as if I am subject matter expert on things I (for work purposes) am not - it would get annoying and I'd probably start wondering if they have an ulterior motive.

If said co-worker normally interacts with me and sits so close that coming by is more quick and efficient than sending a time consuming email I personally have no problem. If the questions are reflective of not understanding or having the presumed skills for said co-workers job it would become very annoying. These are the type of moves made by people either inept or incompetent for the job they have attained. Or the corporate skater types who've moved around a lot and gain no proficiency so depend heavily on others to do the work and then claim it for their accomplishment / achievement.

I have had some interesting conversations with a sibling in corporate environment who has been besieged by co-worker who is obviously inept and likely been promoted to top of peter principle echelon of corporate achievement and it is very telling when sibling relates the email communication machinations.

Now from working in variety of business type envrionments (large to small) I have noticed a slight generational element to the verbal face to face versus email only. The older generation in my work environment tend more to take opportunity to talk face to face when it makes most sense. Many of the younger employees tend to want everything in email form and discourage face to face communication, or simply have not enough work experience to discern when one or other is best for their responsibilities. Some even seem to be offended if you walk over to their cube / workspace to ask a simple question. I think there is a generational socialization normalization issue (in some cases).

If they only ask you in person and it is not due to socialization desire / needs, it may be to cover up lack of knowledge. Sometimes (as my siblings story relates) these types have no clue to think that other employees talk among themselves (or share email) and may soon realize the constant asker is simply inept.

On other end of spectrum you may be in an industry in which face to face is much more effective time management. Some things if you were to initially communicate in writing may take so much more time and effort to put down in writing where a short walk and discussion to clarify would resolve it.

The other thing I find humorous is the people who schedule meetings to talk about some things that could readily be discussed quickly - at times I think these people like feeling professional by filling up their calendar. Or the 'office political strategy meeting' about the meeting. (Note: This is analogous to corporate mass media guiding the narrative - but I digress)

So, it basically runs the gamut. I can't say one way or the other without knowing if a) both employees have an understanding of preferred type of communication (much like couples counseling compatibability love language / communication style) It may be the level of coworker rapport has not been met to optimize the communication style. If that's the case, a department type work session may be helpful or a simple formal "Face to Face" meeting to discuss preferred communication style?

The trick is not to be onerous if someone has a different style but rather to better understand their's and then have a dialogue about what manner is most effective toward achieving group goals under different scenarios. On the flip side, I have been in corporate organizations which, by their very nature, did not foster a working relationship amongst different departments, but rather a combative one for a variety of reasons; business metrics of departmental success or political infighting and positioning among department leaders, etc...).

As a predominantly subject matter expert type that is mid career I enjoy someone asking face to face when it is possible. It doesn't offend me and many times it (as someone else alluded to) alleviates extraneous correspondence back and forth to achieve understanding.

So it is a mixed bag. In general terms, my perception of someone who wants everything in email and shuns face to face likely is very "CYA", due to either being burned in the past, lack of social verbal communication skills, or simply compartmentalizes their 'social persona' in work place, prefers rigid linear type communication versus fluid or is relatively inexperienced and tends to ruminate over every step of activity until they feel more proficient in their role.

A person who always goes verbal face to face may be (in negative sense) a drama creator and provocateur in business environment. The political weasel to have denialability and playing off people against each other i.e. "I didn't say that", type responses with no document trail. Or, in the positive sense, is a soft skills people connector / enabler who uses such interactions selectively to build better rapport among co workers.

I see from the last comment this is type of person who implies immediacy without providing full context of a request (very annoying if it is her standard MO, but easily forgivable if inexperienced). Perhaps a sit down 'face to face' with her would help clarify for future situations?

Old 12-16-2016, 04:32 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
It really depends on the question. If someone is looking for an item, then it makes sense for them to come by and say "Do you have this file" or "Do you know where X papers are?" instead of emailing since that's a task you can do right away.

On the other hand, if there is a task with a specific process such as a queue or timeframe laid out for review- such as "Send it to me via email and I will review it in 48 hours" then it really should go through that process. If I missed the email (which does happen), then it is okay to stop by and ask if I had a chance to look at the email about X. Additionally, if the review period is 48 hours but it's critical for some reason and needs to be done in less than 48 hours, then it's not a big deal to stop by.

It seems like the OP is just not very personable. Someone should be able to stop by as long as it isn't going outside an established procedure.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:49 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,702,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
Well earlier this week I was trying to maintain my professionalism when she said she needed the documents at that moment. I was like...."excuse me?

The idiot never said it's for something our manager needs and just made it seem like it was her who wanted me to look for something.

The only person that should be questioning me at my desk is my supervisor
Perhaps you would be happier if you had a job that allowed you to work at home so that you wouldn't have to interact with any co-workers in person, and could use email to question them at length about their reasons for asking you to do something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment