Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 05:11 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,379,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRamon View Post
maybe they're doing that to not leave any kind of trail.
This is exactly the reason. In today's day and age people know that everything is tracked and even the appearance of an inability to perform their job puts them at risk. I have folks who will call/IM me vs. emailing me and I KNOW why they are calling, so I simply do not answer or will IM them back and tell them to email me and say that I'm on a call and can't speak at the moment.

I don't think that's what bothers me most, it's that they must think I'm too dumb to figure out they are doing.

Ahhhh, Corporate America, gotta love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 05:20 AM

1,281 posts, read 777,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
It really depends on the question. If someone is looking for an item, then it makes sense for them to come by and say "Do you have this file" or "Do you know where X papers are?" instead of emailing since that's a task you can do right away.

On the other hand, if there is a task with a specific process such as a queue or timeframe laid out for review- such as "Send it to me via email and I will review it in 48 hours" then it really should go through that process. If I missed the email (which does happen), then it is okay to stop by and ask if I had a chance to look at the email about X. Additionally, if the review period is 48 hours but it's critical for some reason and needs to be done in less than 48 hours, then it's not a big deal to stop by.

It seems like the OP is just not very personable. Someone should be able to stop by as long as it isn't going outside an established procedure.

The questions she is asking require research and can't be answered on the spot. That's why I said it's easier to email me because it's something I may have worked on in October.

Old 12-16-2016, 05:38 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
It's this same woman who always manages to ask me a question by coming to my desk expecting an instant answer. Even after I told her to just send me a email when she has a question she still comes and ask me directly. Do you agree it's better to just send a email if you are looking for answers to a work related question? Now this doesn't apply to your supervisor but when it comes to a coworker they should not be coming to your desk. And anything that you are being asked is going to require some researching anyway so why not just send a email?

Agree or Disagree?
Instant Messaging is equally annoying.

sender; Hey, I have a question. Drop whatever you're doing and respond to me right now, OK?

me; <ignore>

Old 12-16-2016, 06:33 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,225,826 times
Quote:
NFCEAST please see post #2. Documenting what you don't know can show up on your review.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:39 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,013,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Instant Messaging is equally annoying.

sender; Hey, I have a question. Drop whatever you're doing and respond to me right now, OK?

me; <ignore>
Ah HA! I wondered when IM was going to rear it's ugly head in this thread!

I get a lot of IMs with: "...here is a really complex issue and I want you to answer instantly with your thoughts on how I should handle this...."

Old 12-16-2016, 06:41 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,742,113 times
NO, I find it easier for them to come ask me so I don't need to type every detail of explanation. Not to mention, things sometimes get lost in translation. I'd rather they come ask me in person or call my extension. I personally just think it's easier. If they don't understand my email then I have to write back, blah, blah, blah. Too much time.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:43 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,327,431 times
Quote:
I had a boss who would never respond to a question with e-mail.

I concluded that he did not want to leave evidence. My guess is that he had been previously burned.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:05 AM

88,613 posts, read 84,857,016 times
It generally depends upon WHO is the person walking in and asking the question, and I suspect that's at the root of the OP's snit.

You don't like this person.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:07 AM

407 posts, read 370,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyqueen801 View Post
it generally depends upon who is the person walking in and asking the question, and i suspect that's at the root of the op's snit.

You don't like this person.
+1

Old 12-16-2016, 07:34 AM

1,281 posts, read 777,085 times
Ok well maybe I will tell her to write it down on a piece of paper so I can follow up and get back to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment