Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 11:38 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,710,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRamon View Post
maybe they're doing that to not leave any kind of trail.
I'm thinking the same thing.

If it's through email you have documentation of everything the person has said. So if they ask too many questions or don't know how to do their job, that is documented in the emails they are sending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 12:04 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,201,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
It's this same woman who always manages to ask me a question by coming to my desk expecting an instant answer. Even after I told her to just send me a email when she has a question she still comes and ask me directly. Do you agree it's better to just send a email if you are looking for answers to a work related question? Now this doesn't apply to your supervisor but when it comes to a coworker they should not be coming to your desk. And anything that you are being asked is going to require some researching anyway so why not just send a email?

Agree or Disagree?
I worked in a computer center for twenty years, people coming in personally to ask questions was not that unusual. For one thing, people like to get up and get away from the screen and their work station.

No big deal.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:40 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,123,976 times
Back when I worked in the corporate world, I experienced the "shoot me an email" all to often.
It was as if these people were being paid by the number of emails read per day.

As an example: "Hey Boss, the Smoker's Outpost by the loading dock is on fire". Boss: "Really? Can you shoot me an email".

Or: "Hey Kirt, this is Rick. A lady slipped on the ice in the parking lot. Can you get Miguel to hit it with some ice-melt?"
Kirt: "No s#it! (You guessed it) Can you send me an email"?

So somehow an email has replaced an actual response to an issue. So glad I don't have to abide by such rules anymore.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:43 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRamon View Post
maybe they're doing that to not leave any kind of trail.
This very well could be it.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:16 PM

509 posts, read 555,114 times
Don't answer but e mail her later so she has to send an e mail.

Something like:
"In reference to your question earlier, did you want X Y Z or was it something else? Please clarify. Thank you."

If she doesn't take the hint and send an e mail back, at least you'll have documentation of the occurences in your sent mail folder.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:50 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
What needs to be considered, is if the OP is sent an email, how quick does one get an answer. It may be that he/she takes so long to answer emails, that the other people have learned the only way to get the answer needed is to go see them in person.

This is very common, with the people that say, "send me an email instead of going to my desk". They take so long to get the information by email, you won't send them an email when you need the information quickly. To them asking them questions by email, is just a way to postpone having to give someone an answer.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:04 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,228,300 times
I extract information from engineers and software developers for a living. Here's what happens a lot:

Q. Should this be A or B?
A. Yes

Q. Does X do Y?
Q. If so, then how will this work?
Q. If not, then how will that work?
A. X

Some people read the first five words of the message and fire off a response. I know who does this, so I skip the email and corner them at their desk.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:37 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
I extract information from engineers and software developers for a living. Here's what happens a lot:

Q. Should this be A or B?
A. Yes

Q. Does X do Y?
Q. If so, then how will this work?
Q. If not, then how will that work?
A. X

Some people read the first five words of the message and fire off a response. I know who does this, so I skip the email and corner them at their desk.
So a software developer on a tight deadline with 100% focus on the problem at hand is supposed to drop everything to answer your questions? This is why the corporate world has had calendar-scheduler software for many decades. It's to prevent this inefficient interrupt-driven behavior. Schedule a 10 minute meeting. If you're developing code, every context switch kills 30 minutes. Get 10 of those per day and the project goes off the rails.

Before the open office floorplan nonsense, an office with a door could fend off this kind of behavior. Door closed means to only interrupt if it's urgent.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:47 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,591,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
It's this same woman who always manages to ask me a question by coming to my desk expecting an instant answer. Even after I told her to just send me a email when she has a question she still comes and ask me directly. Do you agree it's better to just send a email if you are looking for answers to a work related question? Now this doesn't apply to your supervisor but when it comes to a coworker they should not be coming to your desk. And anything that you are being asked is going to require some researching anyway so why not just send a email?

Agree or Disagree?
I agree in that I prefer emails for work related questions. But I am not averse to human contact. This is not a big deal. Coworkers can and should approach each other. Emojis or not, you can't really smile in an email. There is no replacement for human contact. You can form a work relationship through email. You can't tell what a person is really like through email. You can't see facial expressions or tone or inflection in an email. Conversation is better than email, but slower. So I like email for work, but I prefer conversation occasionally so I can gauge what a person is like and build a working relationship with him/her. It makes a difference.

If there's some reason you want the question memorialized for work reasons, you can send HER an email after the conversation, confirming your conversation.

This habit that some people are getting into of not wanting any human contact, because we have electronic communication now, is getting out of control. Work places are teams of people, first and foremost. You cannot do your job in a vacuum. It requires interaction with others of your team. Sometimes it's by email (usually, in fact), but sometimes it's by face to face contact.

This is a minor thing, in my book. However someone wants to communicate isn't a big deal. It just isn't.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:53 AM

1,281 posts, read 777,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I agree in that I prefer emails for work related questions. But I am not averse to human contact. This is not a big deal. Coworkers can and should approach each other. Emojis or not, you can't really smile in an email. There is no replacement for human contact. You can form a work relationship through email. You can't tell what a person is really like through email. You can't see facial expressions or tone or inflection in an email. Conversation is better than email, but slower. So I like email for work, but I prefer conversation occasionally so I can gauge what a person is like and build a working relationship with him/her. It makes a difference.

If there's some reason you want the question memorialized for work reasons, you can send HER an email after the conversation, confirming your conversation.

This habit that some people are getting into of not wanting any human contact, because we have electronic communication now, is getting out of control. Work places are teams of people, first and foremost. You cannot do your job in a vacuum. It requires interaction with others of your team. Sometimes it's by email (usually, in fact), but sometimes it's by face to face contact.

This is a minor thing, in my book. However someone wants to communicate isn't a big deal. It just isn't.
I don't think it's the face to face contact I have a issue with, it's the coworker expecting a instant answer like I am a walking computer. It would be different if they wrote it down on a piece of paper and allowed me to follow up and get back to them later. But sometimes they come off as a supervisor and want a answer on the spot and I am like...."excuse me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment