Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 08:58 AM

88,603 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
I extract information from engineers and software developers for a living. Here's what happens a lot:

Q. Should this be A or B?
A. Yes

Q. Does X do Y?
Q. If so, then how will this work?
Q. If not, then how will that work?
A. X

Some people read the first five words of the message and fire off a response. I know who does this, so I skip the email and corner them at their desk.
Important. THAT has gotten to be a problem. Too many times I put together a carefully worded email with all the information only to receive an inane response that tells me the person didn't read through. Frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 09:06 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,933,246 times
The art of face to face communication at work (and out!) is dying because of EM and IM. I am actually happy when someone shows up at my desk with actual speech that I can hear and react to.

To the OP: Are you a designated resource/SME in your team/department? If not, and since you seem to strongly dislike questioning visitors at your desk, try pitching to your supervisor/manager the idea that someone be assigned a resource for people who have questions. If it winds up being you, then try to see it as a good thing/a testament to your job knowledge. Then, see if you can have it added to your job description. Perhaps it will result in a pay boost/promotion.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:10 AM

1,281 posts, read 776,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
The art of face to face communication at work (and out!) is dying because of EM and IM. I am actually happy when someone shows up at my desk with actual speech that I can hear and react to.

To the OP: Are you a designated resource/SME in your team/department? If not, and since you seem to strongly dislike questioning visitors at your desk, try pitching to your supervisor/manager the idea that someone be assigned a resource for people who have questions. If it winds up being you, then try to see it as a good thing/a testament to your job knowledge. Then, see if you can have it added to your job description. Perhaps it will result in a pay boost/promotion.
It's only a issue because they expect me to give them a answer on the spot.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:05 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Well someone shouldn't expect an instant answer. It seems like there is this culture now where email has become lazy and impersonal. It's encouraged to go see someone face to face and ask them if possible. It's like this at work anyway. I really prefer to do it by email or chat. If it's somethint easy sure stop by my desk. If not email is better.
Email is the best for any kind of question that is at all complicated. I don't like being put on the spot with in-person questions.

I also am already tired of work people IMing...you can be in the middle of a Skype meeting and they still get ticked if you don't immediately IM them back! And then after you answer them, no acknowledgement that they got the answer they needed or a simple thank you! You stick around waiting for an "end" to the conversation and there is none from their side.

Sometimes email really IS the most polite/least rude way to interact.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:39 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,486,112 times
It depends on the culture of the office. I prefer e-mails but I do not work in that type of environment.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:53 PM

23,546 posts, read 24,049,201 times
Some questions can be asked verbally and some cannot be.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:00 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So a software developer on a tight deadline with 100% focus on the problem at hand is supposed to drop everything to answer your questions? This is why the corporate world has had calendar-scheduler software for many decades. It's to prevent this inefficient interrupt-driven behavior. Schedule a 10 minute meeting. If you're developing code, every context switch kills 30 minutes. Get 10 of those per day and the project goes off the rails.
Dude, I'm your tech writer, and my deliverables are also on the critical path. If you can't be bothered to write requirements and specifications docs, and you can't get a decent beta version of the software running so I can see how it's supposed to work, and you won't give me meaningful answers to my email questions, then yes, I'm going to show up in your office door whether you like it or not. We all have jobs to do, even if you think the universe revolves around you.

Wow, that felt good.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:47 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
It's this same woman who always manages to ask me a question by coming to my desk expecting an instant answer. Even after I told her to just send me a email when she has a question she still comes and ask me directly. Do you agree it's better to just send a email if you are looking for answers to a work related question? Now this doesn't apply to your supervisor but when it comes to a coworker they should not be coming to your desk. And anything that you are being asked is going to require some researching anyway so why not just send a email?

Agree or Disagree?
Agree.

I work in an open plan office, unfortunately. My job is intellectually demanding (that's why they pay us what they pay us) and when I'm focusing on something, a coworker interrupting me by physically tapping me on the shoulder (some of them do this) can quickly tangle my chain of thought. It's extremely annoying. I even wear headphones as a "keep away" gesture, but they still do it.

If I look annoyed when I take my headphones off to talk to you, it's because I AM.

I don't have any advice other than to ask said coworker (politely of course) to put her questions in an e-mail and you'll address them when you have time.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:47 AM

1,281 posts, read 776,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Agree.

I work in an open plan office, unfortunately. My job is intellectually demanding (that's why they pay us what they pay us) and when I'm focusing on something, a coworker interrupting me by physically tapping me on the shoulder (some of them do this) can quickly tangle my chain of thought. It's extremely annoying. I even wear headphones as a "keep away" gesture, but they still do it.

If I look annoyed when I take my headphones off to talk to you, it's because I AM.

I don't have any advice other than to ask said coworker (politely of course) to put her questions in an e-mail and you'll address them when you have time.
It's just so stupid she is expecting a instant answer when she comes to my desk. Now if you coming to my desk giving a piece of paper so I can follow up on something is a little different but not standing waiting for me to answer you on the spot.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:40 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,260,309 times
This post reminds me of why I grew to dislike work email: people stopped conversing with one another. Case in point: there was a guy who worked for me that sat at the desk directly across from me who would send me emails all the time.

One day I couldn't stand it any longer so I asked him why don't you just look up from your keyboard and ask me vs sending an email? After all,I'm setting right across from you! His brilliant response was "I send emails so I have a record of it".

Anyway, while email at work is a necessity, it is overused IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment