Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2018, 02:37 PM

923 posts, read 527,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
My in laws moved to Mexico and a co-worker who just retired moved to interior mexico. Granted you don't want to have to work in Mexico because the pay is total crap. But for 100 grand you can live down there for like a decade (so long as you are outside of the hyper touristized areas). There are a lot of people living on the cheap (even if they have to live out of a van) in the USA banking the wages and then going else where because COL in the USA is completely out of control.

In the USA we have the advantage that we can work here in the USA make money and then very easily bring our money to Mexico and live well for a VERY long time where as that same money in the USA you might live 1/10 of that time.

THAT is why people want to get into the USA, to make a lot of money and bring it back, sure some stay but they stay in cheap areas and they will very likely never see the American dream. I know why they come, but I honestly don't know why they stay. Canada is basicly just as bad as the USA in terms of grossly over inflated living costs. Lots of Americans and Canadians in Mexico right now.

Most americans cant afford to retire in the USA, they would have to work until they died because of the real estate costs and taxes. It took these people scraping for 30 years just for a place to take a nap and cook a meal.
I know over 100 men and women who are from Mexico, in US legally, and have said they would never go back. They are trying to get all their family into the US.

I'm sure there are plenty of places to go that are nice, but I've heard far more of places that are not.

Most of the people I know can and have retired here in the US. Many choose to keep working rather than sit at home.

I do know people who "retire" at 62 1/2 or 65 that end up going back to work. Some didn't know a budget from a bucket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 10:36 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,126,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
I know over 100 men and women who are from Mexico, in US legally, and have said they would never go back. They are trying to get all their family into the US.

I'm sure there are plenty of places to go that are nice, but I've heard far more of places that are not.

Most of the people I know can and have retired here in the US. Many choose to keep working rather than sit at home.

I do know people who "retire" at 62 1/2 or 65 that end up going back to work. Some didn't know a budget from a bucket.
Retiring at 65 is nothing to brag about, I dont know why they hate mexico so much, some of the nicest places in the world are in Mexico. Sure if you are living on the out skirts of some drug field with a bunch of immoral violent sociopaths it could be a nightmare (oh wait thats corperate amercia lol), but that does not mean I am going to go get into bed with a slum lord that wants 50% of my net income for rent and uses the police state to enforce his "property rights". I mean honestly at the end of the day what difference does it make, I suppose our police state are more polite about kicking you to the curve.

I will agree that pay for honest work in Mexico is crap and I can see why they come to the USA to pad their accounts, but to stay here .... I dont know why unless they have some special situation.

The high alpine of Mexico looks amazing from google earth, why on earth would I pay 750k to live in copper mountian when I can live in the mtns of mexico. I would have to sell drugs to afford 750k for a house .... lol.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:43 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,944,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Most McD are privately owned, the CEO pay has no bearing on what these individuals can pay and still make a profit. Those with only 1 store are not making a lot of money, the ones that do are those that own 3-4 of them. Certainly less profit is an option, but people invest their money and time in a business to make a living, and the small business owner has the same cost of living as everyone else. Average profit is only $150,000, no more than the salary of a corporate middle manager, and less than the income required in our city and many others to afford the average home at over 900k now.

Owning a McDonald’s Franchise: Purchase Cost vs. Annual Profit
The franchise model such as gas station stores and restaurants is a bit different and has more moving parts to worry about, such as the proprietor's budget. Let's say it is a corporate model like retail or a goods company, then yes the CEO could far more easily take a cut to offset wages. However most CEOs don't.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:37 AM

923 posts, read 527,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Retiring at 65 is nothing to brag about, I dont know why they hate mexico so much, some of the nicest places in the world are in Mexico. Sure if you are living on the out skirts of some drug field with a bunch of immoral violent sociopaths it could be a nightmare (oh wait thats corperate amercia lol), but that does not mean I am going to go get into bed with a slum lord that wants 50% of my net income for rent and uses the police state to enforce his "property rights". I mean honestly at the end of the day what difference does it make, I suppose our police state are more polite about kicking you to the curve.

I will agree that pay for honest work in Mexico is crap and I can see why they come to the USA to pad their accounts, but to stay here .... I dont know why unless they have some special situation.

The high alpine of Mexico looks amazing from google earth, why on earth would I pay 750k to live in copper mountian when I can live in the mtns of mexico. I would have to sell drugs to afford 750k for a house .... lol.
HAHAHAHAHA! You can air drop drugs from the pitts.

The people are mostly German Mennonites. Mostly good people, mind their own, very little trouble. People get shot/killed often according to the stories. Guessing bad drug deals, if all is true. One thing for sure, they want out....unless they can buy cheap old equipment from the states and haul to mexico and make a pretty penny.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:06 AM

22,365 posts, read 29,497,078 times
I'm at $15 per hour plus commission and I can do OT anytime I want. I do quite well

Old 07-19-2021, 11:24 PM

37 posts, read 24,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just hanging out View Post
At minimum?

I'm curious.
If minimum wage was raised by $5 (which is about 50% what it is now), what about all those who are making $15 an hour now with college degrees in entry level specialized positions? They won't get a $7.50/hour raise. They will be making the same as those in positions that do not require special skills or education. Is this fair?
I'm very open to hearing differing opinions without getting into an argument.

What do you think YOU'RE worth?
I'd like this to be an open discussion with no attacks or party-blaming (dems/reps)

In the current economy at about $9-10 an hour as minimum wage, I'd say I'm probably worth $21 an hour.. With a specialized masters and a license to practice therapy. Second year out of school.
Those who are making $15 an hour now with college degrees in entry level specialized positions have a ladder to promotion and higher wages.

Minimum wagers don't.
Why would anyone think that someone isn't worth a wage to stay out of poverty?

Old 07-20-2021, 09:08 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,119,222 times
What you're worth is relatively arbitrary, and generally dictated by availability of equivalent labor in the market. An employer has a budget for the position they're offering. You have a general idea of the pay ranges for those particular roles based on feedback in interviews or data you can parse through on Glassdoor or Indeed or BLS. If you're on the more experienced end for said role, then you'll likely demand a wage on the higher end of their pay band. Maybe you price yourself out, maybe you don't. Maybe the employer wants someone more experienced and thus more costly, or maybe they're looking for someone less expensive who they're willing to train. There are a lot of moving parts in these scenarios. I think it's both wise to be realistic about the value the role brings to the organization and to not undervalue your worth during negotiations.

Old 07-20-2021, 10:13 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,484,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
What you're worth is relatively arbitrary, and generally dictated by availability of equivalent labor in the market. An employer has a budget for the position they're offering. You have a general idea of the pay ranges for those particular roles based on feedback in interviews or data you can parse through on Glassdoor or Indeed or BLS. If you're on the more experienced end for said role, then you'll likely demand a wage on the higher end of their pay band. Maybe you price yourself out, maybe you don't. Maybe the employer wants someone more experienced and thus more costly, or maybe they're looking for someone less expensive who they're willing to train. There are a lot of moving parts in these scenarios. I think it's both wise to be realistic about the value the role brings to the organization and to not undervalue your worth during negotiations.
I'd agree with this, except, it's still not working. Some businesses are complaining people don't want to go back to work because they have "pandemic funds" and unemployment. Well, they're just looking out for themselves. They get more money by not doing those MW jobs. Businesses would do the exact same thing. They'd maximize profit. Furthermore, we tell employees they should improve themselves if they don't like it, which is exactly what they're doing. They have no desire to return to those MW jobs.

Even without such "handouts", the wages of what they do is so low, that it's a job that's not worth keeping. Not when their competitor down the street is hiring for the same wages. These employees won't get higher wages on their own, so they use methods like pressuring the government to make changes.

Old 07-20-2021, 12:53 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,119,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I'd agree with this, except, it's still not working. Some businesses are complaining people don't want to go back to work because they have "pandemic funds" and unemployment. Well, they're just looking out for themselves. They get more money by not doing those MW jobs. Businesses would do the exact same thing. They'd maximize profit. Furthermore, we tell employees they should improve themselves if they don't like it, which is exactly what they're doing. They have no desire to return to those MW jobs.

Even without such "handouts", the wages of what they do is so low, that it's a job that's not worth keeping. Not when their competitor down the street is hiring for the same wages. These employees won't get higher wages on their own, so they use methods like pressuring the government to make changes.
I agree. I think it's going to change the short-term, if not long-term, landscape of this particular labor market. A lot of employers who offer these jobs are offering signing bonuses, something otherwise unheard of for these types of roles. Some businesses with exceptionally thin margins will likely go out of business as a result of this artificial "shortage" and inability to compete at the current market rate.

In a lot of ways, COVID was the catalyst for a lot of change. Some changes, at least initially, will be perceived as negative and unsustainable. Other changes will likely be here to stay and probably for the best in the long run.

Old 07-20-2021, 01:49 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,242,083 times
People's pay/ hourly wage/ salary tend to be a reflection of how much market value they are adding to society.

Meaning their skills and work (few people add value to society outside of what they do vocationally -- but there are some)

The market will also always try to revert to the norm -- this is the "invisible hand." Non-market distortions, like government stimulus payments, eventually get worked out of the equation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment