Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2018, 05:26 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,127,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
BTW, the money you make is made by the company you work for, so you are getting a percentage of the profits. Also, your assets aren't on the line if the company doesn't make money. You can take another job tomorrow, not so with a company.
Perfect example is stores closing down, those assets are lost by the company.
I am talking about millions of dollars annual type percentage not the 60-100k that an employer might pay in wages. Typically the intellectual property is worth FAR more than the wages, so its a bad trade for the employee. As an intellectual property creator I don't need to have millions on the line, the reason said equipment is worth more than refined bar stock is BECAUSE of the intellectual property, if I am the one developing that then I don't need you. I may need some income for start up, but it will be a cold day before you get "employee engagement" of my best ideas unless your willing to pay, and I mean like retire that day as a multi millionare type pay not your meager slave wages pay.

Employers know this and that is why it is exploitive and why we are seeing this antagonistic relationship these days. Most mega corps aren't hurting so you wont get me to join that pitty party. Most mom and pops are not exploiting intellectual property I am thinking of.

This antagonism will exist so long as companies don't pay proper value for said ideas. This all stems back to unrealistic share holder ROI's. The only way you get more than about 6-8% ROR is if you are doing something unethical OR if you are the scientist or engineer that is literally creating the ideas and inventions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 06:03 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,947,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
In today's capitalism, it's easier for large companies to just suppress or buy out the competition. Some of the smaller shops never had a chance.
This is why labor must organize and resist.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:31 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,127,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
This is why labor must organize and resist.
Yep but they wont. I do think there is a chance for skilled labor such as engineers, designers, mill wrights, to form guilds again since the numbers of these people are small.

The issue with this is you may only have a few per state, so how do you organize such a dispersed group of people? Its not like the old days where the entire union was all at the mine and they had total leverage over the situation.

Lets say there is 5,000 engineers of a specific disapline working across the USA. How does a group like that even strike? 5,000 people is not enough to get legislation passed to force employers to deal with it. Say if engineers at a chemical plant in texas were on strike and I am in Montana, well, I have to strike too, does the law protect my job from retaliation, does the union pay me some percentage of my income?

The engineers and metal workers in Germany do just this but I am pretty sure the union is strong enough to be able to use force of law to ensure corporate compliance. If I understand correctly in Germany the legal tools they have are swift and have very sharp teeth to cause significant financial hardship for the company if things go awry.

The million dollar question is how does such a dispersed group organize, maybe through professional societies? Would societies such as IEEE, AICHE, ASME, etc support such a thing?

Old 01-19-2018, 07:00 AM

2,534 posts, read 1,873,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo_Lorem View Post
It's pretty simple math.. If the entry-level McDonald's worker is getting $15 an hour, then McDonalds can do one of two things to adjust:

1) raise the price of products being sold. The dollar menu would become the 3 dollar menu

or

2) eliminate positions by making other employees do more or replace with technology.

Either way it doesn't really solve the problem.

In our country, the problem is payment for skilled positions not unskilled IMO. The "market rate" is often set by these large corporations/franchises anymore.
So they can't cut ceos pay or take less profit? only two options are to raise prices or fire people?

Old 01-19-2018, 07:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,646 posts, read 81,386,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
So they can't cut ceos pay or take less profit? only two options are to raise prices or fire people?
Most McD are privately owned, the CEO pay has no bearing on what these individuals can pay and still make a profit. Those with only 1 store are not making a lot of money, the ones that do are those that own 3-4 of them. Certainly less profit is an option, but people invest their money and time in a business to make a living, and the small business owner has the same cost of living as everyone else. Average profit is only $150,000, no more than the salary of a corporate middle manager, and less than the income required in our city and many others to afford the average home at over 900k now.

Owning a McDonald’s Franchise: Purchase Cost vs. Annual Profit

Old 01-19-2018, 10:00 AM

529 posts, read 509,125 times
Maybe minimum wage should be adjusted in each state so it arches Bei g able to afford bare bones living. *That means a $30 a month cellphone, roomates, and nno car or old car. I feel like that would please both the right and left. Get the accounts on it!

Old 01-19-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by startingfromscratchagain View Post
Maybe minimum wage should be adjusted in each state so it arches Bei g able to afford bare bones living. *That means a $30 a month cellphone, roomates, and nno car or old car. I feel like that would please both the right and left. Get the accounts on it!
Most people I know just think workers who work full time should be allowed to afford a modest apartment and feed themselves. The current situation is unacceptable.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:45 AM

923 posts, read 528,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I am talking about millions of dollars annual type percentage not the 60-100k that an employer might pay in wages. Typically the intellectual property is worth FAR more than the wages, so its a bad trade for the employee. As an intellectual property creator I don't need to have millions on the line, the reason said equipment is worth more than refined bar stock is BECAUSE of the intellectual property, if I am the one developing that then I don't need you. I may need some income for start up, but it will be a cold day before you get "employee engagement" of my best ideas unless your willing to pay, and I mean like retire that day as a multi millionare type pay not your meager slave wages pay.

That is part of the negotiations of wages. Many do have more intellectual property than what they are being rewarded for, same as there are many over compensated for less intel property.

If a person wants to work for said business, then you accept their terms. Same as if said company wants you to work for them, they accept your terms.

I guess you could say that your mind and body is an asset and how you gain from that is like selling any other asset, or I should say having it give a ROI that is comfortable. If it's not comfortable, market your asset. If no market for your asset, upgrade the asset to something people want.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
That is part of the negotiations of wages. Many do have more intellectual property than what they are being rewarded for, same as there are many over compensated for less intel property.

If a person wants to work for said business, then you accept their terms. Same as if said company wants you to work for them, they accept your terms.

I guess you could say that your mind and body is an asset and how you gain from that is like selling any other asset, or I should say having it give a ROI that is comfortable. If it's not comfortable, market your asset. If no market for your asset, upgrade the asset to something people want.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:28 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,559,990 times
@BornintheSprings then stop expecting people to hand you things if you don't like what they are handing you

it isn't starvation, learn to cook your own meals instead of buying it

learn to make what you need instead of paying someone for it

learn to make your own business if you don't like how other people run theirs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment