Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2018, 12:06 PM

4,330 posts, read 7,239,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Dick's Drive-In in Seattle has been kicking McDonald's b*tt for years. They know what people want: quality, value, consistency, and fast/accurate service.
Dick's has like 6 locations in the Seattle, WA area; vs. about 35,000 locations for McDonalds worldwide.

Dick's may be burying McDonald's in the Seattle area, but not the rest of the world where Dick's doesn't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 12:17 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
McDonald's portions are huge compared to Jack in the Box. I bought a chicken sandwich there, it cost almost $4, when I got home I looked at the thing and thought ..dang that sure is a small piece of chicken so I weighed it - 1.8 ounces, hell the lettuce they piled in the thing weighed more than that
here is a comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDrG4SL6tvg

Old 06-12-2018, 01:40 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,372,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
They might be a great fast food restaurant. No way is that a typical crowd. That would defy "fast service". Looks like a grand opening special. Probably giving away free burgers.
Yeah, you win the prize, it was the grand opening of the Edmonds' location. They weren't giving away anything free, just Dick's normal "value" prices. Every time I go by the 45th Street location (the original Dick's) it is very busy with people and cars.

To keep it good and deliver it fast, they stick to the basics and keep it simple.

They'll be opening a seventh location, in Kent, soon. They aren't interested in franchising the concept. They won't become the next Red Robin (originally a great Seattle dive bar).

Old 06-12-2018, 03:47 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,946,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
Completely OT, but why would you get three degrees in business? Were these from different B-schools?
You would have spent an enormous amount of money and time to get three degrees in the same discipline.
Because he's obviously lying. And not even a good lie at that. He think it helps him pretend to be an expert in business.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:22 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,229,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
Completely OT, but why would you get three degrees in business? Were these from different B-schools?
You would have spent an enormous amount of money and time to get three degrees in the same discipline.
Because I am attempting to do a career change from the field I currently am in. I went back to school twice to change careers, and done well in my education. Changing careers? I could not do so because I don't have experience in the new field I'm trying to get into. Employers see experience in my old field and stop there, thinking that's the only field I can do work in.

I did well consulting in my old field, had many clients, and repeat engagements, lots of recommendations on my linkedin profile. The idea that someone who rocks in their old field and learns something new will become a blithering idiot in the new field, is utterly ridiculous. But this is the belief I see out there from employers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Because he's obviously lying. And not even a good lie at that. He think it helps him pretend to be an expert in business.
I'm definitely not lying. I don't have to "pretend" to be an expert in anything. I just happen to have a long term view on business. Companies who seek short term gains, fizzle out quickly.

You're obviously not able to address my points with any sort of reason or logic or facts, that explains the personal attacks.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:57 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
JBtwinz is spot on.
Except he is way off topic. McDonalds, as a corporation, is cutting jobs. That is decidedly different than McDonalds store operators cutting jobs because the corporation runs very few store itself. It will be extremely surprising if any of the people who are about to lose their positions currently flip a burger, take an order or mop a floor.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:05 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
The lefties are pushing for McDonalds employees to get paid $15 an hour. So if I was the head of the company, I would get rid of just as many frontline staff as possible. Labor eats up profit. Automate, automate, automate. That includes cooking.
If you weren't so busy trying to fit every little problem into your political agenda you might realize that "frontline staff" do not work for McDonalds, they work for local business people who hold the franchises. Labor in the stores does not eat up corporate profits.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:01 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,842 times
There's no way McDonald's will stay afloat with $15 minimum wage. It has to start laying off people.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:05 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Let's face it, they're both pretty sad-ass.

That crinkling noise is the sound of your heart after eating all that mayo.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:42 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,248,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
The problem with McDonald's is their food, not their employees. The sandwiches and other food portions are too small. When you order a meal at McDonald's you get a message by the size of the portion that says "I don't care about my reputation, I just want to save money by giving you the smallest amount of food that I can get away with."

For a long time this has been the case. I avoid going to this "restaurant" because of these small food portions that seem to be meant for little children rather than adults.

McDonald's can restructure all it wants, but if it doesn't improve the size of their food portions then they will continue to be buffeted around by their competitors
I think portions are fine but quality is a bigger issue. There are a lot more competitors in this industry now and over the years prices have crept up at McDonald's too. For what you pay at McDonald's you aren't that far way from paying a little more(sometimes even less, depending) and getting something higher quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment