Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2018, 05:36 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,868,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Those who currently have jobs found an employer who took the risk at hiring them when they had zero experience. It was pure luck. 100% chance.

That's the problem.

Now, bring a solution to the problem instead of snark. How do you expect people to get around the catch-22 of no job, no experience; no experience, no job?

or are people only supposed to get a job through luck with zero reliance on skillset?
There is no such Catch 22 and you proved it yourself in your first sentence. I found a career by responding to a job listing that stated "Enthusiasm more important than experience." Work experience can be transferable to different careers and people are hired on this basis daily. Some fields may require more specific experience but even within them are employers who prefer to hire people rather than resumes.

The problem is for those who refuse to see the broader picture and develop these fallacious "rules," both as employers and potential hires.

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”
― Henry Ford
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 05:58 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,242,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
There is no such Catch 22 and you proved it yourself in your first sentence.
So what you are saying is that luck is the only way to get a job now. Skills? Who cares. Willingness to work? Who cares. Degrees? Irrelevant. Just 100% pure unadulterated luck.

Quote:
I found a career by responding to a job listing that stated "Enthusiasm more important than experience."
Which means you lucked out. Because you got lucky, everyone is lucky, no problems, no catch-22.

That's out of touch.

Your post is a lecture from a Mega Millions winner on how to become a millionaire.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
So what you are saying is that luck is the only way to get a job now. Skills? Who cares. Willingness to work? Who cares. Degrees? Irrelevant. Just 100% pure unadulterated luck.

Which means you lucked out. Because you got lucky, everyone is lucky, no problems, no catch-22.

That's out of touch.

Your post is a lecture from a Mega Millions winner on how to become a millionaire.
If you got anything about luck out of my posting it seems you have a bigger communication problem than first appearances would indicate. Perhaps spending some time with a professional career counselor would be helpful.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
If you got anything about luck out of my posting it seems you have a bigger communication problem than first appearances would indicate.
I have communicated clearly. You just don't answer questions.

You believe that since you never had to deal with a catch-22, that nobody else does. In your mind, the job market is unicorns and rainbows.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:18 PM

34,123 posts, read 17,183,073 times
Quote:

You believe that since you never had to deal with a catch-22, that nobody else does. In your mind, the job market is unicorns and rainbows.

In your mind, conceding and going to sleep until death, under the covers is the answer.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
In your mind, conceding and going to sleep until death, under the covers is the answer.
Nope. In my mind, the answer is to get the information I'm looking for.

kokonutty is denying the reality of the bad job market and the ridiculous catch-22 out there.

He got lucky, and he thinks everyone is lucky. So obviously he could not answer the question I asked.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:

I never said I never had to deal with a Catch 22 as I never said I got a job because of luck. Communication is a two way street and you have now demonstrated twice that you're unwilling or unable to understand what I have written. Your last sentence is absurd, created solely out of what is going on in your mind without the slightest gossamer thread to tie it to reality.

I have suggested career counseling but, for someone who already has all the answers, it would probably be a waste of time and money. Good luck in life, I'm done here.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Nope. In my mind, the answer is to get the information I'm looking for.

kokonutty is denying the reality of the bad job market and the ridiculous catch-22 out there.

He got lucky, and he thinks everyone is lucky. So obviously he could not answer the question I asked.
It's not luck only. Some people try immensely harder then others to find work, and in so doing, exponentially increase the odds in their favor.

You are defeatist, and employers can read that a mile away.

This job market is hyper hot. It will not stay this good permanently, but right now, most employers have lost quite a few people this year, via the employee's choice.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It's not luck only. Some people try immensely harder then others to find work, and in so doing, exponentially increase the odds in their favor.
I've worked very hard to do a career change. Employers only want people who have experience. So far, I have not been able to do the career change.

Quote:
You are defeatist, and employers can read that a mile away.
Asking questions is not a defeatist attitude. If someone thinks someone can get a job without experience, I'd like to know their secret.

If I were a defeatist, I wouldn't bother asking any questions or doing anything.

Quote:
This job market is hyper hot.
If that were true, we would see jobs that require no experience, so career changers can get in. There are none.

Career changers are locked out. This is not acceptable to me, so that's why I ask questions, and try to change the situation I'm dealing with.

If the job market were hyper hot as you claim, it would be a PERFECT time to do a career change, and get into a better, more stable field. But that can't be done without experience. Employers don't care about transferable skills or experience in another field. Apparently they believe that someone rocks in an old field, they learn new things and become blithering idiots in the new field. Somehow adaptability is seen as a huge negative.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
If the job market were hyper hot as you claim, it would be a PERFECT time to do a career change, and get into a better, more stable field. But that can't be done without experience. Employers don't care about transferable skills or experience in another field. Apparently they believe that someone rocks in an old field, they learn new things and become blithering idiots in the new field. Somehow adaptability is seen as a huge negative.
Actually we've had 3 people internally change careers, with no experience in the new endeavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment