Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 11:23 AM

335 posts, read 356,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
My company says one year before taking any time off for vacation.
Seriously? Remind me not to work there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 11:30 AM

35,058 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Depends on the company.

Read your company's benefit handbook

I am in Ohio which is an "at will" state. If you asked me for a week off after 6 months, don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on your way out
What length of service is good enough for you?

Old 07-31-2018, 11:47 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Really? Where in the world do you work where you cannot take a week off of vacation? Even low-end menial labor jobs get a week or two of vacation every year. I've been in the work force for 25 years now and have never once worked anywhere that you couldn't take a week off. In fact, time away is often *encouraged*!
Perhaps works in a state of denial?

There are many people who talk about how they can't take any time off from work, because they like to sound important. The truth is, if you can't take off time from work than you don't know how to manage, plan and schedule work, and more importantly work with others. Those types are often the information hiders so no one else can function while they aren't there. Everyone can be replaced. Everyone should have a backup and train others to take over for them, or have someone who can be made available when there's additional work. Mostly I've seen this from people who work in accounting, because deep down they know they can easily be replaced with an experienced temporary worker and at a lower cost to the employer.

In doing project manager the holidays and vacations are all taken into account for the schedule.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:03 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
whether I was at a job ten minutes or 20 years, the linear process remained. Ask and then work with management to achieve it.

One business Knew upfront the day of hire that I needed a particular date off. There was zero push back of "gee she is a new girl, why the favoritism". Instead the "TEAM"" encouraged me on the date that I was taking off. It was for an awards dinner for our inner city kids. Guess some Business's are tolerant of volunteers who offer much to the community.

You bet though I have seen the style of management that is so by the book that I'm surprised they don't take that book to the lavatory or home to memorize ....

Work doesn't own my life. Most genuine leaders understand and work with the team members. Sometimes a denial is necessary ....be it a newcomer or a long term employee.....

Old 07-31-2018, 01:45 PM

4,271 posts, read 6,295,785 times
I knew of at least 2 pre-planned trips planned when I was being interviewed, and upon receiving the offer I let the HR rep know I'd need those days and would understand if it was unpaid time since both trips were within the first 90 days. They said I could use any PTO that I had earned leading up to those dates. Fortunately, for the first trip I only need 8 hours and had enough saved, and by the time the second trip rolled around, I had 16 hours saved and was fine there as well.

I'm still less than 12 months in and have also taken a couple other days as needed. I'm fortunate to work for a company that is VERY flexible and still small enough to treat us more like family than employees. I'm not so sure a very large company (such as my former company) would be as willing to allow me the time off.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:54 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Honestly I've requested it a few days after I started...But the start date was December 19th or something, and the two days after Christmas weren't exactly bustling, and there wasn't anything for me to do or anyone there to train me in a meaningful way.

A whole week vacation? I think 6 months...Or four months out for something scheduled at your six month date. Depends on the handbook though.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:58 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
I would make sure I understand the material first. Then, I would think about using my PTO during slow periods.

Taking a whole week off is not even common for people who have been there for a while...

At my current job, we have unlimited PTO. As long as you are able to finish your work within the deadline, managers don't care. But, someone was silly enough to abuse the policy and take 2 days off every week. She pretty much proved that her position wasn't necessary and she was laid off. So, be careful. If your departure has no impact in your department, it will raise some questions.
That really depends on the company and type of position...

The problem with unlimited PTO...its like, "Go ahead...I dare ya..."

Old 07-31-2018, 02:46 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,724,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Depends on the company.

Read your company's benefit handbook

I am in Ohio which is an "at will" state. If you asked me for a week off after 6 months, don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on your way out
That's really weird. At what point would you find it appropriate for someone to take a vacation? What kind of company is it? Or is this your hypothetical company?

I personally wouldn't work under those conditions and neither would my husband. We've both always been well paid and have been valued employees (well, when I worked for someone else... I own my own business now). I suspect that the type of person who would be willing to work for a boss who would fire them for asking for a week off after six months is probably not the type who could easily get a job anywhere, due to a lack of skills or a lack of work ethic or something else. Not the type of employee I'd want to attract, but I know some companies do tend to like employees who desperately need the job and will settle for low wages, minimal or no benefits, etc.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:01 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,415,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
That's really weird. At what point would you find it appropriate for someone to take a vacation? What kind of company is it? Or is this your hypothetical company?

I personally wouldn't work under those conditions and neither would my husband. We've both always been well paid and have been valued employees (well, when I worked for someone else... I own my own business now). I suspect that the type of person who would be willing to work for a boss who would fire them for asking for a week off after six months is probably not the type who could easily get a job anywhere, due to a lack of skills or a lack of work ethic or something else. Not the type of employee I'd want to attract, but I know some companies do tend to like employees who desperately need the job and will settle for low wages, minimal or no benefits, etc.
In order to get a vacation we’re i worked you had to be there a year, same for paid time off. Most companies do that and if you were hired on by a temporary service we would work them 3 months with the temp service. If we liked the way they worked we would hire them but they would have to get a back ground charge by our company we don’t use temporary service background checks, then the employee would have to work 90 day before eligible for benefits and a year for a vacation. If they don’t like that then there’s the door because there was always someone else who would take their place.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:29 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,816,952 times
I've never worked anywhere where taking a full week at a time was frowned upon. Even long ago when I was in the restaurant business I was allowed to take a week off for vacation. It wasn't paid, but I was allowed to take it. I even had one job where I pushed off my start date by a week just so I could take time off. That job followed a sales job where I was "allowed" to take a week off, but if I did, I would lose some or all of my pipeline so I took lots of working vacations (worked there for 6+ years) and never had any "off" time for that time period. The job I was going to was in the same line of work, but no longer sales and they actually encouraged me to take that week off since they knew how the sales end worked. Most jobs I ended the previous one on a certain day and started the new job the next day.

I have to say, I am happy to be self employed now, even though I (and my husband) work 7 days a week 24 hours a day. However, it's something I love and I schedule 2 weeks off in the spring and 2 weeks off in the fall. Once in a while we get a day or a week off which we think of as a treat. But that doesn't happen very often (thank goodness!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment