Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 09:26 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,255,484 times

Advertisements

Let's say you start a new job, how long would you wait before you take a day off? what about requesting a whole week off for a vacation? I'm thinking a year... or at the least 6 months. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 09:28 AM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
I think you should check your Employee Handbook. Most will outline leave policy.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:30 AM

801 posts, read 547,862 times
I would make sure I understand the material first. Then, I would think about using my PTO during slow periods.

Taking a whole week off is not even common for people who have been there for a while...

At my current job, we have unlimited PTO. As long as you are able to finish your work within the deadline, managers don't care. But, someone was silly enough to abuse the policy and take 2 days off every week. She pretty much proved that her position wasn't necessary and she was laid off. So, be careful. If your departure has no impact in your department, it will raise some questions.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:34 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
Let's say you start a new job, how long would you wait before you take a day off? what about requesting a whole week off for a vacation? I'm thinking a year... or at the least 6 months. What do you think?
This depends on what you already have planned before you took the job. For example, If you have a 2 week long vacation with the family planned for next month, then tell them you have this time reserved and see how they handle it.

I know someone who had some stupid golf event planned the same week they started a new job and needed time off, and they let him have it. Golf, so stupid. I would have fired him for asking, but that's me.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
This depends on what you already have planned before you took the job. For example, If you have a 2 week long vacation with the family planned for next month, then tell them you have this time reserved and see how they handle it.

I know someone who had some stupid golf event planned the same week they started a new job and needed time off, and they let him have it. Golf, so stupid. I would have fired him for asking, but that's me.
I sure am glad that I don't work under people like you. Managers who are that crude are typically the most stressed ones since they have a tough time keeping good talents.

Last edited by Liar_Liar; 07-30-2018 at 10:50 AM..

Old 07-30-2018, 10:56 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
I would make sure I understand the material first. Then, I would think about using my PTO during slow periods.

Taking a whole week off is not even common for people who have been there for a while...

At my current job, we have unlimited PTO. As long as you are able to finish your work within the deadline, managers don't care. But, someone was silly enough to abuse the policy and take 2 days off every week. She pretty much proved that her position wasn't necessary and she was laid off. So, be careful. If your departure has no impact in your department, it will raise some questions.
This is a silly post. It depends on the employer. Taking a whole week off is common at plenty of offices. Most of my friends who take time off tend to take it a week at a time. Obviously people who are taking a day off every week or even every two weeks are going to be considered problem employees, but if you’ve accrued the leave and take a week off after 6 months once you have the time banked, I don’t see why it would be problem.

For the most part, I think it’s probably a good idea to wait a little while before taking a long vacation, but if you do have something big planned before then, let your employer know before starting.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
This is a silly post. It depends on the employer. Taking a whole week off is common at plenty of offices. Most of my friends who take time off tend to take it a week at a time.
That hasn't been my experience at all. If I take a whole week off, I would be coming back to ALOT of work. So, much that I wouldn't be able to catch up by month end.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:05 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Here a new employee accumulates vacation time from day 1 but cannot use it until after passing the 6 month probation. Still, they can take a few days or even a week off without pay if their supervisor agrees. Often someone has made plans and made payment (or partial) for a trip before being hired. I will usually allow it, but that extends their probation by the amount of time they are gone.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:37 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
My company says one year before taking any time off for vacation.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:43 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,374,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post

Really? Where in the world do you work where you cannot take a week off of vacation? Even low-end menial labor jobs get a week or two of vacation every year. I've been in the work force for 25 years now and have never once worked anywhere that you couldn't take a week off. In fact, time away is often *encouraged*!

To the OP - you will probably get pro-rated vacation for the rest of the year. So when hired you were probably told you'd get 2 weeks of vacation or Paid Time Off annually. Since you were hired mid-year your company will pro-rate that amount so you'll only get roughly 1/2 of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment