Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 12:13 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,469,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Please respond to all of what I said in context, instead of selectively quoting me.

I'm not about to argue with you. I quoted the portion I want to respond to, because you're misrepresenting what I said. I recognize a straw man when I see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
so what does that boil down to ? those that can take the heat of the kitchen still have a job .

Or build your own kitchen.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:19 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,171,699 times
I never experienced nightmare job situations until I moved away from my roots, and a large city with plenty of opportunity. I'm fairly confident that reversing the path will restore me back or near to where I once was.

If all your jobs are hell, take a close look at yourself to make sure you aren't a big part of the problem. If that leads nowhere, relocate and/or change fields.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:21 PM

405 posts, read 257,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
People pay way too much attention to news articles, TV shows and movies about how easy people become successful. They don't show the actual sweat what is involved. You look up and down the streets where you live and see businesses that have been there for 20 years or more. That isn't by accident. They had a goal in mind, worked very hard at it, and they continue to do so. Because if they don't, their doors close. Anyone who doesn't understand that has never tried to accomplish anything of substance.

There's also that Oprah viewer mentality, where one evnt changes your life forever. Then there's the 'I quit the corporate world to sell bead jewelry on Etsy' nonsense. I'd love to see those ecstatic entrepreneurs in a year when the can't pay the bills, have no medical coverage and wish they had never left. People need to come to their senses and realize that television is nonsense - just fluff to fill the time between ads. The old adage 'work had and show up every day' is a tried and true formula. The 'better ways' are usually bullcrap.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:25 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,920,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I'm not about to argue with you. I quoted the portion I want to respond to, because you're misrepresenting what I said. I recognize a straw man when I see it.
You were responding to me first, arguing when you said I was incorrect (post #43).

I'm giving my opinion of what you said. If you are going to reply, reply to what I said, instead of cherry picking pieces to quote. That's a Fox News tactic.

So please, can you respond to what I actually said in post #44, and address the question in post #50?

Old 08-16-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
Then there's the 'I quit the corporate world to sell bead jewelry on Etsy' nonsense.

This is such a stereotype. There are a lot of ways to make money independently that don't involve arts and crafts.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:50 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,963,905 times
I began working in the 1960's in an age when there was no political correctness, no employee protections if you weren't in a union, when supervisors could be great or be sadisitic tyrants and it didn't matter to management as long as the job got done. Early on I realized the most important thing to understand was how to survive, how to fend off attacks by supervisors or other workers. None of this was learned in school. Just like in schools, there were bullies and you had to learn how to stand up to them or avoid them. In school you generally wound up using your fists whether you won or lost, or hid. All of this was great training for the work place, where you needed to use your wits instead of your fists. Just like in school, you had to earn your coworkers' and supervisors' respect in order to be left alone to do your job. I've been retired for almost a decade, but I don't believe that has changed.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:59 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,102,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Like any person? No, that's not a commonly held belief by successful people. Where in the world did you get that impression that simply because you got a degree from a good school that employers would come along and dump money in your lap? That's crazy, you don't want a doctor who just graduated medical school, you want someone with a track record of success before they operate on you. So do businesses.

Sorry, but that's your fault too, because did you do any research? Did you actually talk with people who had those degrees that were working doing exactly what you expected? I doubt it, because you prefer to live in a fantasy that all you need to do is one action and you are set for life. Life is never like that and it never was.

People looking for a life goal to "just get by" often never obtain anything further than that, because that's their life goal. You are going to go exactly where you are headed even if you have no direction.

You can take charge of your life, but that requires effort and it is much easier to blame others because you have a lot of company of people who do that. Easier to sit on the couch with a big bang of chips and your beer watching sports, than actually improve your skills or spend your time finding a better situation.
Don't be a d@uche. I was just explaining how naive I was when I was young.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:04 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
He made a funny. The original poster said he made $80k an hour when he meant yearly.
Ah. I read that as $80 an hour and I'm thinking...that's less that 170K a year?

Old 08-16-2018, 05:08 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,067,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I began working in the 1960's in an age when there was no political correctness, no employee protections if you weren't in a union, when supervisors could be great or be sadisitic tyrants and it didn't matter to management as long as the job got done. Early on I realized the most important thing to understand was how to survive, how to fend off attacks by supervisors or other workers. None of this was learned in school. Just like in schools, there were bullies and you had to learn how to stand up to them or avoid them. In school you generally wound up using your fists whether you won or lost, or hid. All of this was great training for the work place, where you needed to use your wits instead of your fists. Just like in school, you had to earn your coworkers' and supervisors' respect in order to be left alone to do your job. I've been retired for almost a decade, but I don't believe that has changed.
One of the things that has changed in the time you've been out is social media and smart phones have extended the reach and speed of the bullies. In the past they were limited by speed of one on one contact and snail mail. Now they can bombard you 24/7 and demand responses in impossibly short time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment