Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 04:57 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times

Advertisements

You mention this at the offer stage of the process, when you're negotiating pay and start date. You don't muddy the water with it during the interview. Make them want to hire you during the interview. Don't hand them a reason not to hire you.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:59 AM

3,135 posts, read 2,258,290 times
This would be a HUGE red flag with me. The fact that you deliberately withheld this important information says things to me as a hiring manager that call into question your honesty and integrity. If that sounds harsh, welcome to corporate America. I’m sure most on here would disagree with that, but in the corporate world I came from that’s how it is.
Your best hope is to be honest right now and ask them to move your start date back if possible. If they refuse, find another job because this will follow you at this company. Ever heard of employees who have an asterisk by their name? It happens.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:21 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I would not want to work for a company who made me choose between them or a vacation (that is likely non-refundable).

That's a red-flag right there. If they are a company that cares about their people and value work/life balance, they will work around you.
If you can afford to walk away from a firm job offer—then kudos to you
Other people might have different situation
There are likely multiple fall back choices for the company to pick from in this climate-especially if they are making multiple hires
Cutting off your nose for a short term option vs getting a long term option is not smart thinking...
There are plenty of good companies that because of the nature of the business don’t let people take vacations at certain times—some even force vacation time at specific times...

Old 04-16-2019, 06:24 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
This would be a HUGE red flag with me. The fact that you deliberately withheld this important information says things to me as a hiring manager that call into question your honesty and integrity. If that sounds harsh, welcome to corporate America. I’m sure most on here would disagree with that, but in the corporate world I came from that’s how it is.
Your best hope is to be honest right now and ask them to move your start date back if possible. If they refuse, find another job because this will follow you at this company. Ever heard of employees who have an asterisk by their name? It happens.
LOL, whaaaat? This person hasn't even received a formal offer yet, why in the world would he start talking about planned vacations?

"So tell me about yourself, your background and why you want to work here."

"Yeah, hey....I have a vacation in 2 weeks that I need to take. Hope that's okay."

Old 04-16-2019, 06:52 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
I wouldn’t bring it up until the offer is in hand.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:04 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Quote:
I would not want to work for a company who made me choose between them or a vacation (that is likely non-refundable).

That's a red-flag right there. If they are a company that cares about their people and value work/life balance, they will work around you.

Not necessarily so. It's called "work" for a reason. I just filled a position, and I was able to work around the candidates plans. For this position, it is generally easy enough to do, so we do it. I manage another program in which the hiring and training is done by cohort. You can make the start date or you can't. You are not going to show up two weeks late. Too much ground has already been covered, the class has started to form relationships and gel, etc. I've got people standing in line for this opportunity, and I won't feel bad about going to the next person on the list.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:46 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Not necessarily so. It's called "work" for a reason. I just filled a position, and I was able to work around the candidates plans. For this position, it is generally easy enough to do, so we do it. I manage another program in which the hiring and training is done by cohort. You can make the start date or you can't. You are not going to show up two weeks late. Too much ground has already been covered, the class has started to form relationships and gel, etc. I've got people standing in line for this opportunity, and I won't feel bad about going to the next person on the list.
Companies should understand and respect people have lives outside of their jobs and these trips were likely booked before the job was even posted.

If they are a co who puts money before people, see ya!

I get businesses exist to make money, but morale and respect for employees is extremely important as well.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
LOL, whaaaat? This person hasn't even received a formal offer yet, why in the world would he start talking about planned vacations?

"So tell me about yourself, your background and why you want to work here."

"Yeah, hey....I have a vacation in 2 weeks that I need to take. Hope that's okay."

yes I agree, It comes off as presumptuous

Old 04-16-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
If you can afford to walk away from a firm job offer—then kudos to you
Other people might have different situation
There are likely multiple fall back choices for the company to pick from in this climate-especially if they are making multiple hires
Cutting off your nose for a short term option vs getting a long term option is not smart thinking...
There are plenty of good companies that because of the nature of the business don’t let people take vacations at certain times—some even force vacation time at specific times...
Sorry but I have a life that doesn't revolve around work. Any company that is going to hire me needs to understand, I don't eat, sleep & breathe work.

If that's what they want, bye Felicia.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:25 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:

I see what you’re saying but note that the employer isn’t the one that is forcing a choice - OP applied and interviewed for a job knowing a vacation was coming up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment