Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country?
Australia 4 2.00%
Belgium 2 1.00%
Canada 42 21.00%
Denmark 3 1.50%
France 13 6.50%
Germany 10 5.00%
The Netherlands 36 18.00%
New Zealand 5 2.50%
Sweden 16 8.00%
Switzerland 5 2.50%
United Kingdom 13 6.50%
United States 51 25.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 12:36 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,491,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
But what percentage? If France and England were each 35% non-white (for the entire country) like the U.S. is, then how tolerant would their societies be? They aren't, so we can't make a reasonable comparison.
Ethnicity is not the same as race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoricoco View Post
Not really. France and England have as many different ethnicities and religious minorities as the US.

Both countries are not new nations made up by immigrants as the US, but immigrants were absorbed.
I disagree with you(Actually not just disagree. It's simply not true), but what about Germany?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ant_population

Or Austria or Spain. France and the U.K. is all that you can think of.. huh..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 06:54 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,125,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I think the U.S. is the most tolerant, because there's really no apples-to-apples comparison with the other countries.

The U.S. has a very substantial population/percentage of different ethnic minorities and religious minorities. If a major European country had the same, I'm not sure how tolerant their society would be overall.
You have to remember immigrant nations like the US are the exceptions. Most Americans are immigrants, whereas people in Europe have lived there so long they are basically the true natives of the land. Europe is populated enough, so it wouldn't need a large influx of immigrants anyway, there'd be no good reason to let a lot of them in.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:32 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,403,014 times
Knee jerk reaction: the Netherlands. Close behind would be the Scandinavian countries. Seriously, countries where a family would sit in a sauna together nude? That's a little too much for most people.

US or Canada? Good try. In some respects, they are still neanderthal.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:54 PM

Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Knee jerk reaction: the Netherlands. Close behind would be the Scandinavian countries. Seriously, countries where a family would sit in a sauna together nude? That's a little too much for most people.

US or Canada? Good try. In some respects, they are still neanderthal.
Why would you come up with this example? Sauna? You never saw your parents nude at home? And where you got the sauna thing from anyway? That's a pretty odd example.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:23 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,024,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
You have to remember immigrant nations like the US are the exceptions. Most Americans are immigrants, whereas people in Europe have lived there so long they are basically the true natives of the land. Europe is populated enough, so it wouldn't need a large influx of immigrants anyway, there'd be no good reason to let a lot of them in.
How long does a "people" have to inhabit a land before they are "basically the true natives of the land"?

Old 05-05-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Why would you come up with this example? Sauna? You never saw your parents nude at home? And where you got the sauna thing from anyway? That's a pretty odd example.
Nope, to the bold type.

Someone posted this in another sub-forum on another thread. He went to a municipal aquatic center in Finland, swam in the pool, and went into their sauna, where he saw a family nude. He inquired if this was normal and the people there told him yes. I believe it.

I once saw a French kid, about age 8, playing with a volleyball with his topless mother on a beach in Corsica. As she played with him, her breasts bounced up and down in an alternating rhythm. Do I think that's appropriate? No, I don't. Ditto for the Germans and the Scandinavians and their penchant for nudism, which is fairly renowned in warm weather Europe.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Nope, to the bold type.

Someone posted this in another sub-forum on another thread. He went to a municipal aquatic center in Finland, swam in the pool, and went into their sauna, where he saw a family nude. He inquired if this was normal and the people there told him yes. I believe it.

I once saw a French kid, about age 8, playing with a volleyball with his topless mother on a beach in Corsica. As she played with him, her breasts bounced up and down in an alternating rhythm. Do I think that's appropriate? No, I don't. Ditto for the Germans and the Scandinavians and their penchant for nudism, which is fairly renowned in warm weather Europe.
I had a reply to this, actually, but then I deleted it. I don't really have words for this. LOL.

I hope your mom had a c-section. If not, you better don't look it up how child birth works.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I had a reply to this, actually, but then I deleted it. I don't really have words for this. LOL.

I hope your mom had a c-section. If not, you better don't look it up how child birth works.
Whatever. This seems to bother you. I think most people would rather NOT see members of their immediate family nude, even if they are fairly liberal.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Whatever. This seems to bother you. I think most people would rather NOT see members of their immediate family nude, even if they are fairly liberal.
It dosen't "bother" me. I just find it hilarious. It's not a question about "wanting" to see someone nude. If you live in the same house for 20 or so years and you didn't see your parents nude, then they put a lot of effort into hiding themselves from their little Robert. That's just funny to me. I probably saw my parents nude at home several times per week. I moved out right after High School, though. So I wasn't tortured for too long.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
It dosen't "bother" me. I just find it hilarious. It's not a question about "wanting" to see someone nude. If you live in the same house for 20 or so years and you didn't see your parents nude, then they put a lot of effort into hiding themselves from their little Robert. That's just funny to me. I probably saw my parents nude at home several times per week. I moved out right after High School, though. So I wasn't tortured for too long.
It's called "close the door." Most people just shut their bedroom door, and definitely the door to the bathroom, when they are changing or bathing, respectively. I wonder what would enable someone to see their parents nude several times a week. I would think that, on average, people might see a parent nude several times a year...and by accident. I'm talking about America. I have no clue where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World