Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country?
Australia 4 2.00%
Belgium 2 1.00%
Canada 42 21.00%
Denmark 3 1.50%
France 13 6.50%
Germany 10 5.00%
The Netherlands 36 18.00%
New Zealand 5 2.50%
Sweden 16 8.00%
Switzerland 5 2.50%
United Kingdom 13 6.50%
United States 51 25.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 09:30 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times

Advertisements

Canada is the most tolerant country in the world. They tolerate me. Sometimes I feel fearful about traveling south to the states- over the years I have been very vocal on the net concerning America- and a bit cutting and nasty- I just wonder if I am on the no entry list? Or maybe I am full of self importance and not such an irritant as I might think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 09:45 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
It's called "close the door." Most people just shut their bedroom door, and definitely the door to the bathroom, when they are changing or bathing, respectively. I wonder what would enable someone to see their parents nude several times a week. I would think that, on average, people might see a parent nude several times a year...and by accident. I'm talking about America. I have no clue where you are.
I'm in Texas.
There are people who shower in the bathroom and go to the bedroom to get dressed. Or you gotta go into the bathroom and grab something. Or they just need to get out of the bathroom because they forgot something. It's not that hard unless you don't go into hiding.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:47 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,557,244 times
how can a country like Netherlands that tried to ban Jewish and Muslim slaughtering of animals for meat, be called tolerant?

at least 3 countries (Sweden, New Zealand, and Switzerland) that banned Jewish and Muslim slaughtering of animals for meat are on this list.

the Scandanavian countries are amongst the most anti semetic 1st world countries in the world.

the french banned religious item's like yarmulkes, hijabs, and large crosses in public schools.

in recent years the chief rabbi of France and different parts of Germany (the latter which due to guilt from their actions during the Nazi era is actualy one of the best country's un Western Europe today) Jews not to where yarmulkes because of fear of anti semetic attacks. (I don't remember this happening anytime in the past decade anywhere in the US)

I guess you can discriminate against religions and be called "tolerant" if your in favor of things that have nothing to do with tolerance like public nudity and prostitution, marriage redefinition, drugs, euthanasia and other such disgusting behaviors.

though I have to give you some credit at least you didn't include Norway in this list.

Last edited by NY Jew; 05-05-2012 at 10:26 PM..

Old 05-06-2012, 12:00 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
How long does a "people" have to inhabit a land before they are "basically the true natives of the land"?
Long enough that they've forgotten when they came.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:05 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,571 times
No idea. Nothing binds us more as human beings than our ability to think we are being persecuted or be overrun by real or perceived threats.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:27 AM

355 posts, read 977,403 times
Iceland, New Zealand and Czech Republic. In that order...

Old 05-06-2012, 11:02 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,859 times
18 for the US and yet none for Australia?
From what I know Australians are quite laid back, whereas the US is full of uptight fundamentalist Christians.

Also, I voted Netherlands.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:13 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Nope, to the bold type.

Someone posted this in another sub-forum on another thread. He went to a municipal aquatic center in Finland, swam in the pool, and went into their sauna, where he saw a family nude. He inquired if this was normal and the people there told him yes. I believe it.

I once saw a French kid, about age 8, playing with a volleyball with his topless mother on a beach in Corsica. As she played with him, her breasts bounced up and down in an alternating rhythm. Do I think that's appropriate? No, I don't. Ditto for the Germans and the Scandinavians and their penchant for nudism, which is fairly renowned in warm weather Europe.
Nudism is not that common in Norway, neither are saunas. In Germany nude bathing is much more accepted.

What about those naked men in San Francisco? At least Europeans have the decency to be naked on a beach or in a sauna.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:17 AM

355 posts, read 1,190,370 times
[quote=NY Jew;24177059]how can a country like Netherlands that tried to ban Jewish and Muslim slaughtering of animals for meat, be called tolerant?

the french banned religious item's like yarmulkes, hijabs, and large crosses in public schools.

in recent years the chief rabbi of France and different parts of Germany (the latter which due to guilt from their actions during the Nazi era is actualy one of the best country's un Western Europe today) Jews not to where yarmulkes because of fear of anti semetic attacks. (I don't remember this happening anytime in the past decade anywhere in the US)

Because the U.S is a very large country and they have large ghettoes were you can wear yarmulkes or dress like Great Inquisitor Torquemada if you want. But here we all live crowded and PUBLIC OSTENTATION of ANY FAITH is considered OBSCENE and GROSS, REPULSIVE.

Anyways, you can wear your yarmulke during Carnivals or the yellow star if you want.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:36 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,972,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
how can a country like Netherlands that tried to ban Jewish and Muslim slaughtering of animals for meat, be called tolerant?

at least 3 countries (Sweden, New Zealand, and Switzerland) that banned Jewish and Muslim slaughtering of animals for meat are on this list.
That's odd: I would rather call this a sign of civilization. I don't give a rat's ass wether it's a tradition or not: it's downright cruel and I hope more nations will follow this example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World