Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Canadians sound like Americans?
No, I can tell the accents apart easily, regardless of the generation of speakers 72 24.16%
Older Canadians don't, but younger Canadians have that American twang 14 4.70%
They sound somewhat like Americans but not exactly 156 52.35%
Canadians of all ages sound like Americans to me 56 18.79%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 08:32 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,261,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
I mean, could you tell a Venezuelan accent from a Panamanian? Probably not. To many ESL learners, English just sounds like English, and it takes a long time to differentiate the different accents and dialects
The only foreign accent I can identify is the Spanish one and only because I holidayed there alot. They all sound similar to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 08:57 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,282,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
The United States doesn't have a very large amount of accents for its size and I find the more as time goes on the more the accents absorb. For me I can identify the following accents:

1. NYC/North Jersey.
2. Tennessee.
3. West coast, i'm not sure what area it is but every time I hear it on tv I know its from the West coast.
4. The South.
5. Chicago.
Chicago accent... I lived there a few years. I never really heard a AUTHENTIC CHICAGO accent living on the Northwest side. But a couple years back on a visit. On the way back to Midway Airport by Taxi express trips to the Airports. The driver HAD THE TRUE CHICAGO ACCENT I MISSED HEARING MY YEARS THERE.

It seems it is mostly limited to some Southside White neighborhoods. Not really City wide anymore.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:10 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,261,452 times
I'm thinking its like this? http://youtu.be/66JhASBAbLI

Its a wee bit like Lois on family guy lol.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:24 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
I would love to see what foreign people see the accent as. Like can they differentiate between Irish and English etc.
My Asian friends can, easily. What they have a hard time differentiating are White English and Black English accents, for example. But, if they listen closely, they can tell too.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:58 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Chiming in on the OP here...

My family is Canadian. We are French-speaking, second language English speakers.

My kids are growing up in a francophone environment. They have basic spoken and written second language English at this point but can understand it pretty well.

They can tell a British accent apart from a North American one. Not sure they can distinguish an Australian from an Englishman though.

The outlier American accents like Southerners they can identify.

But they can't really distinguish your average Anglo-Canadian English accent from the neutral/mainstream American accent that 100-150 million (or more) Americans have.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:06 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,995,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

But they can't really distinguish your average Anglo-Canadian English accent from the neutral/mainstream American accent that 100-150 million (or more) Americans have.
As someone from south of the border, I have to say that I too have trouble telling the difference.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:16 PM

728 posts, read 975,482 times
I'm currently in Quebec and everyone thinks I'm from Toronto. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:25 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
they do when you pull on their finger

Old 05-24-2015, 10:02 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Like in the U.S., Canadians can have a variety of accents depending on where they are and what external influences they experience over time. Accents, especially those in highly mobile cultures and in ones where immigration represents a significant percentage of population (again, over time), will usually morph and homogenize. With the globe getting smaller and smaller in terms of communications in particular, expect more change in English language use across the continent and the world.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:59 PM

349 posts, read 489,019 times
They certainly sound LIKE Americans, but of course few sound 100% IDENTICAL to Americans I'd say. Like others have said, there are regional variations too. For me it's mostly a few words and vowels, but also the cadence/intonation, which is more subtle. A teenager in Vancouver or Toronto sounds more American-influenced (mostly the General American type accent) than say an old person in Nova Scotia or Saskatchewan. The Upper Midwest accent, e.g. in Fargo, sounds like the stereotypical Canadian accent to me with the distinct rounded 'o'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World