Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2016, 09:30 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,051,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Keep trying.

( I love it when Americans have to remove large parts of their society to argue how well they are doing )
Sorry, but government can't parent children born to mothers who don't care and fathers who don't even know they're fathers. Our history of immigration and slavery is not Canada's history of immigration. Our population is not Canada's population. You're trying to compare one or two cuts of beef to the whole cow. It's rather silly to compare the two if you think about it rationally.

The US has provided me the opportunity to make a great life for my family. That's all anybody can ask of their country. The rest is up to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 09:49 PM

7,681 posts, read 5,530,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Sorry, but government can't parent children born to mothers who don't care and fathers who don't even know they're fathers. Our history of immigration and slavery is not Canada's history of immigration. Our population is not Canada's population. You're trying to compare one or two cuts of beef to the whole cow. It's rather silly to compare the two if you think about it rationally.

The US has provided me the opportunity to make a great life for my family. That's all anybody can ask of their country. The rest is up to me.
So why did you suggest that the U.S. and Canada could unite and work together? Using your analogy, we're different cuts of beef.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:56 PM

1,147 posts, read 718,489 times
Quote:
Keep trying.

( I love it when Americans have to remove large parts of their society to argue how well they are doing )
Nearly every society has an underclass, so I don't get why Americans are so adamant to cover up theirs.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:07 PM

153 posts, read 164,200 times
Quote:
It goes beyond commerce. Canadians and the US have things in common but many things different. Before Canada would even consider a open border type relationship , you guys would have to get your gun issues fixed, allow unhindered access to abortions, get rid of anti LGBTQ laws in states that allow a person to be fired, give paid maternity/paternity leave, have a good universal healthcare plan, truly ban religion in your politics and many more cultural differences., like accepting Quebec and having English and French as official languages.

The pressure US interests would put on Canada, especially if we had the same currency would be huge. Why would we want to give up what we have?

It seems to be an American fantasy that other countries want to join the US when the opposite is true.
Quote:
I am all for fair trade deals. I just don't think giving up our sovereignty with open borders is viable. How long before the US military is insisting THEY be the ones managing all our entry points?

However benign some Americans believe they are, most of the world sees it differently.
Quote:
Keep trying.

Seems your view on the world seeing a US and Canada uniting in the presumed possibilities? Is clearly a NO WAY to you. But even overall? Canadians see their identity NOT as Americans too? Has become a "How dare you suggest Canadians would accept it stand?" Seeding they have a new found separate identity more and more. Has many not seeing it on the Canadian side. But on the US side it already would be a "Why Not". Most Canadians on C-D boast a separate identity from Americans and even Europeans know it is offensive to mistaken a Canadian as American.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I agree with you, I think the Canadian and American mentalities are very different, more so than many people realize. And the US right now is very divided, bi-polar and aggressive. My assumption is that Canadians wouldn't be interested in joining.
This is clear on C-D from most Canadians as looking down upon the US (pun intended) is very obvious.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:13 AM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I don't see why Bielorussia was separated from Russia en 1991. Ah yes , it happened, experts say, "following Stalin's Soviet Constitution". Seriously. So if I understand well the people who took that decision -first and foremost pro-western leader Boris Yeltsin-wanted to abide to Stalin's rules? what the heck ?
American "economic advisers" were insisting on dissolution of the Soviet Union, in spite of the all-union referendum where the majority of Soviet population wanted to keep the USSR.
Of course Ukraine-Russia-Belorussia should have stayed united, but with that's being said, Ukraine voted to go its own way only after an attempted coup of the hard-liners against Gorbachev, and Russia's government later on was all about "Harvard economic advisers," promised loans and a dumb belief that once all those "dependents" are dropped off, the prosperity of the Russian Federation ( starting with prosperity of those that were signing all these agreements) would skyrocket; ( they were right about the second part of course, as for the first one - not so much.)
And that's how the Belavezha agreement has been signed, behind everyone's back. And that's how Ukraine, Belorussia and Ukraine were split apart.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:27 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
It goes beyond commerce. Canadians and the US have things in common but many things different. Before Canada would even consider a open border type relationship , you guys would have to get your gun issues fixed, allow unhindered access to abortions, get rid of anti LGBTQ laws in states that allow a person to be fired, give paid maternity/paternity leave, have a good universal healthcare plan, truly ban religion in your politics and many more cultural differences., like accepting Quebec and having English and French as official languages.

The pressure US interests would put on Canada, especially if we had the same currency would be huge. Why would we want to give up what we have?

It seems to be an American fantasy that other countries want to join the US when the opposite is true.
As your post points out most differences between Canada and the US are political. The two nations are separate countries today because of a political divide (revolution). However an EU type arrangement does not require us to unite in all ways regarding our laws and policies. I think it's benificial for both nations to protect those differences as the goal of economic union would be to give North Americans more choice and a better life, not to completely unify our cultures or governments. No self respecting US or Canadian citizen should accept a loss of sovereignty like that anyway. In the EU Germany is still Germany and France is still France. I am at a loss to see how it would be different if we did it here in North America. You mention the gun laws for example, well that is easy to solve as if you break Canadian gun laws you go to jail. I do believe most Americans would respect Canada's laws when crossing an open border, and if they don't they pay for it. I am sure the same is true for Canadians who visit or choose to live in the US.

The fears of Canadians of having gun toting Americans showing up carrying thier bibles is likely unfounded because those people are not going to move up there. More likely any Americans who would mive north are going to do it because they like Canadian values. The same is true of Canadians moving south, those who do it are likely to be those who admire American values, not those who want more government services and gun control. Millions on both sides of the border would have a choice between the two different systems, I can't help but think that would be a good thing.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:07 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Thanks for this great explanation. Goes to show that it takes a lot more than a common language to unify a country.
Regardless of this, Germany and Austria are more alike than different so I can see why some people would think about uniting them. There is hardly another pair of countries that is more alike.
Not that I personally am in favor of uniting them but they are very similar in many regards.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:16 AM

8,866 posts, read 8,448,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Regardless of this, Germany and Austria are more alike than different so I can see why some people would think about uniting them. There is hardly another pair of countries that is more alike.
Not that I personally am in favor of uniting them but they are very similar in many regards.
Similar or not, the reality is that Austrians don't want that, same goes for Canadians, that's what matters the most, and what (annoying) imperialists never get.

Old 11-29-2016, 03:11 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
South Tyrol should go back to its mother country Austria, even now , it's still majority German speaking. Of course Italy and the eu would be opposed to that. I hope that with the new Austrian President Andreas Hofer something will be done by the austrians to strenghten their ties with South Tyrol.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:05 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,051,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
So why did you suggest that the U.S. and Canada could unite and work together? Using your analogy, we're different cuts of beef.
No, Canada is comprised of just a few the cuts that are within the US, but as much as many Americans and Canadians like to think that we're very different, we're not. This was hypothetical exercise anyway. Heck, half of Quebec and Ontario spend 5.9999 months a year in Florida already.

Last edited by Return2FL; 11-29-2016 at 05:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World