Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 05:23 PM

99 posts, read 522,319 times

Advertisements

Whom do u think has been the best leader in the world ever? Include him/her irrespective of his time, country. He can be a politician, your team's coach or some other known personality. My vote goes for Martin Luther King Jr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 19,532 times
Default Best Leader in the world

I've actually thought quite often about this and have come to the conclusion that there is no such person (especially when the question includes the words "the world"), because we then measure and compare that individual(s) with others persons that come from a part the world and culture that we are most familiar with. But if we can ask, who was the best leader that most dramatically changed the staus quo of a world that needed changing, that person, without a doubt would be Mahatme Gandhi. The way he combined political savy with spiritual belief of active non-violence and non-copperation to free India from the British Raj... a feat unparrelles in history. The last part of his life (especially the last several years) reads like something out of myth and religious scripture.

After Gandhi's death, Albert Einstein said of Gandhi: "Generations to come will scarcely believe that such a one as this walked the earth in flesh and blood." He also once said," I believe that Gandhi's views were the most enlightened of all the political men in our time. We should strive to do things in his spirit: not to use violence in fighting for our cause, but by non-participation in anything you believe is evil."

Old 05-18-2007, 06:57 PM

77 posts, read 414,206 times
I totally agree with you serafin. To do what he did and the way he did it in the modern era of our time was astonishing. There is not one leader in the world today of any country, religon, or political arm that can do what he did. It seems that the leaders of the world today only know how to manipulate the masses either through violence, rhetoric, or fear of others. I am speaking of ALL leaders.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:45 PM

13,607 posts, read 21,389,656 times
George Washington and Winston Churchill,both hero's of mine.If you want me to elaborate why I will...

Old 05-19-2007, 01:01 AM

356 posts, read 1,179,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
George Washington and Winston Churchill,both hero's of mine.If you want me to elaborate why I will...
Mine too. And I would add Boris Yeltsin (spelling?) from Russia.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:10 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,623,897 times
Gandhi and Gorbachev,Aung San Suu Kyi, in recent memory. Non political leaders but leaders of Men , William Wilberforce and friends, Abbe Pierre , Tony Benn, the White Rose movement in nazi Germany,Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, anybody who puts their lives and livelihoods on the line for others rather than their own selfish motives. People who have fought and still do against slavery, human rights abuses,injustice etc... These are the people we should look up to , not intellectually and morally challenged celebrities and corrupt politicians trying to line their own pockets.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:20 AM

989 posts, read 2,761,795 times
Default This one goes back a ways...

Peter the Great.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:36 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Hadrian...

Old 05-19-2007, 11:32 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Since it wasn't limited to good, I suppose that purely based on ability to get people to follow and do one's bidding that Hitler must be included on the list. I don't know if it's the clarity of hindsight or my lack of German language knowledge but everytime I see newsreel footage he seems so obviously a madman yet people followed him.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:31 PM

13,607 posts, read 21,389,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Since it wasn't limited to good, I suppose that purely based on ability to get people to follow and do one's bidding that Hitler must be included on the list. I don't know if it's the clarity of hindsight or my lack of German language knowledge but everytime I see newsreel footage he seems so obviously a madman yet people followed him.
He might have been able to rally people behind him but ultimately he was a bad leader in the fact that he destroyed the country.A bad leader believes he or she is above the people.

To me a best leader is someone who puts their a** on the line and people follow by example.A great leader is someone who has ambition,yet puts the good of the people above personal ambition.A great leader is someone who will listen to others yet ultimately takes charge.A great leader is someone who knows their weaknesses and learns from others and has stregnth to take charge and makes people believe in themselves,not in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World