Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2015, 10:38 AM

483 posts, read 692,192 times

Advertisements

Some classic blunders I’ve been storing up:

Folks who are not artists, and yet mysteriously write “aquatinted” when they mean “acquainted”. (Like, how did you look at that and think it was correct?)

Folks who now uniformly think that on account of rap stars and slang for underwear, they are putting things in their “kitchen draws”.

Only acceptable to me perhaps if you’re stenciling on said chest of draw*ER*s!

The genius on the online dating site who gave himself the handle, “UsernameoutofCHOOSES”, I kid you not. (I thought, “sorry Charlie, any man who thinks “chooses” is interchangeable with “choices”, I wouldn’t touch with another woman’s uterus.”)

Closed captioners, there have been some dillies, including one that actually listed a coral reef discussion as “Coral Reeves”. (Yes, like it was Christopher Reeve's sister.) I thought, no. Just no. No talking head on MSNBC has ever said “reeves” for “reefs”. I refuse to believe it.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:02 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,656,002 times
Dude weighs 80 pounds soak and wet.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:40 PM

19,138 posts, read 25,356,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskittytalks View Post
Folks who are not artists, and yet mysteriously write “aquatinted” when they mean “acquainted”. (Like, how did you look at that and think it was correct?)

Folks who now uniformly think that on account of rap stars and slang for underwear, they are putting things in their “kitchen draws”.

Only acceptable to me perhaps if you’re stenciling on said chest of draw*ER*s!

The genius on the online dating site who gave himself the handle, “UsernameoutofCHOOSES”, I kid you not. (I thought, “sorry Charlie, any man who thinks “chooses” is interchangeable with “choices”, I wouldn’t touch with another woman’s uterus.”)

Closed captioners, there have been some dillies, including one that actually listed a coral reef discussion as “Coral Reeves”. (Yes, like it was Christopher Reeve's sister.) I thought, no. Just no. No talking head on MSNBC has ever said “reeves” for “reefs”. I refuse to believe it.

The folks who use "aquatinted" in place of "acquainted" are probably the same ones who substitute "defiantly" for "definitely".

As to substituting "draws" for "drawers", that mistake--sadly--is not confined to the younger crowd that follows rap stars and their lyrics. About 15 years ago, I received a mailing from a woman who had already retired from my profession, and who was seeking employment as a consultant. Her mailing stated, "Even if you don't think you need my services now, I suggest that you put this letter in your top desk draw for future reference". The woman was ~67 years old at that time, and I can assure you that she went to school in "The Good Old Days", and that she was not a fan of rap music. Incidentally, the place where I chose to put her letter was...the trash.

Regarding the substitution of "chooses" for "choices", I suppose that this would not be a quantum leap in misusage for the folks who don't know the difference between "lose" and "loose". Sadly, the percentage of the population that makes this mistake is...very high.

And, regarding closed captioning, like you I have seen some almost incredible mistakes on the bottom of my screen. I sometimes wonder if the person typing that verbiage (assuming that it is a person) is a native speaker of English!

Old 06-20-2015, 04:13 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,975,405 times
"Pink Slim Kills Business, Every Time" The poster went on to write, "Pink slim? Problems with the Mc Nuggets."

At least it wasn't black mold

Old 06-20-2015, 04:25 PM

4,190 posts, read 3,407,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
"Pink Slim Kills Business, Every Time" The poster went on to write, "Pink slim? Problems with the Mc Nuggets."

Famed Mississippi bluesman, Pink Slim McNuggets....

Old 06-20-2015, 05:22 PM

37,121 posts, read 41,309,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
And, regarding closed captioning, like you I have seen some almost incredible mistakes on the bottom of my screen. I sometimes wonder if the person typing that verbiage (assuming that it is a person) is a native speaker of English!

We have to give closed captioners a break, I think.

Remember that if it is a live broadcast they are transcribing as the words are spoken. They have no opportunity to correct mistakes. Some of it may be done with voice recognition software, too. For shows not seen in real time, the typist has the script and can add such things as "spooky music playing".

Real gibberish is probably due to a problem with hardware, either on the TV or getting the signal from the typist to the show itself.

Edited to add: You can make good money doing closed captioning.

http://www.closedcaptioningjobs.com/

Old 06-20-2015, 05:59 PM

Another words target resources toward peoples strengths, not their deficiencies.

Second time I've seen this poster use that.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:06 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,548,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post

Hey! There's the award winning poster! Congrats, Scooby Snacks on the CD award.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Another words target resources toward peoples strengths, not their deficiencies.

Second time I've seen this poster use that.
It sounds like when my iPad types up my text messages. I can even post on CD without typing, but I never do because of the frequent misspelluns!!

Old 06-20-2015, 08:44 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,450,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
For sale via Pinterest:
My sister-in-law says she was put on this earth for one reason and one reason only and that is to aggravate my brother. Ordinarily her grammar is very good, but I wonder why she always spells mama like this: mamma.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
My sister-in-law says she was put on this earth for one reason and one reason only and that is to aggravate my brother. Ordinarily her grammar is very good, but I wonder why she always spells mama like this: mamma.
It is an alternative spelling, as is momma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.